Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

I heard rumours that it is sold to Tridel and they are planning 4 condo towers with a shopping centre.

Just putting that out there... I don't believe it.

There is a Metro and a Shoppers Drug Mart across the street (northeast corner) and other stores nearby already in other buildings along Lake Shore Blvd. W.. What's needed is a school or schools. Couples in the buildings may reproduce requiring such facilities, unless it's in their sales agreement.

I heard rumours that it is sold to Tridel and they are planning 4 condo towers with a shopping centre.

Just putting that out there... I don't believe it.
That would be the worst outcome possible for this area (asides from another 20 condo buildings added from Concord) and it would become an unmitigated failed disaster of a neighborhood if something like that ever happened.

Of course these are just rumors so i'll hold my breath.

Except that room for the supporting infrastructure would also have to be allocated. This would include a new streetcar loop at Park Lawn, schools, libraries, playgrounds, parks, fire station, police, water, sewers, electric transformers and cables, communication cables, etc..

The Park Lawn streetcar loop is planned for west of this site, not on this site. I would be surprised if a new police or fire station were felt necessary. Maybe a library. Probably a school, maybe even two, and if it's true that Tridel has this site now, based on their work at North Toronto C.I., they have all the experience they need to pull it off as part of a mixed use complex. It would be unthinkable not to have a park and playground (and if there are schools, a field). Not sure where you're going with "water, sewers, electric transformers and cables, communication cables, etc." as all of that can be accommodated below new streets, and within the footprint of buildings.

There's no way that this site won't end up with employment space… some of which should be retail/restaurant, and some of which should be office. The City would still like it to be industrial, of course.

The site should also connect with a new GO Station, ideally located with one end at the Humber Loop, the other end accessed from Park Lawn. I believe there's space under the Gardiner overpass to accommodate a platform.

Exactly. Tridel is not going away so I'm all for it if this site occupies them for several years or more.

Yes, I am not a big fan of Tridel but their Republic of Yonge & Eglinton project is a very good one.

Would people be that upset about something like that here?

If The Republic is all we have to look forward to here, we're in serious trouble.

It's also tremendously sad that the North American conception of a school seems fixed in sprawling, low-rise warehouses surrounded by grass fields and parking. If we valued land more than we do (among other variables), we might have a chance at looking forward to something like Christian Kerez's spectacular Leutschenbach School in Switzerland:

ck.jpg

But why bother investing in kids? It's not like they'll know the difference...

If The Republic is all we have to look forward to here, we're in serious trouble.

It's also tremendously sad that the North American conception of a school seems fixed in sprawling, low-rise warehouses surrounded by grass fields and parking. If we valued land more than we do (among other variables), we might have a chance at looking forward to something like Christian Kerez's spectacular Leutschenbach School in Switzerland:

ck.jpg

But why bother investing in kids? It's not like they'll know the difference...

Please, we're not good enough for that!

Back