News   Jul 03, 2024
 319     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.2K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

^Again, unfounded assumptions are being made here. There's nothing preventing the new fleet from going into service on the Bloor-Danforth line immediately. However, *if* this happened, Greenwood would have to be modified to take on the new fleet at some point before they are acquired.

I think it's based on history. Line 2 always seems the get the hand me downs. It had the H series when Line 1 got T1s, same thing when the TRs came along

Except when Line 2 got the H6s whilst Line 1 had the H5s, but that's because there wasn't really any difference between them especially in terms of capacity issues.

On the other hand if the extravagantly expensive Scarborough extension opens up around the same time, the political winds might make it that the new cars go straight to line 2

The reason older cars are typically shifted to Line 2 is the capacity improvements?

Honestly open tender is probably the best option, IMO the TR's are ok but hardly the best we could do. The Azur trains Montreal has are MUCH nicer.

In terms of additional features I think you'd want

• all longituinal seeting (we need the capacity)
  • perhaps 8 car trains that fully fill the stations? (keep 4 doors per car but perhaps use the doors style from the flexity streetcars where the slide along the side of the body)
  • all glass doors would be nice
  • larger windows
  • replace the current maps with lcd's
  • wifi compatibility for the future
Don't forget having bus/streetcar arrival times in the subway trains!

Even in the future, sure smartphones would be ubiquitous, but not everyone would have them.

Even in the future, sure smartphones would be ubiquitous, but not everyone would have them.

Rather than just in the station? Although it's been after since I've ridden a bus in Toronto from a station, I don't know what's there in terms of arrival time stuff. I'm assuming there's something at the bus bays that I never go to....(edit: Google shows me what thet next vehicle screens look like) I think having it on the train is a neat idea though.

Rather than just in the station? Although it's been after since I've ridden a bus in Toronto from a station, I don't know what's there in terms of arrival time stuff. I'm assuming there's something at the bus bays that I never go to....(edit: Google shows me what thet next vehicle screens look like) I think having it on the train is a neat idea though.

I'd rather not give people more reasons to run through the stations. I already see people slip and fall sometimes at Sheppard when they run across the Sheppard platform just in case the train leaves and they have to wait a whole five more minutes. If we add the same thing for buses you'll get a lot of people sprinting through stations, tripping on stairs/escalators and bumping into other passengers who aren't in a frantic rush.

The screens by the bus bays are just fine - any more than that is just going to create as many problems at it solves.

Think about the transit apps on your smartphones. They would display the arrival times (or is it departure times?) when you're in the station. We want the same displays for those without smartphones.

It's one thing to make it available to people who feel it's so important to know that they check on their phones. It's another to advertise it to everyone.

Just think about a station like Finch. From the train to the bus platform there's a (very crowded) set of stairs, you walk past the fare gates, up a second set of stairs, down the long hall then up a third set of stairs. With these displays on trains we'd have a third of the people running in a hurry because they want to make it to their bus that's leaving in two minutes. That's a recipe for lots of people - not just the ones rushing but also the people around them - tripping, getting pushed, falling down stairs and getting hurt.

That's a recipe for lots of people - not just the ones rushing but also the people around them - tripping, getting pushed, falling down stairs and getting hurt.

That's the reality of life in a big city. /s

Things were a mess today, I feel like a train that completely fills the platform would have been helpful.

Feel like more people letting-out on platforms that can't accommodate them may make things worse.

It's one thing to make it available to people who feel it's so important to know that they check on their phones. It's another to advertise it to everyone.

Just think about a station like Finch. From the train to the bus platform there's a (very crowded) set of stairs, you walk past the fare gates, up a second set of stairs, down the long hall then up a third set of stairs. With these displays on trains we'd have a third of the people running in a hurry because they want to make it to their bus that's leaving in two minutes. That's a recipe for lots of people - not just the ones rushing but also the people around them - tripping, getting pushed, falling down stairs and getting hurt.

It might be counterbalanced by people who discover they don't have to rush.

^Again, unfounded assumptions are being made here. There's nothing preventing the new fleet from going into service on the Bloor-Danforth line immediately. However, *if* this happened, Greenwood would have to be modified to take on the new fleet at some point before they are acquired.
The current plan is they are going to build a new yard west of Kipling and move the Bloor Danforth trains to there. Greenwood yard will then be used to store equipment for the downtown relif line which will use shorter trains like shperard or the yard will be modifed for longer trains.As of right now the shops are set up for maired pairs only rather then six car train set.

Back