Hamilton 213 King Street West | 94.3m | 30s | Vrancor Development | ZO1

Time to set land aside for green space downtown as you guys densify those parking lots. Don't wait until they're built over!
I'd really like to see Hamilton get a few POPs. We don't have a single urban park except for Gore Park and maybeeee in front of the federal building.

Beyond that I can't think of a place where the public can sit, catch some shade or just chill downtown without being in Gore Park, in a private patio, or just on he street.

Time to set land aside for green space downtown as you guys densify those parking lots. Don't wait until they're built over!
To be honest, we've tried that and it ended in disaster (Rebecca Park). Hamilton needs condos, and the residents and money they will bring much more than green space unfortunately.

TOTALLY agree. And NOT Rebecca park lol. There was actually a park they had further down with giant mature trees and they kept the trees and build the buildings on both sides with a path down the middle - looks beautiful - we just need to marry nature with what we build so it feels natural.

And there's no reason we can't have both TheHonestMaple.

I'd really like to see Hamilton get a few POPs. We don't have a single urban park except for Gore Park and maybeeee in front of the federal building.

Beyond that I can't think of a place where the public can sit, catch some shade or just chill downtown without being in Gore Park, in a private patio, or just on he street.
Um.. gaaaage paaaark..?

or did you mean solely in the downtown..

and I dunno what classifies it as an urban park.. I mean both gage and gore parks are both victorian styled parks.. or they were originally.

Um.. gaaaage paaaark..?

or did you mean solely in the downtown..

and I dunno what classifies it as an urban park.. I mean both gage and gore parks are both victorian styled parks.. or they were originally.
Gage Park is clearly not urban in my mind. It has none of the qualities of an urban park, and is surrounded by largely single detached dwellings.

An example of an urban park would be Love Park, or the numerous POPS: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ly-owned-publicly-accessible-spaces-pops-map/

Gage Park is clearly not urban in my mind. It has none of the qualities of an urban park, and is surrounded by largely single detached dwellings.

An example of an urban park would be Love Park, or the numerous POPS: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ly-owned-publicly-accessible-spaces-pops-map/
Ah I see, not what I think of what I think of the word "park" - love park yes - but most of the others are just plazas or a small box with plants in it. Personally I think the parking lot behind alectra would make for a great one.

Would bayfront park be considered one? Or does it have to be entirely enclosed by urban?

Trinity Bellwoods in Toronto in many ways is considered one of the defining "urban parks" in Toronto and has many similar allegories to Gage Park in my mind.

Gage Park is definitely an "urban park".

It's not exactly downtown though.

John-Rebecca Park is downtown, as maligned as it may be. The trees are starting to mature in it and the adjacent safe injection site closing has cleaned it up a lot. Once the nearby condo projects complete I imagine it'll get a bit busier.

Trinity Bellwoods in Toronto in many ways is considered one of the defining "urban parks" in Toronto and has many similar allegories to Gage Park in my mind.

Gage Park is definitely an "urban park".

It's not exactly downtown though.

John-Rebecca Park is downtown, as maligned as it may be. The trees are starting to mature in it and the adjacent safe injection site closing has cleaned it up a lot. Once the nearby condo projects complete I imagine it'll get a bit busier.
Rebecca park feels more like a public square, and that’s not a bad thing… but it’s not the kind of park that works in isolation. It will almost certainly exceed expectations as residents fill up the area.

More parks are needed, but we do have some options in terms of available space, and the gift that is Gore Park. If we can leverage that better than it is today (likely post-LRT) I think it’ll be even more highly valued.

The two sites I think are prime for new green space are Sir John A MacDonald and around/behind City Hall. Macnab Terminal is a good one too once it is retired.

Jackson Squares’ roof is also a public space (may sortof be a POPs, given the city’s leasing), and perhaps could even considered a park- it just sucks really really bad. Any upgrades or redevelopment of the complex, in part or whole, needs to leverage that space and bring it to the planets surface. It is nonetheless there though!

Back