Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

That aerial shot makes the tower look alot taller than BayAdelaideWest. Fingers crossed that they increase the height to 250-260m.

your right, it looks closer to 240m in that image. I know they were originally considering 75 floors on the site, I wonder if it was only a recent decision to drop it to 65. They may have had renders and the entire design finalized before chopping off the height.

your right, it looks closer to 240m in that image. I know they were originally considering 75 floors on the site, I wonder if it was only a recent decision to drop it to 65. They may have had renders and the entire design finalized before chopping off the height.

City Hall/NPS shadows

I really hope this one ends up getting built. It's classy, thin, tall, and would really add to the area, especially when Massey goes up across the road.

I find it fascinating that they would propose a rental building with all the condos that are on the market and/or under construction. A very large percentage of those condos will be available for rent on completion - so instead of spreading the risk to unit purchasers, CF will take all the risk on themselves.

Either they see the rental market stronger than most others do or they know something others don't.

I guess, unlike New York, there is no cap on rents so potentially the returns could be high but it would likely have to be a high rent building or the riff raff will destroy it in short order. It's clearly not aimed at UT or Ryerson students given its location - so I'm guessing it will be a pretty high end building.

I find it fascinating that they would propose a rental building with all the condos that are on the market and/or under construction. A very large percentage of those condos will be available for rent on completion - so instead of spreading the risk to unit purchasers, CF will take all the risk on themselves.

Either they see the rental market stronger than most others do or they know something others don't.

I guess, unlike New York, there is no cap on rents so potentially the returns could be high but it would likely have to be a high rent building or the riff raff will destroy it in short order. It's clearly not aimed at UT or Ryerson students given its location - so I'm guessing it will be a pretty high end building.

As a renter, all things being equal, I'd rather rent from a large commercial landlord than from an individual condo owner. There's no chance that the commercial landlord will terminate the lease to occupy the unit personally, and having repairs done to the unit doesn't involve a huge argument.

Thanks AOD, that's very interesting. I notice that rents on these condos are getting pretty high - the main attractions for renters to rent a condo unit is the ensuite laundry, multiple baths and new, working elevators. Hopefully CF will put ensuite laundry in these units which will make them just as appealing as the new condos. Condo investors beware.

Last edited:
Amenities are a big draw too. It's almost impossible to find a rental building in the city that has some sort of gym, patio, or ensuite laundry. If this thing get's some amenities and some parking spaces I'd be very interested in moving there.

The only concern I would have is that the building would be exempt from rent control rates.

Last edited:
The only concern I would have is that the building would be exempt from rent control rates.

I have a feeling that in order for this to become a reality (and it will probably be shorter to remove shadowing on NPS), the city will insist that affordable rental units are included in the building.

There will be no rent control since it is built post-1990. As an aside, I wonder if the province will ever move that date to say, 1995?

Back