Toronto 12 Ossington | 19.81m | 4s | Hullmark | Hariri Pontarini

What's not to understand? It's not a math equation. The design is a different take on an otherwise square building. The arches add a little bit of a 70's vibe.

For example, the uneven spacing of the otherwise symmetrical fenestration on the second floor east elevation. Why? Is this to match the uneven arching along the ground floor? I just find the design a bit puzzling, hard to follow the design intent.

I like what I see. Agreed, it's whimsical. There are worse things than indulging in a little architectural whimsy, especially in this town. We could use a little more personality and unpredictability.

I like the whimsy. I just don't think it is well executed.

To me this is a better example of this type of effort: Five Story House in Gangseo-gu, South Korea, 2018, by stpmj architects. https://www.archdaily.com/908712/five-story-house-stpmj

1546616191958.png

1546616227036.png

1546616267224.png

Proposal has been tweaked and new materials are now available:

• Height reduced from 18 to 16.25 metres, exclusive of mechanical equipment.
• Height of the second storey reduced from 5.8 metres to 4 metres to align with the cornice of the listed heritage building at 16 Ossington.
• Non-residential floor area reduced from 1,653 to 1,278 square metres.
• Greater 4.8-metre setback along Ossington to maintain views of the heritage building at 16 Ossington.

Hmmmm I prefer the original height of the second story. The proportions seemed better to me — in particular the second storey windows now seem kind of squat. I also think it complimented the heritage building a bit better when it was a tiny bit taller than the cornice rather than aligned with it as it is now. I'm not sure why — I see the theoretical argument that it should align and shouldn't be taller, but in practice I just don't think it seems as nice. Either way this is great and I hope it happens.

Approved at the Committee of Adjustment:

Not directly related to this development, but it seems that the city and BIA have started investigating options for revitalizing the neighbouring historic firehall building at 16 Ossington and the adjacent Green P lot at 18 Ossington:
Councillor Joe Cressy, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton, recommends that:
1. City Council request the General Manager, Real Estate Services to work with Toronto Fire Services and Toronto City Archives to conduct a thorough search for the clock previously located at Fire Hall No. 9 at 16 Ossington Avenue.
2. City Council request the Chief Executive Officer, CreateTO, and direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the General Manager, Transportation Services to explore opportunities to revitalize the land at 18 Ossington Avenue as public space, in collaboration with plans to revitalize the space at 16 Ossington Avenue, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

More info on the lost clock tower from Joe Cressy:
Located on the west side of Ossington Avenue, in the first block north of Queen Street, the building at 16 Ossington Avenue was constructed in 1878 as a fire hall. Originally known as Fire Hall No. 9, the City of Toronto commissioned new fire halls in tandem with the expansion of the City, numbering the facilities in order of their appearance. Fire Hall No. 9 was decommissioned in the late 1960s, and it is the oldest intact fire hall in the former City of Toronto. The building is now leased to the University Health Network, and provides critical support for community members, and the City as a whole. Archival photographs of the building depict a clock on top of the hose-drying tower, but it is not known what year the clock was removed.

At the same time, the Toronto Parking Authority operates a small Green P parking lot directly adjacent at 18 Ossington Avenue. With significant constraints on available space in this area of the City, and a growing residential and business community along Ossington, finding creative ways to expand and revitalize public space has become an increasing priority for stakeholders across the community.

An important neighbourhood landmark, local neighbours and the local Business Improvement Association, have come together with the goal of restoring the original clock tower at 16 Ossington Avenue, and working together to expand the public realm in the immediate area. Unfortunately, community efforts to locate the original clock have not yet been successful. At City Council this week I moved a motion directing staff to explore all possible avenues to locate the clock, as we continue to move forward to revitalize this historic site.

I hope that in addition to restoring the clock tower, the building gets a proper heritage restoration. Stripping the ugly peeling paint off the historic brick would be good start.

Not directly related to this development, but it seems that the city and BIA have started investigating options for revitalizing the neighbouring historic firehall building at 16 Ossington and the adjacent Green P lot at 18 Ossington:

More info on the lost clock tower from Joe Cressy:

I hope that in addition to restoring the clock tower, the building gets a proper heritage restoration. Stripping the ugly peeling paint off the historic brick would be good start.

Jeff Hull (of Hullmark) also made an "exciting things happening here soon"-type Instagram post a few days back.

I wonder if the bit about the Green P in Cressy's newsletter means they'll re-purpose some or all of that for a park or other public space, which would be excellent.

Back