Toronto 2280 Dundas West | 127.5m | 38s | Choice Properties | Hariri Pontarini

I've been noticing my own uncredited photos showing up in their presentation materials. I hope that's not a sign of their overall laziness and cheapening out on everything....
That's interesting...I was quibbling last week in a prior post as to how the pics are uncredited, unindexed and lack explaining text, as well as the report syntax being hard to follow at times. I suspect there's a marketing company behind a lot of it separate from the architects. Whatever, it is poor form, to say the least.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress or changes to the plans on this site? I'm new to living in this area and would love to see something happen with this space...

Does anyone know if there has been any progress or changes to the plans on this site? I'm new to living in this area and would love to see something happen with this space...
This is a huge project, and as it requires an Official Plan Amendment, it's taking longer. The City has a huge amount to consider here. Hopefully we'll see some behind-the-scenes work turn into public progress soon though!

Residents rally for affordable housing at Bloor and Dundas

A redevelopment announced two years ago was expected to transform the Bloor and Dundas neighbourhood, but an official proposal has yet to be presented to the city. Ginella Massa on what is holding up the ambitious plans.

Oct 28, 2019, 11:21 PM

This one may sit idle for a while longer. Apart from the pursuit for more affordable housing from local residents, the main take away from the City News report is the ongoing complications surrounding the Bishop Marrocco-Thomas Merton high school. There hasn't been a resolution to the fact that the TDSB owns the land at that corner of Bloor & Dundas West, and lease it out to the Catholic board to have the school on site. In order to proceed, Choice REIT will have to negotiate a way to replace the Catholic school and pay the TDSB for the land value of the property. None of that work has been completed yet, so they're still not in a position to move forward with an official application to the City.

Last edited:
A few renderings I haven't seen before (not in the database):

1580075511531.png

1580075538537.png

1580075549286.png

1580075597440.png

1593295502719.png

Last edited:
Someone explain to me how we're going to end up with potentially one of the most beautiful developments in the city at one corner of Dundas and Bloor, while on the other corner of that intersection we're going to be graced with one of the biggest piles of horsecrap formerly known as Giraffe condos?

This city really never ceases to amaze.

Sure, I can explain. None of the buildings have been designed yet. These are conceptual renders done as part of the master plan, without any of the constraints or inevitable value engineering that will happen when it comes time to build them. It's really too early to say whether it will be one of the most beautiful developments in the city.

The renders above, as @smably points out are barely conceptual and to be evaluated accordingly.

That said.....I make two observations.

1) The ground floor, where it exists, looks rather corporate. Hardly the end of the world........but doesn't show (in theory) the fine-grain-ness of a Mirvish Village.

2) The building on stilts next to the rail corridor (odd for something not in a flood plain) , show plants growing underneath. That would, at minimum require irrigation, since it ain't raining under the building....I hope.

But the light level could be a problem. Very few plants actually die do to an absence of darkness, but many don't perform as well.

The level of natural light would be awfully low for some of those plants; while artificial light 24/7 not ideal either.

Just wondering.

So what's going on with this development? I haven't heard anything in a long time.

My post from Oct 31, 2019 along with the video report from CityNews about this project's status:

This one may sit idle for a while longer. Apart from the pursuit for more affordable housing from local residents, the main take away from the City News report is the ongoing complications surrounding the Bishop Marrocco-Thomas Merton high school. There hasn't been a resolution to the fact that the TDSB owns the land at that corner of Bloor & Dundas West, and lease it out to the Catholic board to have the school on site. In order to proceed, Choice REIT will have to negotiate a way to replace the Catholic school and pay the TDSB for the land value of the property. None of that work has been completed yet, so they're still not in a position to move forward with an official application to the City.

Back