Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

2007-04-27_-_A.jpg

This will be somewhat similar to M5V in terms of the energy efficient plans within it. The rendering I saw a few months ago was a bit different (similar elements) so I'm not too sure which is the newest version.

I am not sure that I care for this design. It seems busy without being elegant, 'clunky' without being handsome. It just appears to be a bit of a mess.

I like this second rendering a bit better. It just may be the same design but at a different angle.

This exciting design will totally revive the aesthetically challenged area, I love it.

This is brilliant... I'd almost pass up Casa for this.

It is sure to highlight how hideous this beast is on the other corner of that intersection:

TorBd.1.jpg

I would bet that that brown slateish stuff will turn out to be bright red on the finished product. I have faith in the architect, so I bet this will turn out pretty well. Great location, too!

Am not so certain it's a "great location." Dundas West is grim (I live@Keele): RR tracks and crummy buildings to the East ruin the "connected to toronto vibe" there's lotsa ghetto action on that corner. But, the teeple concept is very nice but one wonders if it'll turn out to be a mistake similar to the Crossways complex? The Crossways could use a Teeple makeover--paint it some brighter colour for example. Green or blue or fucsia?

There's many strip malls from keele to dundas that could see condos--at least 10 sites. Another 50,000 residents could make this area another node similar to Y+E.

I am not sure that I care for this design. It seems busy without being elegant, 'clunky' without being handsome. It just appears to be a bit of a mess.

To me it looks 'exciting' without being boring.

edit: oops - I see you softened your tone in a following post.

The Crossways could use a Teeple makeover--paint it some brighter colour for example. Green or blue or fucsia?

Caaaaaaaaack! Yuck, I'll have to clean that up.

I don't think the Crossways complex is that bad either, it's definitely better than generic slab towers. The gap between the towers has a way of framing the sky, and the creases in the facade enhance this. You don't see any generic concrete, it's all brick from top to bottom. It doesn't meet the street well, and it's got problems, but for me it's not an eyesore. Any work to that property should be focused on street level retail and making it more open to pedestrians.

As for the new project, it's very exciting. The architecture is busy but not dull or tiring. The high school at the southeast corner of Bloor and Dundas is also undergoing some renovation. There's an air of revitalization in that area, with the West Toronto grade separation projects and that link tunnel from the Bloor Go station to Dundas West. I'm not going to include the wonderful proposed Railpath with these projects. It is slow moving and probably won't connect the Junction with Queen West any time soon.

Back