Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Yes, That area is what I would call the 'West Core' -- University to Spadina (the western limit is debatable) between the rail line and Queen. There is a lot of development potential there, although so far the proposed and U/C high-rise projects seem to be mostly residential / hotel (with the obvious exception).

There's a few other parking lots available not mentioned. The one where Ritz Carleton's presentation centre is located (Front & simcoe). Also there's still the lot in front of the sky dome. And between University, Queen, King, and John St, there's a lot of old buildings and parking lots.

Yes that would be the outer core ... not that I disagree with you, and that area is still extremely well served by transit. The outer core has quite a few parking lots left - not so much in the inner outer core :) ... but there exist potential for expansion, in the outer core there are lots of parking lots.

But again, that land isn't considered quite as prime ... the DRL might change that though.

Overall, downtown still has a lot of room to grow ... but careful, and remember to bound downtown otherwise it's not a very fair statement.

sorry, i don't know if i missed it in the threads but what are the 'core downtown' boundaries again?

i don't recall seeing any mention of the parking lot just north of the Toronto Star building and all the areas east of there bound by Lakeshore Road and Queens Quay East which are mostly parking lots or industrial 2 storeys.

ps - i forgot there are many buildings not designated as heritage on Yonge St that could be re-developed; and even some that are heritage could go along this route too 606 Yonge

Last edited:
sorry, i don't know if i missed it in the threads but what are the 'core downtown' boundaries again?

i don't recall seeing any mention of the parking lot just north of the Toronto Star building and all the areas east of there bound by Lakeshore Road and Queens Quay East which are mostly parking lots or industrial 2 storeys.

Lest we forget The Toronto Star building at 1 Yonge Street :D

Plus several parking lots on the north side of Queens Quay, east and west of Yonge.

ps - i forgot there are many buildings not designated as heritage on Yonge St that could be re-developed; and even some that are heritage could go along this route too 606 Yonge

Yesssss!

There are plenty of opportunities in downtown east, between Yonge & Jarvis, Bloor to the lake and a few lots on the west side between Yonge & University

There's lots of empty space with great development potential.

I don't think it will be the land availability that dictates the price. It will be what the builders will be asking for the prices of newer buildings. I don't see prices coming down but only increasing. The government wants to increase development fees and will ask builders to donate money to build things for the city in order to get a permit. Also with rising costs in material, gas and labour, I just don't see prices coming down for pre-construction. If people can't afford to buy the builder's asking prices, they won't build.

I think some of the posters who say there's lack of land, they mean around union station area. There's only a few parcels left. I guess it's for those who want to live around the main transit hub.

I think that everybody has their own definitions, but this is what I consider the boundaries (I am only including those boundaries that I am fairly confident about).

Central Core: the area between the main rail line and Queen and between Yonge and Simcoe

South Core: the area between the main rail line and the waterfront and between Yonge and Lower Simcoe

West Core: the area between the main rail line and Queen and between Simcoe and Spadina (or possibly a few blocks west of Spadina)

North Core: the area between Queen and Gerrard and between Yonge and Simcoe

West-Central Lakefront: the area between the main rail line and the waterfront and between Lower Simcoe and Strachan (I consider Cityplace and Fort York Neighbourhood to (eventually) be one contiguous built-up area)

I don't think it will be the land availability that dictates the price. It will be what the builders will be asking for the prices of newer buildings. I don't see prices coming down but only increasing. The government wants to increase development fees and will ask builders to donate money to build things for the city in order to get a permit. Also with rising costs in material, gas and labour, I just don't see prices coming down for pre-construction. If people can't afford to buy the builder's asking prices, they won't build.

Land typically takes up about 15% of high-rise budgets - so it certainly is a key component driving prices. Land availability has been reduced substantially over the recent boom cycle - remember just because a site is a parking lot or under-utilized - that doesn't mean the parcel is for sale and available to development proponents.

Another item driving costs upward are various government impositions. A good recent example with the two TYSSE subway station design and budgets being unveiled was that the Toronto Green Standard was cited as a key reason for budget escalations – this new standard impacts new condos as well. There are a number of other legislative and regulatory items such as very stringent proposed new brownfields regs (virtually every site in downtown toronto would qualify as a brownfield under the proposal), HST, potential inclusionary zoning regs and the next round of building code updates that will come into effect over the next few years that will assist to continue to drive prices upwards.

In a perfect world, your property will be worth 50-70% more. I dont know if thats going to happen nowadays.

All the signs are there .. Low interest rates, Immigration, No Supply, units in phase 1 are over 600 a foot phase 2 will release this fall well over 600 a foot might be 800 at the top floors. If any block in the city has the potential to double in value its this one

I strongly believe this area will be untouchable in a couple years. There will be no supply and what's for sale will be very pricey nothing compared to todays market

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly believe this area will be untouchable in a couple years. There will be no supply and what's for sale will be very pricey nothing compared to todays market
Ah yes... rail road tracks on one side of you, a major highway on the other... who wouldn't want to be sandwiched in between such elegance.

Ah yes... rail road tracks on one side of you, a major highway on the other... who wouldn't want to be sandwiched in between such elegance.

The 600mil reno of union will include prime retail commercial etc.. The public space at the acc, 5 star dining, killer sportsbar, rooftop pool, sauna, lounge, private massage rooms, room service, maid service, hmmm walk through the new underground tunnel to Toronto Island. Path to the financial district.. Elegance at its best!

There is so much more to mention. The gardiner will be a Blvd in a few years and the tracks will blend into the city with the union renos

Last edited by a moderator:

Back