Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

Got a letter from TAS the other day, it basically states what we all know.
"The OMB issued a negative decision regarding Giraffe last week. At this time we are in discussions with the city and reviewing how we may proceed with various options. We would like to assure you that we are dealing with this decision, and we will keep you informed as we proceed." All deposits are secure and future deposits will not be transacted until further notice.

So.. who knows that this means. Maybe they're assuming that the buyers don't know that they were shot down the way they were. Maybe they are selling the land to the city? Maybe they are redesigning the tower? Maybe they are starting all over again?
It's all a mystery at the moment it seems.

Hopefully they are starting all over - they need to design something which is consistent with the Official Plan (startling prospect for a developer, I know.) Designing with constraints IS the challenge for a developer and his architect - and the constraints include the Offical Plan as well as the spreadsheet.
I also hope that TAS do find another location for the building known as Giraffe as it is a neat concept, but the new location needs to actually be zoned for 27s (or very very close). It would be a huge shame to see the Giraffe truncated simply to squeeze it into this space.
- AmJ

Permissions for Official Plan Amendment do exist for a reason in the Ontario Planning Act ... that is, to allow one to AMEND Official Plan policies as appropriate ~

therefore it is unrealistic to assume that a developer should only design a project that is 'consistent' with the City's Official Plan

Yes, but many developers do make applications that are consistent with the OP and only submit rezoning or minor variance applications, if anything. A lot of OPAs that are made are generally consistent with the OP except one or two policies that are very prescriptive, ie. % of ground floor to be retail/commercial.

UPDATE:
For those still interested in this debacle...
Spoke with someone at TAS today. I highly doubt this person was any sort of expert on the situation, but I was told that the next major update on Giraffe's situation will be made known in late April.
They are in discussions with the city at the moment, which seems odd or just plain incorrect since the city already referred the proposal to the OMB in 2009.
This can only lead me to believe that they are revamping the project, possibly designing one that will fit in more with the neighbourhood (ie: shorter). But who really knows to be honest.
Any sort of revamp will lead to a material change of contract, so for any others out there that bought here, refund options will be made known within the next month or so.

Milanista, interesting but not surprising. TAS will be looking to come up with something that would meet with acceptance at City Hall. It would be quite unlikely that they would just leave the site sitting there, as someone had suggested, given the carrying costs if nothing else.

... I also hope that TAS do find another location for the building known as Giraffe as it is a neat concept, but the new location needs to actually be zoned for 27s (or very very close). It would be a huge shame to see the Giraffe truncated simply to squeeze it into this space.
- AmJ

Agreed. I liked the looks of this building very much; the city needs this kind of design, just not necessarily in this location.

If I were the developer, here's what I'd do: Tell the community I'm building only 15 floors. But in reality, I'd build 27.:D Then I'd flee the country, wait out my time in (Iran?), then come back in 5 years when everything's cooled down, relaunch business under a new name, and live happily ever after.

If I were the developer, here's what I'd do: Tell the community I'm building only 15 floors. But in reality, I'd build 27.:D Then I'd flee the country, wait out my time in (Iran?), then come back in 5 years when everything's cooled down, relaunch business under a new name, and live happily ever after.

Good one....but i would pick copacabana beach in Rio Brazil instead.

This project is no longer Teeple but Quadrangle (same group is doing the condo at Indian & Bloor). At TAS' community meeting, the neighbourhood told the them that TAS should stick to the avenue study guidelines but are willing to compromise. TAS HAS appealed the OMB ruling. Community/developer/city consultations will continue.

This project is no longer Teeple but Quadrangle (same group is doing the condo at Indian & Bloor). At TAS' community meeting, the neighbourhood told the them that TAS should stick to the avenue study guidelines but are willing to compromise. TAS HAS appealed the OMB ruling. Community/developer/city consultations will continue.

What? Which meeting was this? Are there any more to come?
Also, if Quadrangle is on the project now and Teeple is out, does that mean that the original Giraffe tower is totally dead?
Looks like I may be getting my money back sooner than I thought.

Giraffe is sad, very very sad and lonely.:( Will Giraffe go to the zoo?

dsc01899vg.jpg

April 3 2010 update

Impressed with the facade of Giraffe's sales office ~

Click to Enlarge

Returned cheques

UPDATE:
For those still interested in this debacle...
Spoke with someone at TAS today. I highly doubt this person was any sort of expert on the situation, but I was told that the next major update on Giraffe's situation will be made known in late April.
They are in discussions with the city at the moment, which seems odd or just plain incorrect since the city already referred the proposal to the OMB in 2009.
This can only lead me to believe that they are revamping the project, possibly designing one that will fit in more with the neighbourhood (ie: shorter). But who really knows to be honest.
Any sort of revamp will lead to a material change of contract, so for any others out there that bought here, refund options will be made known within the next month or so.

Hi Milanista,
A friend of mine who bought at Giraffe one week before the OMB decision got an e mail with all the cheques scanned and void.
I have no idea where this is going. By the way the e mail was received somewhere on March 23-25, 2010
Later

Giraffe never had been a lucky project around. First TAS picked a very wrong date to launch it with heavy ADs investment but only little return in sales. While a lot other builders held off projects when sensing the downturn heading into the coming year. Second all the comments against it's height. To be honest even till today I do not understand why the two tall apartment buildings across the street were allowed if the standard has been this strict. Third it seemed things getting better after all, now it is the project cancellation. Well hope everyone will get their money back soon.

To be honest even till today I do not understand why the two tall apartment buildings across the street were allowed if the standard has been this strict.

Because they were approved before said strict guidelines and modus operandi existed.

Back