Toronto 2280 Dundas West | 127.5m | 38s | Choice Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Wow that kind of escalated, I am not sure if anyone actually read my original post. I am by no means opposed to this project.
I am taking a view as someone who grew up and still lives in the area and rides a bike everywhere, I don;t even own a car and could really care less about the added traffic. But the truth of the matter is that if you already live in the area then this will cause a lot of traffic congestion. Regardless of what planners or experts or urban dreamers think is ideal, the fact of the matter is that traffic will be worse here with more development and people will not like it and the developer will have to put a lot of work into managing traffic in and around the area. The dog poo issue is also another reality of dense urban living.One of the most contentious issues in all the new high rise neighbourhood parks is doggy doo-doo, Ana Bailao and Mike Layton have a motion at council next week to Study Innovative Dog Waste Solutions in our Parks.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.MM39.5
I encourage SteveinToronto to call Ana or Mike and ask them why they are wasting their time with this motion since apparently there is no doo doo problem as I claim.
They have been bombarded with complaints about dog shit in their new parks, Lisgar park in Ana Bailaos ward and June Callwoods in Mike Laytons ward. I am sure that as this development proceeds it will include a dog park and a doggy doo doo management plan.

But the truth of the matter is that if you already live in the area then this will cause a lot of traffic congestion. Regardless of what planners or experts or urban dreamers think is ideal, the fact of the matter is that traffic will be worse here with more development and people will not like it and the developer will have to put a lot of work into managing traffic in and around the area.
If they drive cars, obviously. But if they cycle and walk, more power to them. I live a few steps from the corner, and have done so this time in Toronto for three years now, two years a block away six years ago, and grew up on Annette for many years. I witness the congestion daily, and watch the litany of bad mannered drivers fly through the intersection or make illegal turns blocking the streetcars and others. No-one that I'm in contact with in this neighbourhood is against intensification. It's not a question of 'if'. It's one of 'how'.

The dog poo issue is also another reality of dense urban living.One of the most contentious issues in all the new high rise neighbourhood parks is doggy doo-doo,
Here's what you wrote:
I think they are off to a good start, but traffic will definitely be a nightmare here.

Planners can dream all they want about a car free society and a city where dog owners actually pick up after their pets but there are some realities that exist. People will probably continue to use cars. Businesses will continue to use trucks and vans to make deliveries and surface transit will probably increase and add to congestion. Oh, and dog shit will be everywhere and the day the new park opens the local councillors office will be flooded with complaints.
If you blow hot and cold, and both directions at the same time, don't be surprised when your quotes contradict themselves.

If I have a concern about "congestion", it's not vehicular beyond what already exists, that development can be moulded to reflect the massive demand from those who don't own a car and don't want to. The congestion concern is for the Bloor Subway. It's already beyond capacity at peak.

All the more reason to beef up transit along the rail corridor. And again, the amount of doggie doo around this intersection is minimal, if a concern at all. No shortage of smokers blocking entrances and their butts filling the sidewalks and gutters though.

Last edited:
I find it perplexing that some are so ready to diss the Choice REIT development at 2280 Dundas, when two buildings north of Bloor, this is being built with hardly a mention, other than the massive mess construction is leaving on the street, and traffic is being stymied on Dundas by it.
The Lnx Condo
Currently in the planning phase, this mixed use development at the corner of Dundas St. West and Bloor Street, Toronto offers an exciting opportunity to redevelop a long vacant property with street level commercial and residential units above. This unique project proposes a low rise building at Dundas Street and a high rise tower in the rear connected with a podium housing the common lobby and amenities.

SERVICES OFFERED
Project Management
Construction Management
Consulting Services

PROJECT VALUE

TBD

CLASS
Mixed Use Low and High Rise Condominium

COMPLETION DATE
TBD

lnx-construction-management.jpg

http://highstar.ca/construction-projects/dundas-west-towers/

That info is out of date, btw. It's being built at this very moment, and has been for the last three months or more.

LNX Condos is a new condominium project by Lormel Homes currently in pre-construction at 2376 Dundas Street West in Toronto, Ontario between the Junction and Bloordale Village neighbourhoods with proposed 29 storeys.

Register today for first access.

The proposed development would include a total of 375 residential units and 466 square metres of retail uses.Two levels of below- grade parking are proposed with 242 parking spaces. 288 bicycle parking spaces have been proposed.
lnxcondos7.jpg

[...]
upload_2018-4-20_22-25-6.png

http://www.thelnxcondos.ca/

Some will be more familiar with this as being the 'hole in the ground directly west of the Bloor GO station where the walkway used to be'.

Community acceptance for this project is 'below ground' to put it euphemistically. It was initially proposed to be a Metrolinx transit hub location to include the Dundas West station and buses.

DUNDAS WEST - BLOOR MOBILITY HUB

• Metrolinx completed the Dundas West – Bloor Mobility Hub Study in June 2011. The study developed a long-term vision for the Bloor GO Station, a future stop on the Union-Pearson Air Rail Link, the Dundas West TTC station, and the surrounding lands. It includes a plan to integrate the various transit services and improve connections to transit facilities from the adjacent neighbourhoods as well as concepts for redeveloping underused sites nearby. The study is available below.

Mobility Hub Study

A summary of data on the Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub is available in this Mobility Hub Profile.

Public Information Session – December 10, 2012
    Metrolinx hosted a public open house for the Dundas West-Bloor Mobility Hub Study on December 10, 2012.

Approximately 50 people attended to learn the outcomes from the mobility hub study as well as the upcoming plans for Bloor GO Station. The presentation/display boards are available below.

Presentation/Display boards

Public Open House – May 23, 2011
    Metrolinx hosted a public open house for the Dundas West–Bloor Mobility Hub Study on Wednesday, March 23, 2011.

Over 75 people attended the event to learn more about the planned mobility hub and provide their feedback. The presentation and storyboards are available below.

Presentation
    Display boards
    Vision wall

• http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/mobilityhubs/mobility_hubs_Dundas_West_Bloor.aspx
But alas...some developers truly know how to rankle a neighbourhood.

Is it any wonder that the Roncies count their blessings with the 2280 proposal?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_22-25-6.png
    upload_2018-4-20_22-25-6.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 961
Last edited:
I find it perplexing that some are so ready to diss the Choice REIT development at 2280 Dundas, when two buildings north of Bloor, this is being built with hardly a mention, other than the massive mess construction is leaving on the street, and traffic is being stymied on Dundas by it.

The Lnx Condo
Currently in the planning phase, this mixed use development at the corner of Dundas St. West and Bloor Street, Toronto offers an exciting opportunity to redevelop a long vacant property with street level commercial and residential units above. This unique project proposes a low rise building at Dundas Street and a high rise tower in the rear connected with a podium housing the common lobby and amenities.

SERVICES OFFERED
Project Management
Construction Management
Consulting Services

PROJECT VALUE

TBD

CLASS
Mixed Use Low and High Rise Condominium

COMPLETION DATE
TBD

lnx-construction-management.jpg

http://highstar.ca/construction-projects/dundas-west-towers/

That info is out of date, btw. It's being built at this very moment, and has been for the last three months or more.

LNX Condos is a new condominium project by Lormel Homes currently in pre-construction at 2376 Dundas Street West in Toronto, Ontario between the Junction and Bloordale Village neighbourhoods with proposed 29 storeys.

Register today for first access.

The proposed development would include a total of 375 residential units and 466 square metres of retail uses.Two levels of below- grade parking are proposed with 242 parking spaces. 288 bicycle parking spaces have been proposed.
lnxcondos7.jpg

[...]
View attachment 140911
http://www.thelnxcondos.ca/

Some will be more familiar with this as being the 'hole in the ground directly west of the Bloor GO station where the walkway used to be'.

Community acceptance for this project is 'below ground' to put it euphemistically. It was initially proposed to be a Metrolinx transit hub location to include the Dundas West station and buses.

DUNDAS WEST - BLOOR MOBILITY HUB

• Metrolinx completed the Dundas West – Bloor Mobility Hub Study in June 2011. The study developed a long-term vision for the Bloor GO Station, a future stop on the Union-Pearson Air Rail Link, the Dundas West TTC station, and the surrounding lands. It includes a plan to integrate the various transit services and improve connections to transit facilities from the adjacent neighbourhoods as well as concepts for redeveloping underused sites nearby. The study is available below.

Mobility Hub Study

A summary of data on the Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub is available in this Mobility Hub Profile.

Public Information Session – December 10, 2012
    Metrolinx hosted a public open house for the Dundas West-Bloor Mobility Hub Study on December 10, 2012.

Approximately 50 people attended to learn the outcomes from the mobility hub study as well as the upcoming plans for Bloor GO Station. The presentation/display boards are available below.

Presentation/Display boards

Public Open House – May 23, 2011
    Metrolinx hosted a public open house for the Dundas West–Bloor Mobility Hub Study on Wednesday, March 23, 2011.

Over 75 people attended the event to learn more about the planned mobility hub and provide their feedback. The presentation and storyboards are available below.

Presentation
    Display boards
    Vision wall

• http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/mobilityhubs/mobility_hubs_Dundas_West_Bloor.aspx

But alas...some developers truly know how to rankle a neighbourhood.

Is it any wonder that the Roncies count their blessings with the 2280 proposal?
You mean this: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-lormel-homes-richmond-architects.8528/page-5 ?

You're out of date, the building's a rental. You can mention it in this thread, but please keep lengthy discussion of it to its own thread.

Meanwhile the thread for the Dundas West Mobility Hub is here: Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx) Again, take specific talk about it to its own thread.

In general, a little less use of the bludgeon would be appreciated in this thread, in fact.

You're out of date, the building's a rental. You can mention it in this thread, but please keep lengthy discussion of it to its own thread.
I mentioned the info being out of date. Rental or not, here's the point:
Shoring and excavation have commenced. Hopefully the city will put in the new traffic light here that was mentioned somewhere...
With lights there, and lights necessitated at 2280 if vehicular volume dictates, it's time for Planning to intercede. The new "Bloor West" will be choking with more traffic than even Yonge Street. Fortunately, Choice REIT appear aware of this. Finally a neighbourhood is being heard on their concerns, although only time will tell.

Animation up at Globe:
Animation shows proposed development at Bloor and Dundas in Toronto 2:08

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s one of the most impressive animations of a development proposal that I have ever seen, with respect to both the quality of the proposal and the animation itself.
Yeah, I've watched that several times. Obviously there's a massive budget that produced that, and like all promos, it's nirvana brought to life, but what's *very telling* (since this production would be reviewed and moulded by the principles) is the almost total lack of any significant vehicular traffic. That's not by accident, obviously, but even Dundas and Bloor as portrayed look sedate and relaxing....and that's obviously just not the case, and never will be save for rare occasions.

Even though the vid must have cost a bundle, it's an excellent promo tool, and will pay for itself many times over.

I can't make the presentation today, but look forward to what other posters can report on it, as they did last time.

One thing that really stood out in the vid is the positioning of the new Loblaws on the present Rocco playing field (north-east corner of plot) right next to the "new station" and fronted right onto Bloor. That's curious, but will discuss that further later. (edit to add: I'd missed the obvious, being right adjacent to the "new station" is exactly why it's there. It's not just the GO, it's the new pedestrian connections to Dundas West. Loblaws will be situated right on "the way home". And clearly the emphasis is on pedestrian traffic, much of that commuters)

lol...I've got to watch that vid again, some of the sight-lines as depicted are entrancing. Choice appear to be using this as being far beyond just a building project. There's a corporate 'vision' being promoted along with it. And credit to them if they can build even half of the spectacle in the vid.

Addendum: Just watched the vid yet again, and caught a few things I'd missed first viewings: The road exiting north beside the Loblaws is a new connection to Bloor. There's a severe traffic situation below the rail underpasses though: Traffic *flies* through there, dangerously so as anyone who cycles them knows. Not one set of traffic lights is displayed in the promo. By design, it is of course, idealized. But that street mentioned is going to have to be "Right turn only". A small point to make, but an important one, as to the neighbourhood, vehicular traffic reduction and taming is a massive factor, far more than building height even. That's going to be a continuing huge point of interest.

Also in the stills and in the vid, the ped/cycle bridge over the tracks running diagonally is only greyed in. IIRC, one of the earlier alignments was cancelled, due to "sharp angles". That was from the southeasternmost corner of the development. That is going to have to be revisited, but I suspect there must be ongoing discussions as to going more directly east to connect not only with West Toronto path, but through Castlepoint's Sterling development to the new Lansdowne GO station. It used to appear on the earlier renditions, it's now vague.

Last edited:
Making left turns from southbound Dundas Street West into the development could cause a problem with congestion. They should widen the street between Bloor and the south end of the development to get a left turn lane between the streetcar tracks. Unfortunately, we'll still have a problem with turners who take up two lanes to make their turn. Especially annoying are the compact cars taking up two lanes, understandable with trucks.

The "winter garden" looks open. Good for them to get a use out of The Crossways building to act as a wind barrier from the north winter winds.
Unfortunately, the Crossways does the opposite. The vertical aperture creates a jet-stream to the south, and a low pressure well to the north and south, such that side-winds blow into the Venturi. The Crossways wouldn't be approved for a number of reasons today, and that's one. How that 'wind tunnel' is affected by developments directly to the north and south remains a bit of a mystery.

I agree though on their "Winter Garden" but couldn't see any total enclosure for it from the animation. The animation is just schematic though.

Got into quite a heated discussion on parking spaces per occupant with some architects yesterday, with them arguing amongst themselves on it after my raising the point as per 2280. One went as far as to claim "They won't get approval without more spaces". Another stated the complete opposite, that (gist) "No parking spaces is exactly what's needed". Precedents for the latter have been set in Toronto. Certainly TorStar has picked up the discussion in a wider context, as recent "front page stories" have shown.

The vid started out in the Globe on Friday, and made it onto their opening page by yesterday.

But getting back to traffic issues...if traffic does increase, and this is 'pushed over the top' by the streetcars on Dundas, the streetcars are going to have to be looped in 2280, and accessed by pedestrian tunnel. And the ramp down in Roncy to access an underground loop is also going to have to be made large enough for a 'fly-under' of the Bloor intersection, which is already frantic with congestion. I'm not sure the City is ready to provide the infrastructure this project would render necessary.

Talk of "Is Bloor West the new Yonge Street?" will fail on the same points Yonge is. Lack of services and infrastructure improvements.

Without community support, this project would be doomed.

Unfortunately, the Crossways does the opposite. The vertical aperture creates a jet-stream to the south, and a low pressure well to the north and south, such that side-winds blow into the Venturi. The Crossways wouldn't be approved for a number of reasons today, and that's one. How that 'wind tunnel' is affected by developments directly to the north and south remains a bit of a mystery.

I agree though on their "Winter Garden" but couldn't see any total enclosure for it from the animation. The animation is just schematic though.

Got into quite a heated discussion on parking spaces per occupant with some architects yesterday, with them arguing amongst themselves on it after my raising the point as per 2280. One went as far as to claim "They won't get approval without more spaces". Another stated the complete opposite, that (gist) "No parking spaces is exactly what's needed". Precedents for the latter have been set in Toronto. Certainly TorStar has picked up the discussion in a wider context, as recent "front page stories" have shown.

The vid started out in the Globe on Friday, and made it onto their opening page by yesterday.

But getting back to traffic issues...if traffic does increase, and this is 'pushed over the top' by the streetcars on Dundas, the streetcars are going to have to be looped in 2280, and accessed by pedestrian tunnel. And the ramp down in Roncy to access an underground loop is also going to have to be made large enough for a 'fly-under' of the Bloor intersection, which is already frantic with congestion. I'm not sure the City is ready to provide the infrastructure this project would render necessary.

Talk of "Is Bloor West the new Yonge Street?" will fail on the same points Yonge is. Lack of services and infrastructure improvements.

Without community support, this project would be doomed.

The "winter garden" has slopping entrances to deflect the north winds over the "winter garden" (see left side).

Choice_OH3_Vw05_BloorElevation_Forweb.jpg

From link.

2280 DUNDAS ST W
Ward 14 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan Amendment for the lands at the southeast corner of Bloor Street West and Dundas Street West to facilitate a proposed mixed-use development.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type
Number Date Submitted Status
OPA 18 149172 STE 14 OZ Apr 26, 2018 Under Review

Back