Toronto 2 St Thomas | 80.46m | 26s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

Sadly, the artist may have thought 'how progressive are these residents to have hired a visible minority...". What else could explain something so clumsy?

Regardless of who did the renderings, at the end of the day, it's Minto's responsibility to look at stuff like this especially in a city like Toronto where non-whites make up 1/2 of the population, most of the new population growth and a substantial percentage of condo buyers (i would say 60%) are non-whites. I've emailed Minto about this, making it really obvious how foolish and disappointing their "marketing" is. I also noted in my email to them that I don't expect a response back from them as they are not gutsy enough to acknowledge their oversight and subconscious racism on who they really cater to for this project. Let's see what happens (I'm betting on not hearing back).

Last edited:
i doubt the buyers care.

True, but, as CITY_LOVER said Minto should be on top of this stuff. Could be an innocent oversite, but at the same time could be preceived as offensive to some. Not trying to make a stink about it but you gotta wonder what was going on in the artist's head.

i doubt the buyers care.

Define "care". It may not stop them from buying, but its an unneccessary negative. And you miight be suprised how things like this can make a difference at the margin with some people. It wouldnt prevent me from buying, but it would reduce the warm fuzzy feeling towards the developer which might colour my interactions with them following the purchase - because those interactions continue during the construction phase. And for the record I am not a visible minority.

It's pretty insensitive. I'd point to the agency who created these images, I wouldn't be too hard on Minto. Something like this can slip through easy enough. I would point to Minto if they don't correct the offending marketing images for this project in a timely fashion.

A black person as a concierge, how sub-consciously racist and insensitve! And white render people walking around. Let's try and make everyone happy with updated renders.

StThomas_Lobby_ViewA01_HR07-new.jpg

4-new.jpg

Somehow, while I agree it's tactless and lacking in homework, I don't think of this as "intentional"--almost more of a byproduct of an absentmindedly colour-blind era where such a figure would, at most, express "diversity" rather than "servility". Otherwise, one might as well ban concierges/doorpersons-of-colour outright (never mind images thereof) for fear of feeding stereotypes...

Has anyone seen the TV ad for Vegas (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...) where a wealthy young black fellow is been driven around by a white chauffeur ? Afterwards, the white guy hands the chauffeur cap back to the black driver, saying "my turn" suggesting they they playing a role reversal.

Comments?

Concierge

The man in the rendering is actually the concierge at another Minto residence that will be the new concierge at The St.Thomas.

^ There's your answer. And even if it wasn't what's the problem? In my building of 20 or so staff only 3 are white.

I don't think that showing the concierge as black is insensitive, as there are concierges of many descent in this city. The fact that all of the residents depicted are white sure is ethnocentric however.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the TV ad for Vegas (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...) where a wealthy young black fellow is been driven around by a white chauffeur ? Afterwards, the white guy hands the chauffeur cap back to the black driver, saying "my turn" suggesting they they playing a role reversal.

Comments?

Ya, those are two friends going to Vegas with each getting a turn at being "wealthy". Neither are wealthy or a chauffeur, just two blokes having a good time in Sin City.

Good one. That I am! :)

I'm sure the majority of residences in 'The St. Thomas' will be white. I'm a white immigrant with no money, so more power to those white folks that have all the money in the World to live here.

White, Brown, Black, Pink, Purple - it's a render in the end.

Back