Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

if it gets approval, why wont it get build?
let me correct it for you. wont get approval because there isnt much separation between this and 80Bloor.
Exactly, but separation also matters. Otherwise, Toronto would start looking like Hong Kong (which isn't very livable). Finally, it doesn't really fit in well with the neighbourhood, and height isn't the only thing that makes a project great.

Exactly, but separation also matters. Otherwise, Toronto would start looking like Hong Kong (which isn't very livable). Finally, it doesn't really fit in well with the neighbourhood, and height isn't the only thing that makes a project great.
As someone who lived in hong kong I object to this sentiment.

That being said, even hong kong has restrictions in place now on building separation and for good reason, so yes separation is absolutely important.

Hong Kong is so beautiful. I wish Toronto looked like HK(minus the slums). It's a beautiful city geographically and architecturally. I'm saying this because I've been to HK twice.

Hong Kong is so beautiful. I wish Toronto looked like HK(minus the slums). It's a beautiful city geographically and architecturally. I'm saying this because I've been to HK twice.
What 'slums'? HK has had an excellent and ever-evolving public housing program since the Shek Kip Mei fire at the end of '53.

Is that sarcasm?
Screenshot_20201006-145141_Google.jpg

As someone who lived in hong kong I object to this sentiment.

That being said, even hong kong has restrictions in place now on building separation and for good reason, so yes separation is absolutely important.
Sorry, I didn't mean to disappoint anyone. I just meant that too much density squeezed in together can be a problem.

Project if you drive by those they look super ugly. im just saying that i like HK except those slums.

Everybody hug! Now!

But, you know, in hazmat suits.

no fighting. i respect Projectend, always provides solid evidence for discussion.

Attachments

• 1602013085471.png
    1602013085471.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 267
As someone who lived there for 5 years hong kong has its slums, some of them look like slums but are actually historical villages that the residents fight hard to protect even if they look run down.

Hong Kong has a very hidden poverty issue though, and has the largest wealth gap in the world, as well as one of the worst housing crisis in the developed world so, to say that there aren't slums is quite ignorant of reality. I've drove by them countless times. Slums also can be high rise boxes, full of poverty, but they're high rises so you dont always notice.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I retain my on-line engineering degree (from a website based in Mar-a -Lago Florida for those who missed my post), and I have submitted (an obvious) solution for the building separation issues to City Planning for review:

1. 80 Bloor West (proposed at 260m) will increased to 310m (sorry Sam) utilizing a longer/thinner floorplate, and a site plan that hugs the extreme west perimeter.

2. Herzog & de Meuron will work with the architects and developers of 80 Bloor West to ensure their floors are located at the identical height (they line up) as 1200 Bay.

3. Between the two supertalls, a stunningly-designed/clad shared elevator core (with skybridges east and west) will rise to service residents of both towers. A Santiago Calatrava-designed atrium will skirt the elevator core, rising 4 storeys in height.

4. Six evergreens will be planted at grade.

🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Last edited:
Yeah...this has come up a few times on this forum of others appearing to look down on those less fortunate from their lofty heights. Please don't do that. Look at the wonderful view instead. And help them so one day they can meet you on your level if it bothers you that much...

...back on topic though, I don't think this building has a snowball's chance in Hell of being that height. Let alone being built at all.

Back