News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 577     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Finally got to ride one today. Why are the windows tinted...?

The tinted windows come in really handy when the trian is running outside, like north of Eglinton and when the sun is low on the horizon. That was actually the first time I even noticed the tinted windows when I was no longer blinded by the direct sunlight. :)

Though I find it a problem when actually in an underground station: often, you barely notice you're "there" until the doors open. (On the whole, as I've said, it lends more of a "pod people" experience that seems to be common to a lot of mass travel these days--it used to be, one looked out the window; these days, people would rather concentrate on their own deeds and disconnect with what's out the window)

it used to be, one looked out the window; these days, people would rather concentrate on their own deeds and disconnect with what's out the window)

It seems I am happily in the minority then. I prefer to see the outside world, thank you very much.

Are they ever going to make changes to those announcements? It really bothers me when it says "Please stand clear of doors" AFTER the door closes... Also, the statement itself is grammatically incorrect as some ppl have mentioned here.

Here are some suggestions that I have for the announcements:

1. BEFORE the door closes, it should say "Please stand back from the door", followed by the chime, and then the door closes.

2. Interchange stations: I don't think it's necessary to state that it is an interchange station, rather try something like this: "Arriving at Sheppard Station. Passengers wishing to transfer to the Sheppard Subway, please change trains here."

3. Terminal stations: Again, I don't think it's necessary to mention that it is the terminal station since it is clearly stated on the map that it's the last station.

4. Arriving at the station: I know those ticker lines shows you which way the door opens, but for those that are visually impaired, it would be nice if they can add something like: "Arriving at Sheppard Station, doors will open on the left.

I agree with most of what you've said noctis but personally I don't mind the phrase "please stand clear of doors". I don't know why or where, but I'm sure I've heard it said that way before. It sounds like something a computer would say.

But I totally agree changing the way they announce interchange stations, and announcing the side of the train the doors will open (I'm thinking of London).

I agree with most of what you've said noctis but personally I don't mind the phrase "please stand clear of doors". I don't know why or where, but I'm sure I've heard it said that way before. It sounds like something a computer would say.

But I totally agree changing the way they announce interchange stations, and announcing the side of the train the doors will open (I'm thinking of London).

I got most of the ideas from the Hong Kong MTR and the Taipei MRT system. It's just that when you listen to those announcements it makes you want to listen to them if you know what I mean. The ones we have here, after listenining to it, it made feel like, "oh ok, whatever..."

Also, is there a way to change the current "computer voice"? It sounds really bad, imo...

What happened to that arrow that was supposed to point to the door that opens, or perhaps have the doors light up.

It would be nice to have something like that =D but I wouldn't get my hopes up =P

Another problem I have with the train is those seats. I personally don't like the red covers on those seats, I would rather leave it blank like the ones in the picture here and maybe paint them with a different color.

PICT0004r.jpg

It would be nice to have something like that =D but I wouldn't get my hopes up =P

Another problem I have with the train is those seats. I personally don't like the red covers on those seats, I would rather leave it blank like the ones in the picture here and maybe paint them with a different color.

PICT0004r.jpg

I definitely do NOT want blank seats like the above photo. Cold and slippery for me.

With delivery of the TRs continuing, I've noticed more 53xx cars showing up on the Bloor-Danforth line and frequently see what appear to be H4s at the north end of the Wilson yard looking an awful lot like they're being removed from service. Clearly, T1s are being transferred from Wilson to Greenwood as TRs are coming online and the H4s are leaving. Is there a timetable for when the last H4s will run in service? Will they be holding onto any H4s, lest the TRs have some sort of major issue like the H6s had after entry into service that require their removal from duty and a repositioning of some of the T1s back to the Wilson yard?

I thought that with the addition of the new trains, they would no longer be short-turning at St. Clair West station, but extending it to at least short-turn at Glencairn station or no more short-turn trains. I don't remember any announcements. Unless the not doing so is part of the service cuts going on.

Last edited:

PICT0004r.jpg

What strikes me about this picture is that the standard of cleanliness on this train is unthinkable in 2012 Toronto. The floors look like they're actually polished.

I thought that with the addition of the new trains, they would no longer be short-turning at St. Clair West station, but extending it to at least short-turn at Glencairn station or no more short-turn trains. I don't remember any announcements. Unless the not doing so is part of the service cuts going on.

That expenditure is not in the budget.

Back