Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

It amazes me that real estate agents (who clearly know all about this) continue to assist prospective clients to rent, or even worse, buy, in this building. These situations have gone on practically since Ice opened.

It amazes me that real estate agents (who clearly know all about this) continue to assist prospective clients to rent, or even worse, buy, in this building. These situations have gone on practically since Ice opened.
It amazes me that people cant do simple research before renting in this apparent hell hole of a builidng. I mean literally, just a simple 10 second Google search will present prospective owners with a list of all the complaints against this building. If less people rented here, the property management would be more inclined to do something about the problem.

But since people continue to flock over and property management here already seems like they couldnt care less what happens, the problems will just continue.

It amazes me that people cant do simple research before renting in this apparent hell hole of a builidng. I mean literally, just a simple 10 second Google search will present prospective owners with a list of all the complaints against this building. If less people rented here, the property management would be more inclined to do something about the problem.

But since people continue to flock over and property management here already seems like they couldnt care less what happens, the problems will just continue.
It certainly does surprise me that people don’t know about this building on their own, or care to research, but I still blame the agents. Many renters in this building will likely be young people who never lived in Toronto, and are caught up in the fact that it has CN tower views. The agents on the other hand should know better, and I don’t see how they can peddle this building to clients in good conscience.

It certainly does surprise me that people don’t know about this building on their own, or care to research, but I still blame the agents. Many renters in this building will likely be young people who never lived in Toronto, and are caught up in the fact that it has CN tower views. The agents on the other hand should know better, and I don’t see how they can peddle this building to clients in good conscience.
I imagine many renters are finding this building through private listings like FB Marketplace over MLS...

I used to think people were grossly overreacting while predicting 10 years ago that this area could be another St. James Town in the making. Beginning to think they were far too optimistic with their prognosis.
I’m sure the thought then was that massing with little to do at ground level would become problematic and drive down rental rates, and then all the “poor people” with their “poor people problems” would come (being facetious here btw) - the twist of course is that rich folks renting to folks with money to treat the area like the toilets in a night club ended up being the real issue.

Me thinks at a minimum only residents at a condo can serve on the board, and non-resident owners/their proxies cannot vote at board elections would go a LONG way.

AoD
Actually ANYONE over 18 who is not insane can serve as a condo director in Ontario, you do not need to live in one or own one in that - or any - condo corporation. Our condo recently restricted being a director to those who own a Unit, though we had actually not ever had any non-owner directors since the very first Board (where it is common to have lawyers and real estate professionals serving for a year or so as the building gets registered etc.). Not sure it would be fair to remove the vote from non-resident owners but one could probably change a by-law to have one director elected by only non-resident owners and the others all elected by resident owners only.

"Building owners" are forcing the narrative that everything's peachy: https://tscc2510.ca/news/residentexperience

finee.jpg

Source

Actually ANYONE over 18 who is not insane can serve as a condo director in Ontario, you do not need to live in one or own one in that - or any - condo corporation. Our condo recently restricted being a director to those who own a Unit, though we had actually not ever had any non-owner directors since the very first Board (where it is common to have lawyers and real estate professionals serving for a year or so as the building gets registered etc.). Not sure it would be fair to remove the vote from non-resident owners but one could probably change a by-law to have one director elected by only non-resident owners and the others all elected by resident owners only.
Honestly, Ontario's rules when it comes to condo and co-op management are so weak and pathetic, it's literally the wild wild west. There are so many boards that dont follow the rules in both the co-operative corporations act and condominiums act, and there are basically no repercussions for it.

Residents everywhere have been getting shafted by Board of Directors for decades, and this province under numerous governments has done absolutely jack about it. Frankly it's disgusting.

Honestly, Ontario's rules when it comes to condo and co-op management are so weak and pathetic, it's literally the wild wild west. There are so many boards that dont follow the rules in both the co-operative corporations act and condominiums act, and there are basically no repercussions for it.

Residents everywhere have been getting shafted by Board of Directors for decades, and this province under numerous governments has done absolutely jack about it. Frankly it's disgusting.
You may be right but if a condo owner does not think his/her Board is following the rules they need to contact the Condominium Authority of Ontario! See: https://www.condoauthorityontario.ca/ Owners can't just sit there and watch chaos they need to DO SOMETHING.

We're pretty much on the same page here @DSC. The problem is: if the owner (or property management company) is profiting/benefiting from whatever the composition of the Board of Directors is, and if that very Board is not following the rules, they have 0 incentive to contact the CAO (or Co-operative Housing Federation for Co-Ops which pretty much has very little teeth) and they'll just sit back with absolutely no involvement.

This is why the government needs to streghten the rules, because there are literally hundreds of abysmal condo owners and property management firms in this city, and they can just get away with doing absolutely nothing while rules are continuously broken.

Back