News   Apr 16, 2024
 459     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 411     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 765     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

How many major roads are being closed again?

There are many people in the GTA who are interested in attending and participating in this event. We are thrilled that people from across North and South America are coming to our city to participate in these events as athletes and spectators. And I’m thrilled that the media will be shining a light on our city. But I wonder how people, who profess to love the city, can be such Debbie Downers.

A friend of mine in Portugal told me one of her friends from school (who is from the UK), bought tickets to the Pan Am opening ceremonies, and Europe doesn't even compete in the Pan Am's. It's definitely giving people who have thought about visiting Toronto in the past, a reason to visit this summer.

I question people that say no one is interested in the games. Maybe you’re not interested, but that doesn’t mean other people aren’t. .... There are many people in the GTA who are interested in attending and participating in this event.
Agreed. I know a number of people who are using their summer vacation to volunteer and are excited at the opportunity to participate. As Canmark said, they come from all professions and skill sets including athletes, doctors, whatever.

I also know a number of people who are hightailing it out of the city. :)

Cherry Street ... which has been closed mostly for years already.

As far as I know there are less road closures in Toronto this July. The usual Lakeshore closure for the Indy won't be happening in July.

There's some regular lanes temporarily converted to HOV lanes. But anyone can drive in them, if you have enough people in your car. That's not a closure.

I also know a number of people who are hightailing it out of the city. :)
I suspect the same folks who hightail it out every summer. I'm normally gone for a couple of weeks end of July, beginning of August - and I will again. I made sure I was in town for this though. I'd think one would have to particularly hate Toronto to leave town for this period.

I'm not even sure it's going to be a big deal. Most don't even use the DVP and Gardiner every day. And I don't see how 2 lanes + HOV during July is going to be worse than just the 2 lanes we've had for a year or so on the Gardiner without the HOV. It's your classic whiny NIMBY situation as far as I can see.

re: Road Closures - Part of Lakeshore, Gardiner Eastbound and DVP North will be closed this Sunday morning for the Toronto Triathlon Festival. My age group goes at 9:45 am. I know the lake will be effing cold, I just hope there's some sunlight to warm it up a bit before I have to take the plunge.

We should have introduced the competitive sport of Whining to the Pan Am Games, it's one event Toronto could really excel at.

I don't get the antipathy, it's been forever since Toronto hosted a major sporting event even though the city and province have a long deep history of involvement in athletics.

The people I know who are leaving don't usually leave the city,but they don't want to deal with the crowds. A few will also leave if they can Air BnB their place for a good buck.

I don't expect things will be as horrible as some like to think. It will be interesting to see how it all rolls out. My husband has about 20 volunteer driving shifts so he will be in the middle of it all. He's excited.

Cherry Street ... which has been closed mostly for years already.

As far as I know there are less road closures in Toronto this July. The usual Lakeshore closure for the Indy won't be happening in July.

There's some regular lanes temporarily converted to HOV lanes. But anyone can drive in them, if you have enough people in your car. That's not a closure.

I suspect the same folks who hightail it out every summer. I'm normally gone for a couple of weeks end of July, beginning of August - and I will again. I made sure I was in town for this though. I'd think one would have to particularly hate Toronto to leave town for this period.

I'm not even sure it's going to be a big deal. Most don't even use the DVP and Gardiner every day. And I don't see how 2 lanes + HOV during July is going to be worse than just the 2 lanes we've had for a year or so on the Gardiner without the HOV. It's your classic whiny NIMBY situation as far as I can see.

I'm actually really looking forward to Pan-Am, but I am convinced that the QEW will be a disaster.

They rejigged the lanes from eastbound 401 to southbound 427 today (I'm assuming for Pan-Am) and it was pretty bad.

There are always those who'll be more concerned that the sky is falling, that being thankful they don't have to water the vegetable patch.

Yeah, someone just threw that in there without any evidence. It's wikipedia. Look at the actual list of broadcasters. It's pathetic.
Did you miss the part where CBC is doing 600 hours of coverage? They are doing three time slots each day

ESPN is also covering it

Yeah, someone just threw that in there without any evidence. It's wikipedia. Look at the actual list of broadcasters. It's pathetic.

Prove that none of those are official broadcasters. I checked a few of them out, and they are indeed the official broadcasters for their respective countries.

Rede Record
Claro
ESPN (Puerto Rico)
ESPN (USA)
ESPN Desportes (USA)

Those 5 alone provide coverage to several hundred million TV viewers.

I never disputed those were not official broadcasters?

It's not being carried by any major non-sports network in the us. It's definitely not clear how much coverage english espn is going to do either. I would not be surprised if nearly everything is broadcast on desportes.

edit: i just found what espn is doing:

"SPN Deportes, ESPN and ESPN2 will provide exclusive, multimedia coverage of the XVII Pan American Games Toronto 2015 in English and Spanish. ESPN and ESPN 2 will dedicate more than 65 hours of live coverage while ESPN Deportes will present more than 200 hours of Olympic-type coverage of the event. "

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...nd-reporters-for-the-2015-pan-american-games/

Is anybody else having trouble printing their tickets? They're e-tickets so what's the holdup? Mine say:

IMPORTANT ALERT : There is a delivery delay on this event. Please check the Event Detail Page for information on when the delay will be lifted. Once the delay has been lifted, your tickets will be available via your selected delivery method.

I think they’re doing that to impede ticket scalpers, delaying access to the actual hard copy tickets. Ticketmaster had sent a message that says this: For big events it takes time to ensure all orders are from real fans. We'll email you the minute they're ready to view/print/ship...

Update: just received emails from Ticketmaster with my print at home tickets (PDF) for two of the four events I’ve ordered tickets for.

Back