Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

And, I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing as clear a breakdown of exactly what is proposed to comprise each block; from the report:

Block 1, SE corner of the site.
- LCBO office tower: 24 storeys (2-storey podium)

Block 2, NE corner of the site.
- 2 mixed-use towers: 74 and 76 storeys, respectively (5- and 9-storey podiums with a 2nd-floor bridge connecting them)
- Towers to be separated by an at-grade mews to run between Cooper and the new street to-be-created
- 1,699 residential units between the two towers
- 1,732 bicycle parking spots between the two towers (!)

Block 3, SW corner of the site.
- Mostly public park, with a 2-storey retail building on the northern edge of the block along the proposed Harbour St. extension, fronting both Harbour St. and the public park

Block 4, NW corner of the site.
- 4 residential towers: 85, 80, 70, and 65 storeys, respectively, separated by an east-west at-grade mews (4- and 5-storey podiums for the 4 towers)

This is a very interesting, and massive, development: more than 4.5 hectares.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.16 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.25 PM.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,551
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.16 PM.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,501
How do planners determine that 5542 bicycle spaces will be needed? Not everyone owns a bicycle. Some people have disabilities; others have no interest in cycling.

Conversely, is it realistic that there will only be one motor vehicle owner for every 3 households?

How do planners determine that 5542 bicycle spaces will be needed? Not everyone owns a bicycle. Some people have disabilities; others have no interest in cycling.

Conversely, is it realistic that there will only be one motor vehicle owner for every 3 households?

There must be a formula they use. I wouldn't be caught dead on a bicycle, but I think there are a lot of people who don't cycle now who eventually will. If this is true, it makes sense to anticipate an increase in the numbers and plan accordingly. A few extra bike spaces don't take much more space anyway.

The city has a bike zoning bylaw, and I believe it requires 1 spot per unit. The idea is that not every unit will have a bike, but many will have multiple, and that you also need spots for visitor.

As for parking, 1/3 is pretty standard and in the downtown is usually actually too much. Many simply sit empty.

The city has a bike zoning bylaw, and I believe it requires 1 spot per unit. The idea is that not every unit will have a bike, but many will have multiple, and that you also need spots for visitor.

As for parking, 1/3 is pretty standard and in the downtown is usually actually too much. Many simply sit empty.

Yep, my condo has hundreds of parking spots that are owned because so many people think they need to buy parking spots, but sit permanently empty, meanwhile there's a waiting list for bike rack spaces. Times are a changin'.

Huh!, my condo definitely does not have enough bicycle parking spots. There's a lot of empty car spots though. What I find infuriating is that in some bike spots, it's a tire, or a bike that's been there for years (based on the layers of dust)[*]. Fortunately, the condo has been doing annual sweeps and trying to remove the ones that don't get claimed.

[*] Maybe I'm being selfish, but I don't think people should be using the spots as permanent storage for their bikes - but that's mostly because my building doesn't have that many. If we had 1:1 or greater ratio of bike parking spots to units, I'd be ok.

Lot of the denser infill development are lucky to have parking at 1 to every 6 units. It's too expensive to carve an even deeper underground.

When I turned 16, I got my driver's license right away. I couldn't wait to get a car, and it was my dream from about 16 to 24. It kept not being practical to do so, and I would put it off a year.

Around 24 or 25, I began to look at it another way: eventually I will need a car, but I have saved so much money not having one that I would rather keep saving than incur the expense. Living downtown (first Ottawa, then Toronto), it has been easy to keep putting it off to next year. When I need one for work, I rent. Now I'm into my 30s and have still never owned a car.

While I do anticipate a car in my future (probably whenever I have children), I've gone through a significant portion of my adult life without one. Many of my younger professional colleagues are in the same boat.

This post is completely anecdotal, but based on my experience, if there is a sizeable demographic of people living similarly, then it no longer surprises me that 1 parking space per 3 units would be perfectly adequate at locations downtown and/or with higher order transit.

There must be a formula they use. I wouldn't be caught dead on a bicycle, but I think there are a lot of people who don't cycle now who eventually will. If this is true, it makes sense to anticipate an increase in the numbers and plan accordingly. A few extra bike spaces don't take much more space anyway.

Close @innsertnamehere. It's Chapter 230 of 569-2013 that outlines Bicycle Parking Space Regulations. Within that, Table 230.5.10.1(1) gives the rates by use: http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw_amendments/pdf/Bicycle_Table230_25_10.pdf

Enjoy!

Now we just need some waterfront transit to go with the density.
Dont worry, as per usual in this city all the density will be built up first and once all the projects are completed, there will still not be any new transit to provide relief in the area.

I'm sure there will be a Waterfront Reset #2 Study once the current Reset study has been completed. Either that, or the city will build a moving escalator from this site all the way to Union Station and call it "transit".

While I do anticipate a car in my future (probably whenever I have children), I've gone through a significant portion of my adult life without one. Many of my younger professional colleagues are in the same boat.

Two kids and living downtown. Still don't own a car. We use Zipcar for the occasional car trip mainly to the suburbs.

Anecdotal but I think a true indication of the decline in cars downtown. When I first moved into my building almost 20 years ago parking spaces were rented out to others living in the building for $150-$160 a month. Today people ask $125 a month.

Last edited:
Kind of amazing that between this and 1-7 Yonge next door, we have proposals for 8,154 units in the pipeline for this area. Now we just need some waterfront transit to go with the density.

I think most will just walk in the temperature controlled environment.

Back