News   May 07, 2024
 453     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 414     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 901     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

I think we're overselling the idea that it will be carmageddon; excluding any VIPs, I doubt many people bought tickets for events across the GTA and will more likely attending events close to home. I don't see a large turnout of people coming across Canada, USA or even South America to show up to cause the traffic that people are fearing. Like the excitement that organizers have been telling the media, it's all just overblown for a mediocre game.

I think we're overselling the idea that it will be carmageddon; excluding any VIPs, I doubt many people bought tickets for events across the GTA and will more likely attending events close to home.
I expect people want to see what they are interested in. I want to see the soccer, so I'll be off to Hamilton ... likely on the special soccer train (and with the Canada games mostly kicking off at 8:30 pm, ending at 10:30 pm, and trains not departing Hamilton until 11:30 pm ... I'm fortunate enough to live walking distance from one of the Lakeshore East GO stations).

My wife used to row competively, so she'll be off to the Niagara region to watch that. I don't think neither of us will be attending any local events.

I expect people want to see what they are interested in. I want to see the soccer, so I'll be off to Hamilton ... likely on the special soccer train (and with the Canada games mostly kicking off at 8:30 pm, ending at 10:30 pm, and trains not departing Hamilton until 11:30 pm ... I'm fortunate enough to live walking distance from one of the Lakeshore East GO stations).

My wife used to row competively, so she'll be off to the Niagara region to watch that. I don't think neither of us will be attending any local events.
Agreed. My sister was a competitive gymnast, and most of her peers (and herself) are heading to watch the events.

Obviously I can't prove this, but I imagine that a lot of unsold tickets are actually for day-time events during the week.

I have a few football tickets already, but was looking to pickup more, and the weekend games are mostly sold out.

Last edited:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/pan-am-games-execs-to-split-5-7m-in-bonuses-1.2417324

While performance bonuses are nothing to get upset about, these do seem excessive. The whole point of a retention bonus is to ensure that someone on a fixed-term contract doesn't find another job before the end of the project; when that person is a government employee on secondment a retention bonus doesn't make much sense. It's not like he would ever jump ship before the end of the games...

My sister snagged some gymnastics tickets. Has no interest in gymnastics but wanted to take in an event to say she did it. I have a coworker who also bought some handball tickets because she figured when else would she go watch handball live? Haha

Hmm ... it hadn't crossed my mind until you posted ... but I'm betting my daughter would want to see that. Thanks, I should probably talk to her ... I've probably not told her that there's more sports than rowing or soccer! :)

Better hurry! Barely any seats left for medal matches!

I think we're overselling the idea that it will be carmageddon; excluding any VIPs, I doubt many people bought tickets for events across the GTA and will more likely attending events close to home. I don't see a large turnout of people coming across Canada, USA or even South America to show up to cause the traffic that people are fearing. Like the excitement that organizers have been telling the media, it's all just overblown for a mediocre game.
Events goers are never the reason for possible carmageddon. No one expect them to drive nor should they be. It's the new HOV lanes carved out of existing general traffic lanes that will be the cause.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/pan-am-games-execs-to-split-5-7m-in-bonuses-1.2417324

While performance bonuses are nothing to get upset about, these do seem excessive. The whole point of a retention bonus is to ensure that someone on a fixed-term contract doesn't find another job before the end of the project; when that person is a government employee on secondment a retention bonus doesn't make much sense. It's not like he would ever jump ship before the end of the games...

I don't know who exactly has been responsible for deciding the compensation packages at the upper levels but there's no question it's been excessive all around since the games started.

Wasn't there supposed to be some water events at the base of the Don and in the turning basin? Perhaps that was more an Olympic thing?

As for getting from Hamilton to Toronto, why aren't we running ferries? A 15 knot ferry could get from Queens Quay to Hamilton much faster tha HOV lanes. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/archive/index.php/t-134234.html

Last edited:
As for getting from Hamilton to Toronto, why aren't we running ferries? A 15 knot ferry could get from Queens Quay to Hamilton much faster tha HOV lanes. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/archive/index.php/t-134234.html

I think they wouldn't buy new passenger ferries, hire new staff, fight with the port authorities over where they can dock just for an medium size sporting event like the Pan Am Games. Nice idea, but unless it can be proven it can support passenger traffic outside the games, I doubt this will ever happen.

Back