News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

... attempt to dig in the best possible layers.

This is my last one about the metro de Mtl on this thread dedicated to the amazing Toronto subway. Westmount, the richest city in Mtl on the mountain, didn't want a subway station, too low class for them they said. They were going to have it anyway but the ground between St-Henri and Vendome station was so bad the city had to give up; it's the only part of the system were there is a sustaining wall between the rails and is the longest uninterrupted tunnel.

Here is Westmount Station, the station of the upper crust that you will never see LOL

westmount.gif

Last edited:
This is my last one about the metro de Mtl on this thread dedicated to the amazing Toronto subway. Westmount, the richest city in Mtl on the mountain, didn't want a subway station, too low class for them they said. They were going to have it anyway but the ground between St-Henri and Vendome station was so bad the city had to give up; it's the only part of the system were there is a sustaining wall between the rails and is the longest uninterrupted tunnel.
I lived in NDG when Vendome was being constructed - and for years after, it was my local station. There is that reinforcing where the orange line climbs the escarpment, but as far as I understand, it doesn't continue much past after the tunnel turns from North-south (under Rue Lacasse I believe) to Ste-Catherine (the curve is under Bethune somewhereish). The alignment was set-up to build what would have been Metro Westmount, at the corner of Victoria and Ste-Catharine - and I don't think it was geologically an issue, simply political. There would also have under that plan been a station at Decarie Boulevard (Boulevard not Expressway) and Sherbrooke (Metro Decarie if I remember correctly). The straight-aways are still there ... and that's why there are such tight turns west of Vendome and west of Place-St-Henri ... if they'd had been planning the station at Vendome from Day 1, you'd think they'd have had a completely different and less bendy alignment from Place-St-Henri to Villa Maria ... though if they'd planned the final alignment from day 1, I doubt the green line west of Atwater would have gone east as far as Westmount High School ... it actually runs north-south right under the centre of the high school ... I've always wondered if there's a future possibility of a station, as it's very straight from Ste-Catherine all the way to St-Antoine. It's amazing the lengths Westmount went to avoid having a subway station.

We are way off topic here though ...

slightly off topic here, but i was on a T1 today and realized that the breaking has somewhat improved (didn't hear any screeching sounds). not sure if it's just this train that got the special treatment, or is it just the fact that the ttc has finally realized that the breaks on the T1 is horrendous and needs to be repaired...

Several times now when I've been on a TR on a hot day, I've noticed that there's cold air-conditioned air blowing out of the ceiling vents, and at the same time, the floor-level heaters are on. Feels rather odd when you're sitting by the wall and having cold air blowing down on your head and hot air rising up your legs. Is this supposed to happen? I guess it averages out to room temperature, but it doesn't seem like a very energy-efficient way to do it!

Several times now when I've been on a TR on a hot day, I've noticed that there's cold air-conditioned air blowing out of the ceiling vents, and at the same time, the floor-level heaters are on. Feels rather odd when you're sitting by the wall and having cold air blowing down on your head and hot air rising up your legs. Is this supposed to happen? I guess it averages out to room temperature, but it doesn't seem like a very energy-efficient way to do it!

Believe or not, that is how manual air-conditioning works on most cars. While the automatic air-conditioning works on the temperature settings, manual air-conditioning works by being on all the time. The dial to control the amount of cold air is not based on a thermostat, but regulates how much of the cold air is heated by the engine. The extreme cold means there is no heating, but as you set the dial setting upward, the more heat is added. The air-conditioning may also turn on for defrosting the front window, the A/C removes the humidity in the air so that drier air is blown on the window.

TR Delivery Status

As of June 2012 there were 18 TR's in Service. So far this month I have not seen any more TR's come into service.

This isn't directly related to our Toronto Rockets, but I found these old documentaries about our old M1 and Gloucester cars and I thought some may be interested. For years I've been trying to find videos of the Gloucester and all I've ever come across are a few very short clips (10 seconds or less) and a blurry 5 minute video. Videos of the M1 are even more rare. All I've been able to find of them are a few low resolution photographs and not a singe second of video.

Check them out here:
M1: http://www.gpsvideocanada.com/tm29-dvd-farewell-to-toronto-s-m1-subway-cars
Gloucester: http://www.gpsvideocanada.com/g1fw-dvd-torontos-gloucester-g1-subway-cars-final-farewell-fan-trip

As of June 2012 there were 18 TR's in Service. So far this month I have not seen any more TR's come into service.

Since then, all of the first 20 trainsets are now in service. Trainset 21 (558x) is currently undergoing its 800km test, and trainset 22 (559x) is being delivered and assembled.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I noticed that train 5400 has rivets along the sheetmetal that is much more pronounced than other trains.

I thought TRs were supposed to be smooth.

I noticed that train 5400 has rivets along the sheetmetal that is much more pronounced than other trains.

I thought TRs were supposed to be smooth.

They are not rivets. The bodies of the TRs are made of welded stainless steel. For whatever reason, the welds are more obvious on the first three trainsets.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Here is what Berlin has and some rough riding
[video=youtube;AVjoMg2PFO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVjoMg2PFO0[/video]
[video=youtube;O-YXSju0je0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YXSju0je0[/video]

T1 refurbishment?

Seeing as the T1 fleet will continue to serve Toronto for decades to come, does the TTC have plans to upgrade their safety and customer information features to those found on the new TRs, as well as legacy LRVs? (i.e. cameras, passenger intercoms, and LED next station displays)

It would seem a little strange if they don't, as after the H5s and H6s are retired, and the new streetcars have arrived, the T1s would be the only vehicles in the TTC bus/streetcar/subway fleet to lack these features.

Seeing as the T1 fleet will continue to serve Toronto for decades to come, does the TTC have plans to upgrade their safety and customer information features to those found on the new TRs, as well as legacy LRVs? (i.e. cameras, passenger intercoms, and LED next station displays)

It would seem a little strange if they don't, as after the H5s and H6s are retired, and the new streetcars have arrived, the T1s would be the only vehicles in the TTC bus/streetcar/subway fleet to lack these features.

I would say yes the T1 will be upgraded to the new standards of the day during mid life rebuilding. Some will happen before then, subject to funding.

Because of construction, the YUS line is split into two separate services this weekend: Finch-Union and Downsview-St. Andrew (no service between Union and St. Andrew). I was impressed to see that the illumination of the TR route map has been changed to reflect this: only the appropriate half of the line is lit up (e.g. only Finch to Union is lit up on the Yonge trains). Very helpful for passengers, and a definite benefit of the new maps.

Back