Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

:eek:

Really looking forward to this now. Thanks for the new pics and updates!
BTW what is the proposed height for the tower? It looks as tall as Trump to the roof in the aerial rendering, though that might be due to perspective.

From the article.

"Massey Tower's by-law amendments were granted based on the benefits coming back to Toronto in regard to improving the again Massey Hall. It remains to be seen what public benefits Cadillac Fairview will offer. The negotiations over the proposal that will follow are typical for the planning process"

I personally would rather see developers pay section 37 funds to be allocated to public transit in the downtown core ie. (a DRL fund) as opposed to parks, etc. I certainly don't devalue the need for public spaces and heritage preservation but I believe the city is reaching a crisis level of congestion on the Yonge subway line. This would be a great start.

This tower looks like a blend of Toronto and Chicago to me. I really like how it's shaping up!

The structure of the building could be very interesting too, I'd love to see some detail drawings and structural plans.

If you check out the north face of the tower in the second rendering, you can see that they've used the inset balconies to create an alternating pattern every five floors. Looks like it could be interesting.

I'm disappointed by the loss of the diagonal bracing above the podium, but I'm relieved that the silver-coloured grid on the facade has been maintained. The grid on each side of the tower looks like it will now be pushed out slightly, creating notched corners, which I think looks quite nice.

I do wish that the tower was a little darker, as per the original renderings.

From the article.

"I personally would rather see developers pay section 37 funds to be allocated to public transit in the downtown core ie. (a DRL fund) as opposed to parks, etc. I certainly don't devalue the need for public spaces and heritage preservation but I believe the city is reaching a crisis level of congestion on the Yonge subway line. This would be a great start.

1000% agree

Bobbob:

True, though every bit helps. They might not be able to make the case for it however. I'd be happy to see functional improvements to the Queen station instead.

re: design

Pretty happy the way it turned out - though as always, execution will make or break it.

AoD

re: design

Pretty happy the way it turned out - though as always, execution will make or break it.

AoD

I'm optimistic with respect to execution. Given that this is a rental tower rather than a condo, the developer can't throw up their hands and walk away before the thing starts to fall apart. Furthermore, they can't get away with selling floorplans, since potential residents will be able to see the actual building up close before deciding to rent a space (though I doubt a renter cares about the exterior beauty of their building as much as an owner would).

I'm guessing that the TTC / Metrolinks would have to be involved in this because this sits directly atop the Queen station...?

This building looks great. Nice, clean design and the heritage building gets restored to how it originally looked. Whats not to like here? The skyline rendering looks awesome, Im hoping the execution is solid.

+1. The restored building looks fantastic (and another one restored on Yonge to boot) and digging the new tower renderings over the previous early concept ones. Build this!

Back