Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Something like the Shops at Don Mills would work here, IMO- maybe combined with community services and a public gathering space.

Parking can be in the form of multi-level garages, maybe shared with GO Transit.

Like i've said in the past, what happens with the Mondelez lands will either help transform Humber Bay or turn it into a full-fledged failed neighborhood. There shouldn't be a need for an ounce of residential development on these lands since the neighborhood lacks virtually everything that is needed to make a community successful. A community centre, schools, transit infrastructure, employment, and a variety of other things are all things that HBS desperately needs.

I am dead-set against the idea of no residential on the site. With a new GO station TTC hub, the site should be multi-use to the fullest extent of the term. The Agincourt Mall redevelopment scheme would not be a bad starting place; you find ground level retail, offices, residential, and more parkland on the site than the City requires. Add a school or two into the mix, integrate a community centre in with them, and you'd complete the scenario of what this are needs to be complete.

In the meantime, here's what it looked like earlier today:

Z01.jpg
Z02.jpg
Z03.jpg
Z04.jpg
Z05.jpg
Z06.jpg
Z07.jpg
Z08.jpg
Z09.jpg
Z10.jpg
Z11.jpg

Attachments

• Z01.jpg
    Z01.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Z02.jpg
    Z02.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 355
  • Z03.jpg
    Z03.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Z04.jpg
    Z04.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Z05.jpg
    Z05.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 355
  • Z06.jpg
    Z06.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Z07.jpg
    Z07.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Z08.jpg
    Z08.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Z09.jpg
    Z09.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Z10.jpg
    Z10.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Z11.jpg
    Z11.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 349
I am dead-set against the idea of no residential on the site. With a new GO station TTC hub, the site should be multi-use to the fullest extent of the term. The Agincourt Mall redevelopment scheme would not be a bad starting place; you find ground level retail, offices, residential, and more parkland on the site than the City requires. Add a school or two into the mix, integrate a community centre in with them, and you'd complete the scenario of what this are needs to be complete.
100% Agreed.

The proximity to downtown and the density of the area demands this. Hopefully we can get a greater number of 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom condos in this site, with in-building day-care facilities. (I hear nowadays, developers are happy to build day-cares in exchange for air rights)

We can see part of this site from one of our windows. I am eager to hear what will go in here. Language such as “Fully fledged failed neighbourhood” is unhelpful hyperbole but wise choices for this site can make the community truly special, even beyond the lake and the amazing park system on the doorstep.

A transport hub incorporating a GO station is an obvious choice. A school, possibly both public and Catholic, would enrich the neighbourhood. (Our address scored 82% on the walkability site. We think the absence of schools within walking distance was the main factor that prevented it from being higher. The cycling score on the same site was 100% by the way.). The extent of the need for retail is uncertain given the fact that we don’t know what will go in along Lake Shore Blvd, but some will both be necessary and, I think, profitable. If more residential structures are necessary to make this feasible, so be it.

I'm always in for a healthy debate, and I couldnt disagree more with the notion that residential development is needed on this site. HBS has enough residential activity already, to the point that this site would be a focal community hub even without a residential component included on this site. Half of the condos here arent even occupied yet and the area is already bustling with activity. Once the other half of residents move in, I highly doubt that having this site developed with no residential would lead it to becoming a ghost town or desolate during the evening hours, or over the weekends.

As for my statement about this area being a potential failed neighborhood, I agree in that yes it is an unhelpful hyperbole, but at this point it's the terminology that is needed to get both the province and the city seriously involved in changing things. Development here has gone ahead unchecked with the obvious lack of infrastructure everywhere, and this is the last chance to get it right. If it's done wrong then there's no reversing it, and ultimately even the things that make this neighborhood standout (ie: Humber Bay Park) wouldn't be enough to make people overlook the significant problems.

No doubt First Capital will have to offer jobs on the site for the OMB to agree to a change to a mixed-use zoning. I believe that First Capital wanted to offer them all as retail jobs, but it's more likely to fly if they include at least some commercial office space as well.

i dont get it, is this not all private lands? doesn't the city own land around there to build schools
Nope, there's no obvious vacant local City land for schools… and for First Capital to get everything they want on this site, they'll be offering public benefits. Apparently they're willing to consider school space. It'll be a while before we find out, though, just how much they will want for the requests being made of them.

As long as we get a new GO station and TTC hub here, I'm not worried about high density multi-use development on this site.

Back