Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Taken yesterday:

8103080581_b0962c3893_b.jpg

An update by myself, hot off the press, featuring the podium canopy supports.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

+ two bonus pics:

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

That's a hell of a view. It's going to be spectacular in a few years.

For all of you who underplayed the seriousness of Toronto's problem in relation to glass towers and migratory bird migrations when I last posted here last year, here's another article from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/world/americas/casualties-of-torontos-urban-skies.html

The reflective glass on ICE isn't even attractive...it just looks cheap and dated. Why don't we hold developers responsible for implementing attractive glass that incorporates bird-safe mechanisms?

I think the glass is quite attractive and not at all dated looking. As for the birds, it is a damn shame. But development is a give and take sort of thing. The earth excavated to build the foundations of bank buildings like the TD Centre (the subject of that article) was turned into the Leslie St Spit, which is home to hundreds of thousands of birds. As sad as it is that these birds are dying, I don't think designs should be altered with birds in mind. We already have enough red tape.

^^^ Interesting, there are at least 7 office buildings in that cluster in Southcore. A very impressive grouping - even if they are shrter than some would like.

For all of you who underplayed the seriousness of Toronto's problem in relation to glass towers and migratory bird migrations when I last posted here last year, here's another article from the New York Times:

The reflective glass on ICE isn't even attractive...it just looks cheap and dated. Why don't we hold developers responsible for implementing attractive glass that incorporates bird-safe mechanisms?

Do these birds present any risk to the glass? Im not so worried about the smaller migratory species, but if some big honking goose crashed into a pane it could cause damage. I didn't have a chance to read the NYT link - how did they propose we stop migrations? I don't think that is possible.

Do these birds present any risk to the glass? Im not so worried about the smaller migratory species, but if some big honking goose crashed into a pane it could cause damage. I didn't have a chance to read the NYT link - how did they propose we stop migrations? I don't think that is possible.

WTF? The threat isn't that birds will cause damage, rather that the buildings are a threat to the lives of migratory birds.

Wrong, I am NOT saying small birds are a threat to glass, but large ones clearly are - migratory or not!

Last edited:

Back