News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 469     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1165382--new-ttc-train-the-rocket-takes-away-some-of-the-fun-factor

I am shocked to learn that people still lament at the fact that the Toronto Rocket train takes the fun away from standing at the front or the back of the train.

Simple solution: keep your hand open, have fingers touching each other, keeping them in a stiff position, have the side of your index finger touching your forehead, and the pinkie touching or close to touching the window like a military salute. This way, it becomes a railfan window.

300px-Female_officer_saluting.jpg

In other words, just like that except that the index finger touches your forehead and the pinkie touches or close to touching the window

To be fair, I once lamented at the loss of the railfan window on the Toronto Rocket train, until I accidentally learned how to make it a railfan window again.

Still, the lack of a true railfan window is a negative.

The lack of a railfan window will suck when the Spadina extension opens. What a shame you won't be able to see the new tunnels that well. I hope the TTC shoots a video of the extension and posts it online.

The lack of a railfan window will suck when the Spadina extension opens. What a shame you won't be able to see the new tunnels that well. I hope the TTC shoots a video of the extension and posts it online.

When my kids were young, they always went to look out the front window. Sounds like one of those stories to tell your grandchildren.

The annoying thing is that the TRs don't make it physically impossible to see out the front -- it's just the reflective coating on the cab door window that blocks the view. What is the reason for that reflective coating? Operator privacy? Some transport agencies do allow passengers to see into the cab, and passengers will be able to see into the cab of our new streetcars.

The annoying thing is that the TRs don't make it physically impossible to see out the front -- it's just the reflective coating on the cab door window that blocks the view. What is the reason for that reflective coating? Operator privacy?

Glare, I would presume.

The annoying thing is that the TRs don't make it physically impossible to see out the front -- it's just the reflective coating on the cab door window that blocks the view. What is the reason for that reflective coating? Operator privacy? Some transport agencies do allow passengers to see into the cab, and passengers will be able to see into the cab of our new streetcars.

When the 1 Y-U-S goes fully ATO/ATC, the (non-)driver will be able to step out of cab as the train moves on, lock the door behind, and be in the same circumstances as the passengers, not able to see out front.

Eventually, the way things are going, passengers won't be able to sit down. You'd think that, as a result of the extra space they created by eliminating the "dead space" between the cars, they'd have used some of it for extra seating.

To get a good view like this one I shot on July 30rd, 2011, you will need to zoom out if your camera can do it. It was my first try and know what I have to do now on future shots when I catch one of these trains and going outside.

I thought I post this after the run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUBlCtBcko

You will not get a great view/shot once you are in the tunnels like you can with the current fleet.

Once all the trains are TR, will be boring riding the trains as I try for the rail fan seats if I am taking a long run.

It will be interesting to see if the current door opening will become like the current fleet since they have cut 3 seconds off the original 6 seconds. 3 seconds is still too long.

They need to change the door closing announcement as it all over the place. Been on trains where it said the doors are closing after the doors have close.

They need to reverse the closing announcement order.

You can tell if there is a TR at the platform by its sounds, if you are one level up.

The highest I have hit so far has been 5531, but seems to catch 5411 most of the time for some reason.

Anyway, if you want front view shots, you better start doing it now, as it will be too late by next year.

I know the announcements have been discussed before, but is there any indication that they will be tweaked to be sound more natural and less computer-generated? There are some stop announcements that have some pauses and uneven intonation in them. (The voice also sounds oddly English in 'arriving at Osgoode Station', but that's not really a problem).

I know the announcements have been discussed before, but is there any indication that they will be tweaked to be sound more natural and less computer-generated? There are some stop announcements that have some pauses and uneven intonation in them. (The voice also sounds oddly English in 'arriving at Osgoode Station', but that's not really a problem).

Also, the pronunciation of Dupont is incorrect -- for the Toronto street, the stress should be on the first syllable (DU-pont, not du-PONT as it currently says).

seriously, the computer-generated voice is really bothering me...especially when they are announcing about the delays and other general messages...

Back