News   Apr 15, 2024
 968     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

Toronto 1980s

Are there any shots of the water front showing roughly what is now a common shot with the CN Tower and Skydome? I'm curious as to what use to stand where I now live (that funny quay between rees and spadina....)

I think it's strange/funny that in the 6th photo, the guy is walking down Yonge St with no shoes on, and he doesn't look like he's homeless. Was this normal back in the 80s? I don't remember that.

Forget about international architects. The concerning issue is where are the Toronto based corporate giants and industrial titans with the balls to burn money on architectural exuberance? Dreaming of commercial tower architectural expression first is like putting the cart before the horse.

Sadly I think the reason why there hasn't been any massive office developments in the past boom (instead of a bunch of mediocre ones) is because a lot of money has moved west to Calgary. Look at the Transcanada tower and Eighth Avenue Place, and of course the Bow was going to be the centrepiece of this boom, same way FCP and TD Centre came out of the late 60s and early 70s - but it looks like its off the rails now.

Sadly I think the reason why there hasn't been any massive office developments in the past boom (instead of a bunch of mediocre ones) is because a lot of money has moved west to Calgary. Look at the Transcanada tower and Eighth Avenue Place, and of course the Bow was going to be the centrepiece of this boom, same way FCP and TD Centre came out of the late 60s and early 70s - but it looks like its off the rails now.

I disagree. A lot of money left Montreal when FCP and the TD Centre were being built in that time period. Yet in the early 1990s well after its prime years of economic growth, Montreal saw the construction of several fine towers, like its current tallest, 1000 De la Gauchetiere and 1250 Rene Levesque.

The guy sitting on the park bench with the couple in the come around again outfits, looks like a young Stephen Harper (same hair too).

Dundas and Chesnut Sept 1988. from my dad
Chestnutt and dundas 1988.jpeg

Back