Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Magna would be interesting, but auto companies tend to stick to auto dependant locations. Plus if they moved from aurora, it would be completely devastating for the town. Manga is quite literally their entire economy.

Anyway a run down of all the space that will be available in the next 5 years or so.
Construction started:
RBC Water Park Place (~ 350L still available)
Bremner Tower (~ 300K still available)
BAE (~ 450K still available)
100 Adelaide ( ~600K still available )
King West Center (~400K ... assuming great gulf takes some space )
QWC ( ~250K still available )
18 York (~700K still available ... yes just about the whole building )

So that's about 3 million square feet of unclaimed space.

Solid Proposals:
16 York (800K)
?

Are there really any other solid proposals at the time ?

Would the Allied property across the street be considered a solid proposal? I know they are trying to do the Pearson connection thing but haven't really been following that one.

Taal, I know you are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to office stuff but are you sure about 18 York? When they did the light bridge unveiling they said the building was 90% occupied. Also regarding solid proposals Left Coaster on SSP said 16 York is on hold indefinitely - maybe CF focusing on this instead?

Last edited:
As per a conversation from a couple of months ago, Allied's 171 Front is on hold for the moment. The UP Express station is getting built and is not dependent on the tower going forward. As the tower will (at least on the lower levels) be an expansion of the internet hotel, building it will be dependent on increased need from all the other office construction.

Also regarding solid proposals Left Coaster on SSP said 16 York is on hold indefinitely - maybe CF focusing on this instead?

Wasn't there some sort of condition related to Ãce's approvals in prime office country that CF was required to proceed with 16 York prior to occupancy of the condo towers?

Assuming CF can indeed put the brakes on 16 York, that would certainly fit with a hypothetical storyline where some mysterious tenant called up CF and wanted to partner on a showpiece headquarters, and realizing the site that had been project #2 in their pipeline was possibly now closer to market, CF decided to delay project #1 two blocks away that would compete for similar leases.

Last edited:
my understanding of leftcoasters posts was that 16 york is not on hold, but rather is not gaining any traction with potential tenants, I.E. there is no interest in the building.

Would the Allied property across the street be considered a solid proposal? I know they are trying to do the Pearson connection thing but haven't really been following that one.

Taal, I know you are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to office stuff but are you sure about 18 York? When they did the light bridge unveiling they said the building was 90% occupied. Also regarding solid proposals Left Coaster on SSP said 16 York is on hold indefinitely - maybe CF focusing on this instead?

Good point regarding the Allied proposals ! All of them have started the approval process ... but have done nothing in terms of actually marketing (its a little early for that).

As interchange mentioned, I imagine after approvals are completed, some or all of the projects (they have about 4 or 5 believe it or not !) may go on hold ... I should restate that, these companies rarely put a project on hold rather scale down the marking effort:
- Front Street property (existing datacenter) ... I've heard the "internet hotel" is in high demand, but for the project to be worthwhile, they also need to include an office component, and leasing that could take some time. Also, (and this isn't as well known) allied leased a big chunk of space in the CBC building. CBC has been trying to offload some of the building (its difficult because they need to get permission from the government to do this), anyway the space they took is going to be a internet hotel so to speak as well, so that could meet some of the demand anyway.
- Front Street property #2 (This is the globe and mail land) ... teeming up riocan ... I have a feeling this may get under way sooner then the rest because of the retail component and potentially the Global and mail themselves (leasing space).
- A couple on King.
- One on college (joint with riocan).

Good catch regarding 18 York ! That's not what I meant sorry about that ... I meant menkes office building that is going up ... on spec just about (HOOP took some space (less then 20%).

Last edited:
Wasn't there some sort of condition related to Ãce's approvals in prime office country that CF was required to proceed with 16 York prior to occupancy of the condo towers?

Assuming CF can indeed put the brakes on 16 York, that would certainly fit with a hypothetical storyline where some mysterious tenant called up CF and wanted to partner on a showpiece headquarters, and realizing the site that had been project #2 in their pipeline was possibly now closer to market, CF decided to delay project #1 two blocks away that would compete for similar leases.

Forum member Urban Optic (who clearly has inside info regarding ICE) mentioned the office approval thing that you are referring to and someone else in the ICE thread said look for the trailers to come out soon (implying that 16 York was getting the go ahead). This was about a month or so, which lead to...

my understanding of leftcoasters posts was that 16 york is not on hold, but rather is not gaining any traction with potential tenants, I.E. there is no interest in the building.

...LC on SSP saying 16 York was 'on hold indefinitely' and no construction was happening any time soon when someone asked if the trailers coming out rumour was true. Now like innsert is saying, he could have just been saying that 16 isn't getting any interest but his exact words was 'on hold indefinitely' which I think is developer speak for a little something more than 'no interest from potential tenants'. I could be reading too much into this but just stating the info as it was presented.

Back to something UD said a page or two, about Cisco looking for space in TO, I'm not sure if he is referring to the same info but I recall in the Post or Globe a story about Southcore that mentioned Apple and Cisco amongst others looking for space in Southcore. Maybe they gave 16 York a look and decided 43 Simcoe would be a better fit? I say this only because one of the last posts LC mentioned on SSP was that a company like Barrick would not be the rumoured tenant, so maybe it is Cisco?

The again WhipperSnapper (knowledgeable Mod in his own right) specuated maybe a law firm like Norton Rose consolidating to one building, so who knows. LC also mentioned this proposed building would be around 260 meters or so.

sounds very interesting indeed! Great that they are going with a lead architect from out of town...we need more diversity..

Back