Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

The aforementioned look will definitely be abandoned for a much more aggressive, cutting-edge look to compliment the Scandinavian lines of the podium.

This sounds very interesting. I was never a big fan of the "swiss cheese" compared to the rest of the design so this seems promising to me!

This sounds very interesting. I was never a big fan of the "swiss cheese" compared to the rest of the design so this seems promising to me!

The podium had a similar Swiss cheese look going on... The fact that the new design will reflect the 'Scandinavian lines' of the podium (whatever that means), only hints at more Swiss cheese!

The podium had a similar Swiss cheese look going on... The fact that the new design will reflect the 'Scandinavian lines' of the podium (whatever that means), only hints at more Swiss cheese!

Hopefully it will be a better cut of cheese then!

MLS will lose their east views too once the parking lot beside 18 Yonge gets built.

Downtown views are all about buildings. I have zero sympathy for those concerned that buildings might pop up in their view when they are buying in an area like this. Not that I would want to face north from a lower floor at Ãce - that's really close - but having something built in the parking lot means beside 18 Yonge that MLS residents are going to lose their east view? I don't think so: that's their view - looking east at other buildings, including a the core. Lots of people would kill for a view like that. What a First World Problem! Yowza!

14 York Street sounds so bad when it's read in Chinese. 14 = definitely die. I thought they would choose 15 York to skip 13 and 14.

Even numbers are on the west side of north-south streets in Toronto, so no, they could not go for 15 instead of 14. The only way to get around that here would be to re-address this building to an odd number on Grand Trunk Crescent, where the cars will enter from on the west side of the complex.

And even to the north once the office component (16 York?) starts. Unless you are above the 40th floor or so of ICE II you're looking right into the office building.

But the residents of MLS have it even worse imo, who will see their w, s and s/w views obstructed by Menkes proposals, ICEs + office and Ten York.

As an area resident I too have come to accept the fact that there won't be much in terms of views when 11 buildings are under construction/proposed for the next several years.

The office component of York Centre (16 York Street) will extend well beyond the 40th level of the 67s condominium building (14 York Street) and based on an independent site survey, unobstructed views to the North will only be available above the 54th level due to the roof feature on the office tower.

14 York Street sounds so bad when it's read in Chinese. 14 = definitely die. I thought they would choose 15 York to skip 13 and 14.

15 York Street - Maple Leaf Square

Last edited by a moderator:
When exactly, and where, is the Gardiner going?

The City of Toronto has spent hundreds of thousands to explore several redevelopment options to bring the Gardner Expressway to grade level and the most recent proposal had a financial impact that exceeded $800 million, but the itemization of repairs from 2010 were approximately $41 million...

The City of Toronto has spent hundreds of thousands to explore several redevelopment options to bring the Gardner Expressway to grade level and the most recent proposal had a financial impact that exceeded $800 million, but the itemization of repairs from 2010 were approximately $41 million...

Ok, so which plan is the city moving forward with and when does it begin? Are you sure this will happen?

There's next to no chance that the Gardiner is coming down. Per your numbers above Optic, it would be far too expensive to remove ($800 Mil) and replace ($Unknown). And where do you detour the traffic to while you are taking it down? It's next to unfathomable that the Gardiner will be removed. The maintenance is relatively cheap compared to the other options.

We have many transportation issues in this city which are costing billions to tackle, any number of which will make a larger positive difference to the quality of life here than removing an elevated freeway will. Throwing more money at the Gardiner than to keep it operating smoothly would be a waste which would only stop us from getting more important things done.

The office component of York Centre (16 York Street) will extend well beyond the 40th level of the 67s condominium building (14 York Street) and based on an independent site survey, unobstructed views to the North will only be available above the 54th level due to the roof feature on the office tower.

Thanks for this information. Good to know when all the 'investors' start dumping their assignments in 2013/2014, I might move there.

Since you seem to be in the know, do you have any idea what is going on with 16 York? Are they looking for tenants, and once secured they will start? Do they need to wait for ICE 1/2 to be built further, or some other reason? Thanks

Downtown views are all about buildings.

Tell that to those with a view of Central Park in NYC. Anyhow, living downtown doesn't mean you have to face a building. It all depends where you're facing. You could be facing a park. Or if you're near the lake, you could face the lake. I doubt the Waterclub condos on QQ will ever got blocked unless they suddenly decide to stop construction of Canada Square which they're currently building and sell the land off to the highest builder.

I think that's the attraction of living on the waterfront. You can have the convenience of downtown, but have a view of the lake as well. Some want a building view and prefer to live right in the middle of the city. Some want some serenity but won't have to give up the convenience.

Ok, so which plan is the city moving forward with and when does it begin? Are you sure this will happen?

The proposal to bring the Gardner Expressway to grade level from Spadina Avenue through downtown has met a stalemate of sorts and the $800+ million budget would undeniably fall short of the potential cost of creating a boulevard style thoroughfare that would be successful to accommodate the volume.

Thanks for this information. Good to know when all the 'investors' start dumping their assignments in 2013/2014, I might move there.

Since you seem to be in the know, do you have any idea what is going on with 16 York? Are they looking for tenants, and once secured they will start? Do they need to wait for ICE 1/2 to be built further, or some other reason? Thanks

If the City of Toronto had not implemented strict zoning guidelines for Block 9, Lanterra Developments would have marketed 16 York Street as the third phase of Ice Condominiums instead of the commercial tower. When compared to the most recent public rendering, the office component of York Centre is currently undergoing some moderate adjustments; Design of the first two levels, density of the tower and minor elevation increase. There are several potential tenants that have shown interest and one restriction the city imposed concerning the office component, is that construction will commence prior to the completion of 12 and 14 York Street.

If the City of Toronto had not implemented strict zoning guidelines for Block 9, Lanterra Developments would have marketed 16 York Street as the third phase of Ice Condominiums instead of the commercial tower. When compared to the most recent public rendering, the office component of York Centre is currently undergoing some moderate adjustments; Design of the first two levels, density of the tower and minor elevation increase. There are several potential tenants that have shown interest and one restriction the city imposed concerning the office component, is that construction will commence prior to the completion of 12 and 14 York Street.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad several tenants have expressed interest. I did not know that the city suggested that the construction would need to start before completion of the Ice condo towers. With the city restriction combined with tenant interest, is it safe to assume that construction may start in the next two years? Regarding the changes to the office tower, will there be any change to the amount of space (i.e. ~ 750,000 sq ft.)? At most, what elevation (height) can we expect for this tower? Sorry if I'm asking too many specific questions. It should be obvious that I, like most others on this forum, are most ecstatic about new office towers in the downtown core! :) Thanks in advance.

Back