Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

that's not seriously real is it ???
well, we would have Vancouver beat with their proposed 200 sq ft units ... lol

You guys obviously missed this one. Now, that's small. I especially like the "TURN AROUND" area.

Twig.jpg

Last edited:
you would think with such little space you would go with a shower instead of a full on tub... guess people love their bubble baths

I lived for a while with 3 other people in a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom. It wasn't that terrible. Pretty cozy, actually! Everyone just had a majority of their clothes in boxes that were stacked in a corner of the living room. It sort of worked.

Visit the 75 Nicholas Residences thread. Page 24 post #354 has floor plans for a unit in that building that is under 400sq ft!!!! It will help to give you an idea of how people could live in your garage. LOL

I wonder where these poor people put their winter clothes in the summer?? Actually, where do they put there clothes period??
Is a <400 sqft studio really such a novelty? Currently I am living in a 335 sqft studio in Boston, and I don't seem to have any problem putting my clothes, winter or otherwise. Studios of this size aren't all that uncommon in most big cities.

And if you want to see how to make two-bedroom condos with the same area:
img.aspx

Each of the units (denoted by an arrow and letter) are 330 sqft. It's a 30-yr old building in the suburbs in HK, with units currently selling for >$100K CAD.

Re: Small Condo Units

With the average $psf creeping upward this trend of smaller living spaces is unlikely to go away. Essentially it's the only way the middle class and/or first-time buyers can afford to get into the market in an increasingly global city with high land values. If you want more space there are condo options outside the city core or you can always move to a ground oriented unit out in the ‘burbs.

Developers create these floor-plans to feed the demand from a large segment of buyers out there that can't really afford accommodation over $400,000. People seem to be having a good laugh over some of these units, but with the $psf being where it's at (and likely to continue slowly going upwards) what is the alternative? If the units created were all at least 700 square feet at $550psf the cheapest units out there would be nearly $400k which would exclude a lot of people from the housing market. The first-time buyers and investors focused on rental properties are driving the 'manhattanization' of Toronto with the near decade long boom - if developers didn't target this large segment of the market we'd have far fewer buildings going up, far less economic activity & tax revenue generated from the industry and an even larger affordability problem with so many more people excluded from home ownership.... unfortunately that's where the trend lines seem to be going in the long-term - one of the best things this city has going for it compared to a lot of other large global cities is that we do have a somewhat affordable supply of housing available to the middle class - it would be unfortunate if this were to change.

Though I think it is amusing to poke fun at the size of some of the units, I have no problem with small units and think it is an economic fact of life, as Mike states. I also think that cities that historically have small or expensive housing (New York, Hong Kong) have as a result a more vibrant streetlife and more people in restaurants, so I think there is a kind of public good that results from these small units.

I myself would probably find it difficult to live in a unit that size. So I don't buy one.

if people can only afford to purchase something so tiny, why don't they just rent and get a larger place for the same price? Having said that, I've enjoyed living in small spaces, but those were rentals in my student days.

Back