Toronto 22 Condominiums | ?m | 23s | Lanterra | architectsAlliance

SeanTrans, I can understand that you may be getting a little frustrated with US and his somewhat AreBe-esque point of view on architecture and what it should be, but I don't really see any personal 'shots' or insults in there.

Urban Shocker has a point of view and he is simply arguing that point of view. I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

As for harsh personal shots, where are they?

Harsh personal shots, no. A total misrespresentation of my opinions, while not being able to avoid being personal (instead of a calm discussion of theory), certainly.

But I am a fun guy and it has been fun drawing out the ideology for all to see.

Perhaps my "American Apparel model" rationalization bridges (or ought to bridge) the gap btw/US and his/her anti's...

Hi guys, this is probably not the best place to ask these qustions but couldn't find any other sites.. lol

First of all, I am an university student who's thinking about moving in to this condo coming september.

I was doing some search on the internet and found this website.
You guys seem like know a lot about this building.

One thing I am worried about is that the construction is not finished yet.
Is it gonna be noisy because of the constrction? cuz I am looking for a quite building.

I had some terrible experience at 11 st.joseph cuz I could honestly hear what people say from my next door which is terribly annoying I ended up subletting my unit and moved out... 11 st.joseph was also window-covered building just like 22 wellesley. Is sound-barrier issue gonna be a problem in this building?

I would like to hear from you guys how the environment would be if I decide to live in this building.

BTW, the unit I am looking at is on 9th floor.

Any help will be greatly appereciated. Thanks :)

yeah all new condos have flimsy sound proofing (maybe not luxury buildings i hope not); besides, there's a chance the property next door will be redeveloped==could get noisy plus the ttc right next door is rather loud. Why not rent in a cheaper and quieter older apartment "slab" building? Plenty to be found in the area.

Soundproofing from neighbouring units and from outside city noise varies wildly from project to project. 22 may present a problem with buses accelerating out of the station. 2 of 3 condos I lived in were brilliantly soundproofed. One was bad for street noise, namely buses and trucks accelerating on Bay once the lights at the intersection outside my window turned green. Fire truck sirens were bad too with the fire hall on Grovsner Street.

2 of 3 condos I lived in were brilliantly soundproofed.

What were the key factors that ensured this? Window type? Materials used in walls? Something else? How do you think one could recognize a well-soundproofed apt/condo without living there?

What were the key factors that ensured this? Window type? Materials used in walls? Something else? How do you think one could recognize a well-soundproofed apt/condo without living there?

All of the above. Poured concrete between suites as opposed to cinderblock may be beneficial and quality floor materials are important. Bay street is very noisy with vehicle traffic so if your on a low floor on a busy street double paned windows can only do so much. I believe there is code now to minimize sound transmission between apartments, so newer buildings might be better. But then I've lived in apartments built in the 60's & 70's that are quiet. Best deal is if this is very important to you, sit and "take in the sounds" and ask the landlord, unit owner or canvas neighbours about soundproofing before signing on the dotted line. In the end there's always going to be noise downtown, you can't escape it so it's really about how sensitive you are to noise.

July 31st Photos:

965708721_04993952e8_b.jpg

966671890_ad7406a5d6.jpg

Ground Level:

965708857_788a1fb7da_b.jpg

965708799_0239bcbba6.jpg

Reflections:

965708837_788a1fb7da_b.jpg

From the second floor up it looks fine save for the undersides of the balconies. Now that people are moving in it seems unlikely that they'll be painted or surfaced. Street level needs some work repairing the sidewalk, curb and grounds directly in front of the property. It would be great if some of it were greened up with some creative landscaping in front of the building.
I must say that I'm green with envy to whomever has a top floor unit facing west with that monster terrace.

Must admit from yonge south of W it looks really good--a sort of glass "slab" tower. It's growing on me==and i believe the raw concrete was part of the aesthetic the developers were going for. What would be cool: paint them a vibrant green! Or hot pink.

Come to think of it I think your correct about the undersides of the balconies. I seem to recall concrete "feature walls" in some units and concrete ceilings.

Back