Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

It's kind of a hybrid between the suburban mindset and lifestyle, but with a dense vertical execution. Maybe I'm prejudiced because the area is too new and dominated by the same shitty chain retail and restaurants with all the charm of Mississauga, but it's definitely the place that most of my suburban friends get most excited about when discussing going downtown or moving to the "big city".

Don't get me wrong though, it's still 1000x better than the standard sprawling 905 neighbourhood. I just find the area lacks cohesion and appeals to people who get excited by a new menu item at Jack Astor's.

It's kind of a hybrid between the suburban mindset and lifestyle, but with a dense vertical execution. Maybe I'm prejudiced because the area is too new and dominated by the same shitty chain retail and restaurants with all the charm of Mississauga, but it's definitely the place that most of my suburban friends get most excited about when discussing going downtown or moving to the "big city".

Don't get me wrong though, it's still 1000x better than the standard sprawling 905 neighbourhood. I just find the area lacks cohesion and appeals to people who get excited by a new menu item at Jack Astor's.

Its funny you say that though, there is not 1 chain restaurant on this portion of York street ..
But in terms of the feel I agree ! I think that's OK, we have many other neighborhoods in Toronto, it's okay to have something along these lines.

New neighbourhoods take awhile to develop character. I don't think that Southcore will ever be charming, but I don't think it needs to be either. It's all business and entertainment.

p.s. I don't think this area looks like anything in the 905. It is 'big city'.

It's not all business and entertainment. There are thousands of people that live in the area too, and it has all the basics that make it a liveable/walkable neighbourhood....grocery stores, doctor/dentist offices, pharmacies, restaurants, liquor stores, etc... What it currently lacks is some of the charm and originality of Toronto's older established neighbourhoods. It will be interesting to see if/how some of that develops as the neighbourhood matures and some of the harbourfront renovations are completed.

I agree that the one good thing about Infinity is its retail.. its architecture is horrible but its urbanism is surprisingly good.

Grocery stores, doctor/dentist offices, pharmacies, restaurants, liquor stores, etc are indeed businesses. I understand people live there too; I'm not dumb nor was I making any real criticism other than it may not be charming. But, once more, it doesn't have to be. Seems like you actually agree.

Last edited:
Grocery stores, doctor/dentist offices, pharmacies, restaurants, liquor stores, etc are indeed businesses. I understand people live there too; I'm not dumb nor was I making any real criticism other than it may not be charming. But, once more, it doesn't have to be. Seems like you actually agree.

I was not directly criticising you or anyone else, just the general assertion over the past page or two that harbourfront/southcore is a destination and not a real neighbourhood, and yes, I agree with much in your post. The cross section of Toronto's neighbourhoods is quite diverse, especially if we extend our views outside of old Toronto to encompass the whole city. Harbourfront fits in to that fabric as well as any other neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I was not directly criticising you or anyone else, just the general assertion over the past page or two that harbourfront/southcore is a destination and not a real neighbourhood, and yes, I agree with much in your post. The cross section of Toronto's neighbourhoods is quite diverse, especially if we extend our views outside of old Toronto to encompass the whole city. Harbourfront fits in to that fabric as well as any other neighbourhood.

Fake neighborhood. Transient residents. Vegas-quality buildings. The office buildings are much better looking and make far more sense for the area. I'll take it over the wasteland that was there but this is not something Toronto should be proud of as far as development goes. The whole residential scene down here in this wedge between Front and the Gardiner is a by product of the investor visa program that has now been extinguished by the federal government.

Fake neighborhood. Transient residents. Vegas-quality buildings. The office buildings are much better looking and make far more sense for the area. I'll take it over the wasteland that was there but this is not something Toronto should be proud of as far as development goes. The whole residential scene down here in this wedge between Front and the Gardiner is a by product of the investor visa program that has now been extinguished by the federal government.

Sorry, but that's a load of BS. The "transient" population of the area is no bigger than in any new condo development in the core and there are plenty of people that have been living in the vicinity since the 1980s. It may not be pretty, but neither are a lot of other neighbourhoods in this city.

I've been living in Southcore for almost 5 years now, and look forward to another 5 (maybe more?) before I move on to a house. I think it's an excellent place to live and cannot be compared to any other area in Toronto because it is so unique, situated between so much office, tourist/event space, the harbourfront, Roundhouse, Union Station/UP Express and the PATH. It also is great for highway access, close to Porter and a stones throw from the action on King West. If you are someone that goes out a lot to various parts of the city the location is about as good as it gets.

Architecture is hit and miss but what neighbourhood in Toronto is perfect (sorry to sound like Ford)? Overall I think the work/live/play dynamic works well and look forward to seeing the last developments complete.

well I love to live in busy areas and as long as an area is busy I love it and southcore seems like a busy area.

I always thought Bremner had the potential to be a 'main street' for the area, it just wasn't executed very well.

I guess 8 years makes me transient? And both my neighbours who've been here 15 and 18 years? Are they transient too?

Been where for 18 years, exactly? 8 yrs ago the area was mud and gravel.

You may be an outlier but the area is full of temp residents. That's a fact.

So is the Annex, so what?

None of us are around forever, and if you spend 5-10 years in a neighbourhood that hardly makes you a transient.

Age 25-35 CityPlace
Age 35-45 Small townhouse
Age 45-65 Larger house
Age 65-80 downsize condo, apt
Age 80 - shuffle off into oblivions through a series of retirement homes, hospitals
Grave.

So we're transients!

Back