Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

I wonder how long till sites become scarce enough that we'll see a plan to build a tower over the ACC, if ever. And if such a thing would even be possible. There's nowhere else for the teams to relocate while under construction so a complete rebuild would be incredible disruptive to the business and I have no idea if it would be possible to build up and cantilevered over the current arena while keeping it operational and having the resulting building be structurally sound. ? I am not an engineer. But when I see wide shots of the area like above I often wonder

It's a large site, and a central one — worthy of a landmark and a major tower rising up over the arena would be fitting for the urban jungle that the area has become... but maybe it wouldn't be possible.
Any such tower would probably just replace the existing office portion at the northeast corner of the site, and could be done without closing the arena

I wonder how long till sites become scarce enough that we'll see a plan to build a tower over the ACC, if ever. And if such a thing would even be possible. There's nowhere else for the teams to relocate while under construction so a complete rebuild would be incredible disruptive to the business and I have no idea if it would be possible to build up and cantilevered over the current arena while keeping it operational and having the resulting building be structurally sound. ? I am not an engineer. But when I see wide shots of the area like above I often wonder

It's a large site, and a central one — worthy of a landmark and a major tower rising up over the arena would be fitting for the urban jungle that the area has become... but maybe it wouldn't be possible.

Scotiabank just signed a 20 year naming right to the Arena. These Modern Arenas last a long time, I dont think there will even talks to demolish it until 2040 and even then they will probably renovate it than remove it.

Its location is prime.
Besides Union Station
Right in heart of Downtown
You have a great public gathering place in Maple Leaf Square for Leafs and Raptors fans.

It aint going anywhere.

Agreed - fully expect this arena to follow Madison Square Garden as something that is continually renewed instead of replaced.

Scotiabank just signed a 20 year naming right to the Arena. These Modern Arenas last a long time, I dont think there will even talks to demolish it until 2040 and even then they will probably renovate it than remove it.

Its location is prime.
Besides Union Station
You have a great public gathering place in Maple Leaf Square for Leafs and Raptors fans.

It aint going anywhere.

Today
5FC565D9-EDBC-4687-BAD0-0F8709DC3940.jpeg

Its location is prime.
Besides Union Station

It aint going anywhere.

Naming rights have zero impact on the decision to move an arena/stadium.

That being said, there is no reason for this one to relocate. Landmarks don't just come in tower form, so not sure why a prime site needs to become a tower. The arena itself is already a landmark and does more for this site than any tower would do.

Its location is prime.
Besides Union Station

It aint going anywhere.

Definitely not suggesting it is or should go anywhere! It's great where it is! Just thinking about intensification of the tower portion either directly up or also somewhat over the current structure.

It's been pretty amazing to see this whole area during the Raptor's run the last little while and 16 York is really adding to the super dense canyon aspect of this stretch - amazing to see it filled up with people like it has been recently!

Back