News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 611     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

seriously, the computer-generated voice is really bothering me...especially when they are announcing about the delays and other general messages...

Although it sometimes sounds odd, I think the computer voice is a huge improvement for delay announcements, which were often completely unintelligible when they were done by humans (mainly because they tended to speak way too fast). At least now you can understand the announcements, even if they sound weird sometimes.

The stop announcements on the new trains are a different matter. Since it's always the same set of stops, why can't they use an actual human recording rather than an unnatural-sounding computer voice?

The stop announcements on the new trains are a different matter. Since it's always the same set of stops, why can't they use an actual human recording rather than an unnatural-sounding computer voice?

They should get the same recording voice as the female voice from HK's MTR. Or someone with a very clear, loud and understandable voice. I still find it difficult to hear announcements on TTC.

Personally, I would like to hear different voices. Like using James Earl Jones' voice for behavioral announcements ("Do not litter. Use the litter containers"). Or Majel Barrett (Star Trek computer voice) for employee directional announcements ("99 call control"). This is so that one would listen to a voice that is directed at you.

You can get that for GPS, so why not? Imagine Samuel L. Jackson telling people not to block the doors.

You can get that for GPS, so why not? Imagine Samuel L. Jackson telling people not to block the doors.

"Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with these motherf*ckin' riders on this motherf*ckin' train! Everybody get out of the doorways!"

"Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with these motherf*ckin' riders on this motherf*ckin' train! Everybody get out of the doorways!"

Quite annoying, I have stopped agonizing over it, I just say "excuse me" loud and clear and walk over anyone that refuses to pay attention.

I think there are some problems with the intercom too when human voices are being used. I don't think it's the human itself, but rather the intercom because it always sounds fuzzy...

Personally, I would like to hear different voices. Like using James Earl Jones' voice for behavioral announcements ("Do not litter. Use the litter containers"). Or Majel Barrett (Star Trek computer voice) for employee directional announcements ("99 call control"). This is so that one would listen to a voice that is directed at you.

Sadly Majel Barrett-Roddenberry passed away. She won't be available for any more Star Trek-related computer voice work :(

The aisle looks pretty narrow... not a fan of the aisle poles either
Looks the same width as the other old cars. Not sure it's a big deal, as it's only a single seat (back-to-back), so you don't have to stand there, or push down a long aisle - or even pass by to get to the doors. If you look, they've actually made this 2x1 instead of 2x2 at the ends of the car, where you can pass to the other car. They don't look to be aisle polls, but a single poll in the centre of the car, at the doors. I find the new Toronto trains, at the doors at the end of the cars, are a bit of a problem, because if your going to the door, in the centre of the car, you have absolutely nothing to hold onto, as the train slows down.

The main issue for Montreal is the narrow cars. Which are even narrow than the legacy Toronto streetcars.

Last edited:

Back