Toronto 1 Eglinton Square | 158.8m | 46s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle

I frequent that Bay. It's not too busy but, you always have to line up. I believe the next closest Bay in the East End is way up at Scarborough Town Centre. The mall is where all the seniors throughout the community congregate. They probably don't buy alot but, they aren't demo-ing the mall either.

I frequent that Bay. It's not too busy but, you always have to line up. I believe the next closest Bay in the East End is way up at Scarborough Town Centre. The mall is where all the seniors throughout the community congregate. They probably don't buy alot but, they aren't demo-ing the mall either.
...and this is why my mother-in-law likes it.

Oh... one of these?

I have never set foot in that mall. I'm rarely in that part of town, but when I have been, it has never looked remotely inviting to me. Step through those doors and you're transported to 1970s suburban dream America for all I know. I imagine that this makeover will make much more of a virtue of the place.

I haven't been there *that* lately; but from what I recall it was semi-latterly more of a "when Scarborough was white" throwback--certainly the antithesis of the high-tech ghetto rebuild of Golden Mile. So your "1970s suburban dream America" judgment not only isn't far off the mark, it can even be spun as a positive--sort of in the same sense as Cloverdale (likewise a classic senior-gathering spot), or anyplace else in still-whitebread Southern Ontario which has been spared the big-box rebuild. (Quinte Mall in Belleville, complete with its last remaining Sam's, comes to mind.)

1 EGLINTON SQ
Ward 35 - Scarborough District

►View All Properties

Official plan amendment comprised of five development blocks for a mixed use community. Includes land known as 1-70 Eglinton Square, 1431 & 1437 Victoria Park Avenue, 14,18,19-23 & 26 Engelhart Crescent and 64, 68 Harris Park Drive. Stacked townhomes and five mixed use towers ranging from 25 to 40 storeys.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 17 242390 ESC 35 OZ Oct 3, 2017 Under Review

Some new renders I haven't seen posted before:
upload_2017-10-18_18-20-12.png

upload_2017-10-18_18-20-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-18_18-20-12.png
    upload_2017-10-18_18-20-12.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 784
  • upload_2017-10-18_18-20-23.png
    upload_2017-10-18_18-20-23.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 832
Good. Proximity to Eglinton on Victoria Park means proximity to rapid transit. Plus it is a good transition from the 30 and 25 storeys from Block C.

All the extra parking sites should be developed in dense buildings along the Eglinton corridor.

I haven't been there *that* lately; but from what I recall it was semi-latterly more of a "when Scarborough was white" throwback--certainly the antithesis of the high-tech ghetto rebuild of Golden Mile. So your "1970s suburban dream America" judgment not only isn't far off the mark, it can even be spun as a positive--sort of in the same sense as Cloverdale (likewise a classic senior-gathering spot), or anyplace else in still-whitebread Southern Ontario which has been spared the big-box rebuild. (Quinte Mall in Belleville, complete with its last remaining Sam's, comes to mind.)
God the pretentiousness of some on this forum. At least you both admit that you have either never been there or not "that" lately. No wonder Ford got elected. I grew up in this area in the "1970s suburban dream" as you call it. There was plenty of ethnicity and still is. Most of those "old" people are the parents and grandparents of those who disparage them down for staying put in a neighborhood where they first settled in Canada. The Golden Mile was destroyed in the late 80's or 90's BTW. As for the mall, it was fine in its day as a hub for the area...and the update will allow it to continue. Get over your "white" put downs...Scarborough has been ethnic for a very long time.

God the pretentiousness of some on this forum. At least you both admit that you have either never been there or not "that" lately. No wonder Ford got elected. I grew up in this area in the "1970s suburban dream" as you call it. There was plenty of ethnicity and still is. Most of those "old" people are the parents and grandparents of those who disparage them down for staying put in a neighborhood where they first settled in Canada. The Golden Mile was destroyed in the late 80's or 90's BTW. As for the mall, it was fine in its day as a hub for the area...and the update will allow it to continue. Get over your "white" put downs...Scarborough has been ethnic for a very long time.

I know--and I acknowledged--that the Golden Mile was torn down; "rebuild" is just another way of putting it (and hey; the replacement retained the name). And I'm also not denying that "ethnicity" in Scarborough goes back a way; I'm just stating that regardless of who's patronized it over the years, Eglinton Square maintained a homespun throwback "whiteness" (or, should we put it, "Cold War monoculture-ness" Or is that too "pretentious" for you?) for longer than your average Scarborough retail hub. And what's the matter with being misty-eyed about that? Just because we *reflect* on it doesn't mean we want to *freeze-dry* it. (And even if Scarborough was already "ethnifying" in the 70s, the mass cultural barometer was still, shall we say, "white-centric"--there's a reason why it all begat Wayne's World, after all.)

Frankly, the way you're going about it, you might as well be attacking the "pretentiousness" of those who decry the teardown-rebuilds and hack EIFS stucco jobs on many a 50s Scarborough bungalow or CMHC matchbox, and who might actually be sympathetically interested in the postwar-boomburb genesis of, say, the Clairlea neighbourhood behind Eg Square. Because it certainly sounds like even though you grew up in the area, you didn't develop the "tools" to come by that approach--and if you're using the pro-Ford silent-majority alibi, well, hey, a philistine is a philistine, what can I do...

I know--and I acknowledged--that the Golden Mile was torn down; "rebuild" is just another way of putting it (and hey; the replacement retained the name). And I'm also not denying that "ethnicity" in Scarborough goes back a way; I'm just stating that regardless of who's patronized it over the years, Eglinton Square maintained a homespun throwback "whiteness" (or, should we put it, "Cold War monoculture-ness" Or is that too "pretentious" for you?) for longer than your average Scarborough retail hub. And what's the matter with being misty-eyed about that? Just because we *reflect* on it doesn't mean we want to *freeze-dry* it. (And even if Scarborough was already "ethnifying" in the 70s, the mass cultural barometer was still, shall we say, "white-centric"--there's a reason why it all begat Wayne's World, after all.)

Frankly, the way you're going about it, you might as well be attacking the "pretentiousness" of those who decry the teardown-rebuilds and hack EIFS stucco jobs on many a 50s Scarborough bungalow or CMHC matchbox, and who might actually be sympathetically interested in the postwar-boomburb genesis of, say, the Clairlea neighbourhood behind Eg Square. Because it certainly sounds like even though you grew up in the area, you didn't develop the "tools" to come by that approach--and if you're using the pro-Ford silent-majority alibi, well, hey, a philistine is a philistine, what can I do...
The fact that you have to use the word 'white" at all along with a pretentious 'whitebread" to describe mall undergoing an update... yeah I'm pretty much on the mark.

Back