News   Apr 24, 2024
 235     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 619     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

In regular operation there is no need to change the signs, but the subway yards at Wilson and Greenwood have loops. It would suggest that some operators fail to check their destination signs when leaving the yard.

At one time it was the responsibility of the subway yard crews to properly set up the run numbers and destination signs (and set Identra coils to the correct position when they were used). Cases where a train has the opposite sign on both ends could have occurred because the train was looped around the yard before it went out, or it could just be laziness. The operating crew tend to only change signs on the trains that turn back from St. Clair West in the morning on the YUS, and at the front end of trains running into the Greenwood Yard on the BD. Another issue is the standby trains run through stations out of service on their way to their lay-up points sometimes displaying a regular destination sign instead of the Not In Service sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but automated pre-boarding announcements will be a requirement under AODA legislation by 2017 for all transit vehicles. They already have them on most surface vehicles in Vancouver and as long as it's short and succinct, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but automated pre-boarding announcements will be a requirement under AODA legislation by 2017 for all transit vehicles. They already have them on most surface vehicles in Vancouver and as long as it's short and succinct, it's not the worst thing in the world.

What are pre-boarding announcements?

Though I know this thread is on subways I must say I wish the bus and streetcar stop announcements remained displayed until the vehicle LEAVES the stop. Now the announcement is made and the sign lights up not long after one leaves the previous stop but then the sign goes off before one reaches the stop that was announced.

I believe that's when passengers in need of extra assistance, or with wheelchairs, strollers, or small children get to go in first. :)

It will tell you what bus it is and where it is going. I have heard this on Burlington, MT and Brampton buses, but only on a few of the newer ones. I believe I have heard it on Oakville and YRT also, but cannot swear to it, since I don't ride those system much these days.

Depending on drivers, most of them will allow wheelchairs on first.

Don't support strollers on first unless the accessibility seats are folded up first if they are not occupancy by the people who have first rights to them in the first place. If these seat are occupancy, then they should be the last thing to come on board. Otherwise, you will have people not be able to get pass them and if so, they will trip over them, as most are too large for buses today. Have photos and videos showing this.

Most systems don't know how to deal with strollers and they are a safety issues if there is more than one on a bus. Seen a whole buses go out of service as they were full of stroller and only a few seated riders. One artic ran from Dundas to Sq One with "sorry bus full" with 12 riders and 8 strollers blocking all doorways. Next bus in 15 minutes.

Why are the windows on the new subway cars tinted? I find this a somewhat disconcerting, as it somewhat obscures the view of the station from inside the (brightly lit) car. I wasn't aware that excess sunlight was a problem that needed fixing in a subway car...

Why are the windows on the new subway cars tinted? I find this a somewhat disconcerting, as it somewhat obscures the view of the station from inside the (brightly lit) car. I wasn't aware that excess sunlight was a problem that needed fixing in a subway car...

Cheaper than double-glazing.

Bright sunlight.

Whats that?????:confused::confused:.......................Oh!!!! :eek::eek:...that bright thing in the sky when you get out of the tunnels:cool::cool: and its only a short distance in the first place:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Whats that?????:confused::confused:.......................Oh!!!! :eek::eek:...that bright thing in the sky when you get out of the tunnels:cool::cool: and its only a short distance in the first place:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

The tinting is a film that helps to reflect the heat or cold from entering the cars or escaping the car, (blocks 89% of the sun's heat) saving energy. Also helps protect UV from fading the interior, as well as a vandalism protection. The film can be replaced if someone tries to scratch the windows, there are actually several layers to make it easier for the maintenance workers. If the window is broken, the film keeps the glass together so as to not injure passengers.

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1165382--new-ttc-train-the-rocket-takes-away-some-of-the-fun-factor

I am shocked to learn that people still lament at the fact that the Toronto Rocket train takes the fun away from standing at the front or the back of the train.

Simple solution: keep your hand open, have fingers touching each other, keeping them in a stiff position, have the side of your index finger touching your forehead, and the pinkie touching or close to touching the window like a military salute. This way, it becomes a railfan window.

300px-Female_officer_saluting.jpg

In other words, just like that except that the index finger touches your forehead and the pinkie touches or close to touching the window

To be fair, I once lamented at the loss of the railfan window on the Toronto Rocket train, until I accidentally learned how to make it a railfan window again.

Last edited:

Back