Toronto 1631 Queen East | 64.7m | 18s | CreateTO | SvN

Important to note, my objection is not to greater height, but height of the street wall; just set it back a bit after the 4th or 5th floor and by all means go several more.
Oh - fair point - I didn’t catch that. Thanks for clarifying!

Your suggestions (especially around the TCHC unit and Harveys) make a lot of sense too.

Commentary from local reps and Councillor Brad Bradford:

Indigenous Community Sharing Meeting to discuss Housing Now site at Queen and Coxwell

March 22, 2021

The lane, at the eastern boundary of the site, was given the name Kishigo in 2018 to honour an Anishinaabe family that lived there in the late 18th century. Back then, local resident Joanne Doucette and former Beaches-East York Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon prompted the name change.

Also, the new Housing Now development includes Indigenous Placekeeping after current Beaches-East York Councillor Brad Bradford requested the project team incorporate it into the design “given how important this history is for the area,” he said.

According to Housing Now, the city is aiming to “convert the lane in its current form into a publicly-accessible open space that celebrates Indigenous families and history in the area.”

To do that, the city is hosting an Indigenous Community Sharing Meeting on the evening of Wednesday, March 24.

“We’ve listened. We heard that public green spaces need to infuse the elements, including the water, the earth, and the sky,” Housing Now said in a statement. “You shared with us that Indigenous space is a reflection of families and culture and an extension of ceremony and connection with the natural world.”

“These are just the beginnings of ideas that will become Kishigo Lane, a new publicly-accessible open space that celebrates Indigenous families and history in the area,” the statement added.

As expected, "We, the Board of Directors of The Beach and East Toronto Historical Society find the proposal at 1631 Queen St. E. of eight, 10 and 17 storeys to be a most egregious and outrageous proposal."

Source - https://issuu.com/beachmetronews/docs/bmn-issu-21-04-06

Beach_Metro_BETHS_LETTER_20210405.PNG

As expected, "We, the Board of Directors of The Beach and East Toronto Historical Society find the proposal at 1631 Queen St. E. of eight, 10 and 17 storeys to be a most egregious and outrageous proposal."

Source - https://issuu.com/beachmetronews/docs/bmn-issu-21-04-06

View attachment 311211

Just for one moment...........lets set aside the fact that there's a housing crisis ....

Lets also accept at face value a desire maintain a small-town character/feel along Queen Street.

Fine. Seriously. Why? Because none of that precludes the 17-storey building that would actually front Eastern Avenue, not Queen Street.

Lets first state, what should be obvious:

1) The character argument, insofar as it is sincerely made, is about the 'illusion' of modest height or what buildings feel like as you walk past them or across the street from them, on Queen Street.

2) There is no 17-storey building fronting Queen Street here; not even with setbacks.........it fronts Eastern, while occupying the same block as the Queen Street portion of the site.

3) Should there be height of up to 8 storeys fronting Queen, setbacks can be used, along with various cladding choices to emulate the best aspects of existing Beach/Queen retail in the area.

4) This site is barely in 'The Beach'; it's within metres of Coxwell Avenue. This area has never featured the traditional Beach/Queen retail vibe between Coxwell and Kingston Road.

5) The site looks like this right now:

(Queen Frontage)

1617837632945.png

My goodness.........look at that quality small-town retail main street character that will be adversely affected................

(Eastern Frontage) This is where the 17 floors would go:

1617837737358.png

Gasp.....it's going to interfere w/that lovely parking lot that gives such lakeside small town feel!

Oh, and there's a housing crisis...........

1617838168698.png

Anyone wanna guess average-age, ethnicity, home-ownership status, and years of home-tenure for the Board members of TBETHS...?
:face_with_rolling_eyes:

http://tbeths.com/about.asp

^I am totally sympathetic to the urgent need for more housing. But you aren't convincing anyone when you're referencing "ethnicity" in your argument lol

It's kinda pathetic that we keep going round in these circles which predictably consist of nimby hysterics followed by progressive claptrap and nothing gets solved. Sad!

The failure to incorporate both the existing TCHC building on Coxwell and the Harveys is terribly irritating.

The excuse on the latter is an uncooperative owner and the unwillingness to pursue expropriation.

The failure on the former, given City ownership, and a building in poor condition is beyond me.

The failure on the former, given City ownership, and a building in poor condition is beyond me.
After REGENT PARK the City and TCHC introduced all kind of new mandatory "TCHC Tenant processes" when it comes to re-developing an existing TCHC site.

Following that process would add literally YEARS to this Queen East project.

The current 2021 plan allows for the TCHC site to be redeveloped as a stand-alone site (or in conjunction with the Health Clinic at Queen and Coxwell corner) later.

After REGENT PARK the City and TCHC introduced all kind of new mandatory "TCHC Tenant processes" when it comes to re-developing an existing TCHC site.

Following that process would add literally YEARS to this Queen East project.

The current 2021 plan allows for the TCHC site to be redeveloped as a stand-alone site (or in conjunction with the Health Clinic at Queen and Coxwell corner) later.

I have no problem with deferring construction on the latter due to the above, but would prefer to see the whole site modelled together, then done in phases, with the existing portion of the site going first.

No need to get any future phases to working drawings; just get the high-level concept.

The object being to properly optimize the ultimate build-out.

I have no problem with deferring construction on the latter due to the above, but would prefer to see the whole site modelled together, then done in phases, with the existing portion of the site going first.

No need to get any future phases to working drawings; just get the high-level concept.

The object being to properly optimize the ultimate build-out.
You can't take those "tentative" steps without the TCHC going through their process for declaring the site for Redevelopment --- which triggers a multi-year process.

For example, I think the Don Summerville site on the other side of Coxwell started that process almost a Decade ago.

You can't take those "tentative" steps without the TCHC going through their process for declaring the site for Redevelopment --- which triggers a multi-year process.

For example, I think the Don Summerville site on the other side of Coxwell started that process almost a Decade ago.

Then the process is incorrect and in need of change.

One can provide ample notice for community engagement and eventual need to move without the process dragging on for a decade.

I'm also not sure why one would need to declare a redevelopment in order to examine its possibility at a conceptual level............

Back