Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Nice to see so many cool projects coming on line... with some architectural flare... Ritz, Shangri la, L Tower... now these. It's important that Toronto's built form starts reflecting what an amazingly groovy, cool, rad, dope city we Torontonians inhabit and mold. New buildings should be at least as handsome as we all are, eh Cal?

Nice to see so many cool projects coming on line... with some architectural flare... Ritz, Shangri la, L Tower... now these. It's important that Toronto's built form starts reflecting what an amazingly groovy, cool, rad, dope city we Torontonians inhabit and mold. New buildings should be at least as handsome as we all are, eh Cal?

True Enough. (not that I'm that hot,.... I'm just your average Trini-Canadian guy...)

BTW: 3D when my house in Trinidad gets built, do you wanna come down and lime in the tropics? You only pay the airfare, everything else is on me.

and....

(There will be plenty of girls just like my friend (the one you like) down there, and probably a lot hotter)

_____

I wonder if these Dubai style buildings will make all the carping on this forum go away.

Re: Trinidad

It's a deal. Once I have the patio up and running at the new apartment in the beach (early June), I get the blender out and we can discuss in detail.

Also, my best friend has an incredible place right on the Pacific Ocean north of San Diego where I tend to spend Jan/Feb.... you would be more than welcome so between Trinidad and San Diego, we'll be the happiest Toronto residents in the city.

I realize this discussion should be done as a PM, however I wanted to ensure the jealousy quotient is as high as possible from our fellow forumers.

I realize this discussion should be done as a PM, however I wanted to ensure the jealousy quotient is as high as possible from our fellow forumers.

Not jealous at all. I like to spend my winters surrounded by snow and mountains and a snowboard on my feet (and summers too, Chile and New Zealand). California would be okay, can go to Tahoe!!

Back on topic, these buildings look great. It would definitely be a relief from the green glass and precast buildings on either side of the Gardiner in the area. I hope the area under the "cheese" is open to the public (could have been discussed before).

Wow, that's impressive. They should really help to detract from the lousy condos in the area.

My bad. Hopefully the mods can delete my other post. *walks in shame*

As mentioned...

Project is called - Ice Condo's at York Centre.

2 High-rise condo's at 65 and 55 stories. 1 31 storey 800,000 sq ft office building. Design by Peter Clewes. LEED certified. Designed in a Scandanavian Designed theme with perhaps the largest green roof ever developed in Toronto.

These are beautiful. This is what Toronto needs. I don't like a lot of new zany starchitecture, but I also get bored easily. These are what I'd call a perfect balance of unique and not over-the-top.

Forgive my ignorance, because (for some reason) I haven't followed this thread closely. Are these the towers at 18 York? With the three tower 16 York still planned?

egotrippin: You are not ignorant. Like a moron, I had posted the information in the wrong thread (18 York St.).

The first phase of "ICE" is expected to be introduced in early Summer 2008, so it's safe to say that it has been approved.

Units range from 400 sq foot studios to 1,100 sq foot 3-bedroom units.

egotrippin: You are not ignorant. Like a moron, I had posted the information in the wrong thread (18 York St.).

The first phase of "ICE" is expected to be introduced in early Summer 2008, so it's safe to say that it has been approved.

Units range from 400 sq foot studios to 1,100 sq foot 3-bedroom units.

Right right. Well in that case, this is going to be one hell of a corner. The three tower 16 York project looks pretty nice, and the 18 York towers are even better.

My excitement for future developments has greatly increased (and I was already excited)

Oh well, chastise me if you will, but these do not do it for me. Yes they are tall, and possibly appropriately scaled for the area, however they look like pretty much like every other office tower going up in Asia at the moment -tack on a few balconies and "wow", you just converted that generic asian office tower into a Toronto condo.

I have to admit, that while Clewes is assisting in Toronto's changing architectural language, he is not doing anything exceptional, nor is he creating pieces that are innovative. But this in no way means that I am advocating further 'boot' inspirations from Libeskind, or other architecture notables, but I think it is just what it is, unimaginative.

Disagree with me, as you probably all will, but what makes his work really so innovative? Again, Infinity condos they are not, but I fail to see the creative genius in his work, that so many wish to suggest.

p5

Oh well, chastise me if you will, but these do not do it for me. Yes they are tall, and possibly appropriately scaled for the area, however they look like pretty much like every other office tower going up in Asia at the moment -tack on a few balconies and "wow", you just converted that generic asian office tower into a Toronto condo.

I have to admit, that while Clewes is assisting in Toronto's changing architectural language, he is not doing anything exceptional, nor is he creating pieces that are innovative. But this in no way means that I am advocating further 'boot' inspirations from Libeskind, or other architecture notables, but I think it is just what it is, unimaginative.

Disagree with me, as you probably all will, but what makes his work really so innovative? Again, Infinity condos they are not, but I fail to see the creative genius in his work, that so many wish to suggest.

p5

Good points for sure. I guess the excitement is that we don't have any fancy "Asia style" towers of our own, so it's new and exciting personally. What I like about these proposals though, is that they're not over-the-top like most of the towers going up in Asia. I find between 16 and 18 York, the proposed towers take the best aspects of that almost futuristic look without being ridiculous. I like our office towers for the most part, but it's nice to see something pushing the envelope beyond our current stock of primarily modernist towers.

Back