Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

The City of Toronto does have guidelines regarding the bird-friendliness for building development. You can read about them here. I recently sat on a Design Working Group for a new condo across from High Park and I can tell you that bird-friendliness was a significant consideration for the group and the design of the building was changed to minimize bird-strikes.

I'll assume that supercilious's post was facetious.

Design that takes into account the local* environment, flora or fauna, is not a waste of time nor resources.

*that includes migratory species

Last edited:
The City of Toronto does have guidelines regarding the bird-friendliness for building development. You can read about them here. I recently sat on a Design Working Group for a new condo across from High Park and I can tell you that bird-friendliness was a significant consideration for the group and the design of the building was changed to minimize bird-strikes.

I'll assume that supercilious's post was facetious.

Design that takes into account the local* environment, flora or fauna, is not a waste of time nor resources.

*that includes migratory species

But the question remains (to me at least): Is it fair to force developers and architects to incorporate bird safety decals/fritting at their own expense and to the detriment of the design (in some cases no doubt)
I am not debating whether or not these practices are a waste of time (for the record i think they aren't), I just think that it would add even more red tape to the already complex process.

But 'red tape' is an expression often used to talk about unimportant regulations. And the entire debate in question is whether the fate of migratory birds is important. So to argue that developers shouldn't be forced to consider this issue because of 'red tape' is a roundabout way of begging the question. To really argue for either side a reason needs to be given why the issue of migratory birds is or isn't important. If one takes the latter tack, then 'red tape' comments are fair.

Like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The issue should be sincerely addressed, but it shouldn't be of paramount importance. And I don't think any reasonable person concerned with this issue would suggest otherwise.

What makes birds so special?

Is it because some of them are pretty?

How many ground dwelling animals are killed when developers are excavating. How come nobody cares about the insects?

I, for one, think about that every time they start digging somewhere.. Unfortunately, protecting every living creature prior to onset of development is just not practicable. I believe awareness is wisdom, however this is a the reality we are faced with on our busy crowded and money driven world..

I just feel like there's an awful lot of time and effort put into bird preservation. If protecting every living creature isn't practical or practicable, why all of the hoopla about birds?

How many birds die naturally every day? Is the bird death to dollar cost of avoiding bird deaths worth actually changing anything? What is the cut-off?

I'm not advocating going out of your way to kill birds, but for people to be up in arms about it doesn't really equate with me.

Society in my opinion functions best precisely because some people care about birds and others do not. It is the balance of interests, the process that matters. Our city would be deprived, a lesser place, if no one cared about birds or everyone cared only about the birds.

I just feel like there's an awful lot of time and effort put into bird preservation. If protecting every living creature isn't practical or practicable, why all of the hoopla about birds?

How many birds die naturally every day? Is the bird death to dollar cost of avoiding bird deaths worth actually changing anything? What is the cut-off?

I'm not advocating going out of your way to kill birds, but for people to be up in arms about it doesn't really equate with me.

You should educate yourself about the extent of damage that large cities like Toronto cause to migratory bird populations. We are talking about millions of birds every year, from all over Ontario.

These birds are key to their local environments, which in turn are very important to keeping our agricultural fields sustainable with less use of pesticides, etc. In China where people went out of their way to kill birds (during the Great Leap Forward), they inadvertently caused a famine killing thousands upon thousands of people as pests became uncontrollable.

For every new post about birds in this thread, I'm going to go shoot one. We're at one with my post, so let's save the birds folks.

(Only birds that can be legally hunted, and I'll use every part for food of course, I'm not a monster.)

This form is for the birds.

Although I thought it was for condos.

Which actually brings up an interesting point about urban sprawl versus vertical cities.

I think by building vertical cities and avoiding urban sprawl we will save birds in the long run.
Instead of mid-rises or high-rises spread out all across southern Ontario, from one border to the other, like a great wall of buildings, it is way better to concentrate super tall structures in smaller areas. We cannot stop the population from increasing but we can create urban planning.

Another benefit to vertical cities is there will be less of a need to drive cars. Which will in turn reduce the pollution per capita produced by city dwellers.

But does this not belong in a separate forum? I came here looking for information on condominiums. Why not start a new furum under Toronto issues?

Perhaps it's time to switch the topic back to this condominium project.

From Harbourfront

8110656453_9d9ec5b919_b.jpg

Thank-you caltrane74. Nice photo.

The view from Canoe, last Friday:

8131381018_d2fd6a3a17_c.jpg

8131362379_01995608d7_c.jpg

crazy how sleek the west tower is now! though, i find it very odd looking from the north-west (around the Cn Tower), it looks very wide from the off angles, due to it not being a circle, nor a square, it's kinda a parallelogramcircleshapething

crazy how sleek the west tower is now! though, i find it very odd looking from the north-west (around the Cn Tower), it looks very wide from the off angles, due to it not being a circle, nor a square, it's kinda a parallelogramcircleshapething

It's a rounded parallelogram!

Back