Toronto 175 Cummer | 10.49m | 3s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam

Costs have ballooned to $36m - from $14.6m

QUOTE : "Reached for comment Wednesday evening, a lawyer for the appellants in the recent court case blamed the province for not acting on the city’s zoning request, and said the city was free to move ahead with the project."

QUOTE : "Reached for comment Wednesday evening, a lawyer for the appellants in the recent court case blamed the province for not acting on the city’s zoning request, and said the city was free to move ahead with the project."

'Rich' hardly seems adequate.

Both Cheng and Gillespie are truly bottom of the barrel humans...

Last edited:
Modular Supportive Housing for 175 Cummer (Willowdale Senior Residence) was originally supposed to cost $10.31m (2021 dollars),....
- but by March 2023 increased by $11.21m to $21.526m (Toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/au/bgrd/backgroundfile-237804.pdf)
- now the latest estimated cost is $36m, for about 59 units,... that's $610,169.49 Per Unit where each unit is not even Bachelor but 236sqft to 253sqft (mainly) Micro-Studio Unit,... and it was on City owned land - so price of Land isn't factored into this calculation!!!

At $610K cost per unit,.... you could find 1-bedroom condo in the area with double the square-footage and strata-land!

Modular Supportive Housing for 175 Cummer (Willowdale Senior Residence) was originally supposed to cost $10.31m (2021 dollars),....
- but by March 2023 increased by $11.21m to $21.526m (Toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/au/bgrd/backgroundfile-237804.pdf)
- now the latest estimated cost is $36m, for about 59 units,... that's $610,169.49 Per Unit where each unit is not even Bachelor but 236sqft to 253sqft (mainly) Micro-Studio Unit,... and it was on City owned land - so price of Land isn't factored into this calculation!!!

At $610K cost per unit,.... you could find 1-bedroom condo in the area with double the square-footage and strata-land!
If we read back thru this thread -- I think we will find you were strongly in support of the various vexatious appeals against this project by the various local NIMBY cranks -- and NOT using a MZO on this site... all of which are directly responsible for these added costs.

Could you maybe ask your friends if they could add a few MILLION in donations for this project..? Thx!

If we read back thru this thread -- I think we will find you were strongly in support of the various vexatious appeals against this project by the various local NIMBY cranks -- and NOT using a MZO on this site... all of which are directly responsible for these added costs.

Could you maybe ask your friends if they could add a few MILLION in donations for this project..? Thx!

"If we read back thru this thread -- I think we will find" HousingNowTO posts & tweets incentivized those opposed to keep fighting,...

Anyways,... putting a Homeless Shelter,... err, "Modular Supportive Housing" onto front lawn of a TCHC Senior Residence (Willowdale Manor Senior Residence) is stupid,... and now expensive,.... and will become a huge liability issue for the City.

Also, a number of reasoning that previous Councillor John Filion used to justify this site,... namely new Olympic Garden Park (City proposed opening in Fall 2025) and Newtonbrook Community Centre (City proposed opening in 2027) won't materialize for at least 15 year - if ever,... now that Aoyuan sold off M2M phase 2 & 3

all of which are directly responsible for these added costs.

If we could bring this back to the facts..........

The above is not entirely accurate.

The NIMBYs here were a royal pain, their actions were annoying and unreasonable, and they did contribute to the cost inflation of the project.
But a quick review of the Construction Inflation Index will suggest that the increase in project costs here far exceeds what one might reasonably expect.

Now, there is the matter of having stored the modular housing at a cost greater than $70,000 per month for the last while. Even then, I can't get the inflated numbers to work.

I'm not going to accuse the City or the Modular builder of anything inappropriate here, except to say I do not see any public (as yet) explanation for the extraordinary level of cost inflation here.

I will then add, the storage of the units IS the fault of the City in that they issued purchased orders for a project they did not have legal authority to proceed with ............

Lets be clear, I'm not arguing for the NIMBYs, I'm not suggesting they (The City) ought not to have had such authority; but rather, you don't go incurring costs on a build you don't have permission to build. That's just unreasonable.

I really do wish the OLT and the Courts had awarded the City at least partial costs for appeals that if they were not vexatious at the beginning of the process certainly ended up there.

That notwithstanding, I want to see an itemized list of every increased cost, I see no reason this shouldn't be public before Council makes a decision on amending the contract.

Transparency is always good for democracy. I can't imagine that I wouldn't support proceeding at this stage, but I might negotiate with the vendor in a slightly more rigorous manner over their pricing.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, Mr. McGrath glosses over the fact that many of the other modular projects which did get MZOs also had extraordinary cost inflation; he also ignored clear studies that show industrial/pre-fab (modular) housing actually doesn't come in materially cheaper than conventional construction, its just, potentially, slightly faster.

He also conflates this project with all projects; and ignores population growth as the biggest driver of this story; and that similar housing issues are happening in most other high growth centres, particularly in the Anglosphere.

John can be a bright guy, this was not the column to exemplify that.

IMG_6894.jpeg

“It is easy for our politicians, and many of the rest of us, to get behind the concept of housing affordability. To talk about how high a priority it is, and even come up with plans to act on it. And for some of our politicians, to talk big about slashing away the process hurdles that stand in the way.
But when it’s time to actually put affordable units in one of our neighbourhoods — to actually give vulnerable people a place to live in the city — it is still too easy to see all those good intentions evaporate into a fog of delay and expense and too-convenient excuses.” - Edward Keenan

Last edited:
“It is easy for our politicians, and many of the rest of us, to get behind the concept of housing affordability. To talk about how high a priority it is, and even come up with plans to act on it. And for some of our politicians, to talk big about slashing away the process hurdles that stand in the way.
But when it’s time to actually put affordable units in one of our neighbourhoods — to actually give vulnerable people a place to live in the city — it is still too easy to see all those good intentions evaporate into a fog of delay and expense and too-convenient excuses.” - Edward Keenan

Its an ok piece from Ed..........but in his brief focus on this site.......he really misses the delays and causes of delays that have affected far more units.

Sites that were so called-market ready far outnumber sites mired in appeals............but sat or are sitting for years due to CMHC inaction, and I will lay part of that on the City who initiated a build process reliant on CMHC financing which they didn't bother trying to obtained until after they had done everything else (Zoning, RFP etc.)

There are also sites like 1631 Queen East, which has yet to face any appeal issues because we still haven't finished zoning years later; even though the reasons given for myriad delays focus on relocating a childcare centre and some City staff in social services.

There's no logic to starting a process on this site w/o answers at the ready on the latter; but also no reason final zoning should be delayed over said relocation plans.

Meanwhile, all those years gone by could have been used to achieve something much more ambitious on that site, involving the Harvey's, the aging TCHC building and the Community Health Centre on that block; a wasted opportunity almost entirely of the City's making.

Back