Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Flashing being applied to roof rings

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, Cadillac Fairview posted 2 massive wall posters on the walls of ÏCE2, next to the impark lot with 16 York on it! - It's taken a while! I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Saw that Reddit item this morning. Quite the litany of complaints. What a shame. Yet another warning for potential investors to stay away from such under-serviced towers.

Last edited:
Saw that Reddit item this morning. Quite the litany of complaints. What a shame. Yet another warning for potential investors to stay away from such under-serviced towers.
It's precisely this sort of thing that is turning me away from investing in a condo eventually and, as a result, eventually leaving the city for greener pastures. Sure, other factors are in play. But this sort of stuff just turns me right off.

Edit: "...that is turning me away from investing in a condo eventually and, as a result, motivating me to eventually leave the city..."

That's two edits in two posts. Damn not catching verbs that modify phrases too widely.

Last edited:
Having seen quite a few of the newly built condos, my impression is that the defects outlined in the article are quite common in the first few years.
During this period the deficiencies are identified and management attempts to get the builder to rectify them. The Board of Directors is fresh and often inexperienced.
The management company is still figuring out the real budgets and requirements of the condo.
If things don't turn up after 3-4 years, there might be a deeper seeded issue.

I lived here for a year after bolting 2 months before my lease was up. There was at least 1 fire alarm problem every two weeks for the 10 months I was there. Imagine having an exam at 9am and after a long night of cramming you finally try to get some sleep, only to be awake by loud fire alarms and security communications over the intercom at 4am in the morning. This usually lasted 30min to an hour.

Then there was a flood which caused the gym in Ice 2 to be closed for 6 months after it was only open for 2 months. We would have to use Ice 1s gym but with no way to get between the buildings without having to go outside in workout clothes in -25 degree weather. Management had the worst elevator scheduling methods. The security people were great but they would often have to take the blame for managements stupid policies. I recently found out they replaced security companies shortly after I left.. but management is still the same.

There is no retail on the ground level.. and il bet you anything PATH connection won't be completed until 2019 earliest.

Having seen quite a few of the newly built condos, my impression is that the defects outlined in the article are quite common in the first few years.
During this period the deficiencies are identified and management attempts to get the builder to rectify them. The Board of Directors is fresh and often inexperienced.
The management company is still figuring out the real budgets and requirements of the condo.
If things don't turn up after 3-4 years, there might be a deeper seeded issue.

I think many condo dwellers are familiar with these issues, even after the first couple of years. Every few weeks it seems at least one of our elevators isn't working for awhile. The gym, pool closes for renos and cleaning quite frequently, machines are not repaired for weeks on end, thus I have to go outside to a neighbouring building to use their facilities. Fire alarm testing and false alarms happen a lot- sometimes in the early hours. I've pretty much accepted it as the price for convenience in other areas- the toll and price of commuting, and the cost and money pit of a suburban home which I see friends really struggle with. All comes down to how good management is in fixing things I suppose, but the complaints on reddit are commonplace.

These are not uncommon problems, even years after turnover from the builder to the condo corp takes place. Dealing with deficiencies takes more than just competent management -- progress really depends on how cooperative a developer is in addressing performance audit issues (of which there are always MANY).

I lived here for a year after bolting 2 months before my lease was up. There was at least 1 fire alarm problem every two weeks for the 10 months I was there. Imagine having an exam at 9am and after a long night of cramming you finally try to get some sleep, only to be awake by loud fire alarms and security communications over the intercom at 4am in the morning. This usually lasted 30min to an hour.

Then there was a flood which caused the gym in Ice 2 to be closed for 6 months after it was only open for 2 months. We would have to use Ice 1s gym but with no way to get between the buildings without having to go outside in workout clothes in -25 degree weather. Management had the worst elevator scheduling methods. The security people were great but they would often have to take the blame for managements stupid policies. I recently found out they replaced security companies shortly after I left.. but management is still the same.

There is no retail on the ground level.. and il bet you anything PATH connection won't be completed until 2019 earliest.

The Path connection will likley come through the impending office tower so it won't happen until that is well underway.
The condo developers made their money - they dont care about quality. Ive been in quite a few of the new towers. The elevator issue will always be there because, like NASA, they always use the lowest bidder to complete the work (and the specs arent asking for high end elvators to begin with).

As an aside, the two towers in Mississauga (Marilyn and World) both have incredible elevators. Huge touch screen panels and you hardly know they are moving or stopping - a real pleasure. Don't know why they are better - can't reallly speculate - , just an observation

Back