Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

AFAIK the offices at 500 Lake Shore are just for Joe Fresh. At least, that was the original plan.

Shoppers is up at Consumers Road - could be a prime candidate for moving, but I can't see Loblaws abandoning the campus they built a short while ago up at Meadowvale by the 401.

AoD

Bell.. definitely won’t be them. They have their huge campus in Mississauga that was build relatively recently just for them. Floors at 100 Wynford was being renovated this summer and they have the CEO and legal department in 2 floors at Bay Adelaide East. Also field ops are head quartered down the street on Adelaide as well.

Thanks. I really just put that in for the sake of covering the bases.

Nobody seems to know what tenant would be in talks for this building. Nothing seems to make sense. Time will certainly tell.

Not sure where else this might go:

Bay Street Tops Wall Street in Banking Job Growth
Toronto’s employment rose 25 percent, adding 54,580 positions between 2006 and 2016, according to the report.
Toronto is second only to New York in terms of financial-services employment for North America, and the Canadian city ranks sixth worldwide on that measure behind Beijing, London, Shanghai and Tokyo, according to the report from the Ottawa-based think tank. Canada’s most populous city had 272,280 people employed in financial services as of 2016, which represents 8.5 percent of the Toronto area workforce.
800x-1.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...riday-psychology-and-the-death-knell-of-excel

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of those jobs. New York is understandable due to back-end financial activity scattering out throughout the region, but it's fascinating to see the steady decline of Chicago's financial industry. But regardless, a herald to future office towers?

Last edited:
Shows the strength of the Canadian financial services sector following the collapse of the US industry - Canada kept on trucking while the US is still recovering in the sector.

I bet showing growth from 2010-2016 would paint a bit of a different picture.

Considering the location, architecture firm and likely tenant(s) I can't think of a project that is more appropriate to being a supertall than this one. If the completed tower really stops at 46 floors there will be a lot of future skyscraper nerds shaking their heads and wondering what could've been. 80 floors minimum, I say, or the hell with it. Toronto thinks so damn small a lot of the time.

(My apologies for using the term "supertall" and unnecessarily bumping a thread.)

Considering the location, architecture firm and likely tenant(s) I can't think of a project that is more appropriate to being a supertall than this one. If the completed tower really stops at 46 floors there will be a lot of future skyscraper nerds shaking their heads and wondering what could've been. 80 floors minimum, I say, or the hell with it. Toronto thinks so damn small a lot of the time.

I think 160 Front and Union Center's height was set in stone at around 240-250 meters by city planning
but get ready for something larger and taller in the future from Oxford Place/Union Park

(My apologies for using the term "supertall" and unnecessarily bumping a thread.)

Skyscraper nerds aren't exactly rational. They've been spoiled like crazy in Toronto. There's about 15 towers that have 80 floors or more in all of the United States of all uses and stages of construction. There's one currently being built in Toronto and another half dozen to break ground over the next 5 years. Toronto doesn't think small at all. It's just very pragmatic over things that boost height like ceiling heights, stretched out crowns and, of course, poles.

One Vanderbilt is an office tower being built in New York. It has 12 more floors that 160 Front. It's also 450 metres tall.

Last edited:
Toronto doesn't think small at all. It's just very pragmatic over things that boost height like ceiling heights, stretched out crowns and, of course, poles.

One Vanderbilt is an office tower being built in New York. It has 12 more floors that 160 Front. It's also 450 metres tall.

One Vanderbilt isn’t a huge offender of this in my books. One World Trade and One Bryant Park are the real cheaters when it comes to height.
And don’t forget 160 front also has a significant crown. I’m not sure if the image below is still accurate, but it shows alot of empty space that is unoccupiable. Though if still part of the plan and accessible to tenants, these gardens would be spectacular and unlike anything the city has ever seen. It reminds me of the sky gardens atop the Walkie Talkie Building in London.

toronto-160front-03.jpg

Source: http://gingert.net/images/toronto-160front-03.jpg

the rake of the roofline has been reduced significantly from that render - but yes, this one has a fair bit of extra height above the base floor levels. It's why it is 240m at 46 floors while Bay Adelaide West is 214 metres at 52 floors.

Unsubstantiated rumour confirming that Canadian Tire is planning on moving it’s corporate headquarters but nothing linking it to this project. Suspected to remain at Yonge and Eglinton.

Where would they even move at Yonge and Eglinton? To a new build office complex?
Next door where the old TTC bus bays where and will be after the Crosstown station is build. That tower will require a new bus terminal under it.

There are also a few location on Eglinton to the east within a block or 2 where existing short towers will be torn down and a taller one built in its place.

Back