Toronto 175 St Clair West | 55.7m | 14s | Resident | Richard Wengle

Pompous, chutzpadik drek. And there's no way they're going to get the details or materials right to make this even remotely passable.

How anyone could prefer Zigg condos or 365 Church Street (with its grey plastic spandrel, bare concrete pillars, and bare concrete balcony undersides) to this is beyond me.

Id argue it's just as essential that contemporary designs use high end materials to look passable.

Yes, this needs to be lined with retail since it's on a major street that already has a retail focus.
This part of St Clair does not have a retail focus, the closest retail is about two blocks east.

Resubmission from Sept 29, 2021:

stplaza.JPG
stplaza2.JPG
stplaza3.JPG
stplaza4.JPG
stplaza5.JPG

It is extremely weird that even though this functions as one of the most 'Avenue-y, avenues', it's still an R-Zone and a Neighbourhood. As @junctionist notes above, I bet at least some of that has to do with the folks who live both north and south of St. Clair along this stretch. Should absolutely be CR / Mixed Use Areas, though.

Wasn't in position to take photos but I can confirm that the First Unitarian Church has vacated their former building and have windows boarded up from the inside. Several adjacent properties along St. Clair also have dumpsters on premise to clear out items and have begun being boarded up too.

Wasn't in position to take photos but I can confirm that the First Unitarian Church has vacated their former building and have windows boarded up from the inside. Several adjacent properties along St. Clair also have dumpsters on premise to clear out items and have begun being boarded up too.

No permits applied for yet for building or demolition.

There should be retail here. I'm not sure why local residents insist on keeping retail out of this stretch of St. Clair. It seems that they're clinging to an antiquated notion that upscale neighbourhoods should be single use and car dependent. It's not environmentally responsible.
I agree with not wanting a Mcdonalds or cannibis shop here, but I dont see how a high end restaurant and dog grooming salon would detract from the exclusivity of the area. If anything the dumpy existing buildings in the developers land assembly scheme are detracting from the neighbourhoods exclusivity.

Back