Toronto 1631 Queen East | 64.7m | 18s | CreateTO | SvN

As expected, Pages and Pages of NIMBY letters in this issue of the BEACH METRO NEWS...

LINK - https://issuu.com/beachmetronews/docs/issu_beachmetro-21-06-29

View attachment 331828
View attachment 331829
View attachment 331830

While I disagree with most of the hyberbolic pablum above............this is one of the reasons I'm far more cautious about MZO's and the like.
While I would hope that this view doesn't represent a majority or plurality in the community; when considered in the context of the equally virulent opposition to the Modular Housing at Trenton; that's an increasing number of motivated, angry voters.
Should Councillor Bradford lose, its unlikely that a successor would be in anyway favourable to any public housing initiatives in the ward.

That is not an argument for not proceeding with affordable housing, brooking endless delays or people's mindless prejudices............

I'm in favour of this proposal as I was the one at Trenton.

But I still think it's important to make the medicine taste good as it were...............or the backlash, misplaced as it may be, could do years of damage.

In this case, It really speaks to the problem of not going after the Harvey's site........and yes, the TCHC building and the Health Centre.
It's important to say, none of that need have delayed housing here, in that you could begin a phase 1, while expropriations and planning etc were underway for future phases.
It's possible here to deliver more affordable housing than what is proposed, rebuild some badly aging TCHC stock and probably still take the edge off the height.

No, it probably wouldn't be enough to please many of the NIMBYs and that's always a challenge.
But in this case, looking at the entire block would almost certainly produce a better project, with greater affordable housing, while offering the incidental benefit of somewhat greater community palatability.

Ultimately, I'll support the project as is; before caving to NIMBY nonsense. But I may not be in the majority come the next election; and that is a matter for concern.

Last edited:
Essentially, our work on the outside is to make being a NIMBY (or "caving to NIMBY nonsense") a politically - and socially toxic - choice for people in 2022.

You can only do so much to "make the medicine taste good" - when the medicine your are delivering is Chemotherapy.

No "medicine" gives far worse outcomes than "unpleasant tasting" medicine, etc. 🤓

1625196928549.png

I think him losing would be unfortunate, because he is trying to improve housing options and mobility options in the city. Sure - he’s not ultra-progressive, but he’s moving the dial in the right direction, and for that I’m thankful.

EDIT: this represents the many problems with Toronto’s system. The entire housing or change approval process devolves to block-by-block battles and processes that reward sticking to the status quo over any sort of change (I’m convinced Toronto’s processes are designed for a “culture of ‘no’”). After all, people against change are the most likely to be opposed, the most likely to vote, and the most likely to have their voices heard in the ‘consultation’ process. It also puts Councilors behind the 8-ball: support this, and you get an angry, united opposition; don’t, and the city suffers. It’s a losing proposition all around.

Last edited:
I think him losing would be unfortunate, because he is trying to improve housing options and mobility options in the city. Sure - he’s not ultra-progressive, but he’s moving the dial in the right direction, and for that I’m thankful.

He's one of most consistent on Council in supporting affordable housing and zoning reform; he was the leading force behind the Danforth Bike Lane; I think if you were ranking voting records on Council on tangible actions, as oppose to meaningless rhetoric, his voting record would put him firmly among the the most progressive on Council.

I wouldn't oversell that; there are things he hasn't been out in front on..............but on balance, his record is pretty good.

He tends to lose points among some progressives for the fact he really dislikes meaningless fatuous motions that don't DO something. I rather like that about him.

EDIT: this represents the many problems with Toronto’s system. The entire housing or change approval process devolves to block-by-block battles and processes that reward sticking to the status quo over any sort of change (I’m convinced Toronto’s processes are designed for a “culture of ‘no’”). After all, people against change are the most likely to be opposed, the most likely to vote, and the most likely to have their voices heard in the ‘consultation’ process. It also puts Councilors behind the 8-ball: support this, and you get an angry, united opposition; don’t, and the city suffers. It’s a losing proposition all around.

This system is not Toronto's.

It's democracy's in general.

I'll allow that FPTP has the unfortunate effect of exaggerating that. Which is to say, in a race where you need only 35% to win much of the time, and sometimes less; a vocal minority of whatever kind has outsized influence.

But this would be an issue for the majority of government's across Canada.

You can take steps to reduce this effect, whether that's proportional representation at the senior gov't level or ranked ballots/runoffs at the municipal level; or to dilute the effect a bit, by raising turnout; but at the end of the day, in every democracy in the world, an angry electorate is always more motivated than a content one.

This is why I feel strongly about the need to try to bring people on board and constructively answer concerns where practical. It's not about abiding prejudice or endless delay tactics; it's about hiving off as many as possible from the potential 'angry' group into the 'shrug' group or the ' I'm on board' group.

That helps create sustained change, as opposed to short-lived, and indeed, reversible change.

Though long-dormant, Brian is a UT member, going by the handle @btg. Longtime members will recall his entertaining antics in the Lakehouse Beach Residences - a fight which he lost.

In the end the Board ruled that he had to pay $28k to Reserve Properties. Whether he did or not is a mystery: https://beachmetro.com/2015/09/08/omb-rules-resident/

Though long-dormant, Brian is a UT member, going by the handle @btg. Longtime members will recall his entertaining antics in the Lakehouse Beach Residences - a fight which he lost.

In the end the Board ruled that he had to pay $28k to Reserve Properties. Whether he did or not is a mystery: https://beachmetro.com/2015/09/08/omb-rules-resident/
No, he never paid - the appeal had the order thrown-out because he "stepped-down" from BRAT before the OMB hearing... even though he has restarted his involvement in that group now...

Cmon really....I don’t consider Coxwell and Queen E. the Beach.
Agreed ---- but that location is still subject to the "Queen Street East Urban Design Guidelines" (aka "The Beach Bible") ------ file under - "Visioning Study untethered by Economic-Reality"... again... :rolleyes:

No, he never paid - the appeal had the order thrown-out because he "stepped-down" from BRAT before the OMB hearing... even though he has restarted his involvement in that group now...

First class weasel.

Back