Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

In some ways the picture above calls to mind Boston and how the North End felt so cut off from the rest of downtown, giving rise to the 'big dig', and it makes me wonder whether development south of the QEW/railway lands will start to feel cut off in a similar way, and all the more so with further development (when there was nothing there, there was nothing to feel cut off?). I'm not a huge fan of what has been happening in the area and can't help but feel that some master planning should have been in place to deal with these lands, the QEW and the rail corridor, to guide development and what is essentially 'city building' and tie it in all nicely with the Waterfront. What has enfolded, however, is very disheartening, except I suppose for those who love tall buildings, but beyond that there really isn't much else on offer for people who enjoy urban spaces.

Building the core around a railway station is a typical development pattern all over the world, and is one to be celebrated not condemned.

True, but in a waterfront city, as opposed to cities on rivers, it does prove somewhat more problematic when the railway corridor disconnects the city from what is potentially one of its greatest assets. I don't think Toronto's situation was a lost cause but I do think that it should have been dealt with.

amazing height and density there but it just kills all the classic waterfront views. Maybe its just the rendering but I'm not getting that great of an overall impression - hopefully it will look better in real life.
It won't kill the waterfront views, it'll enhance the waterfront views. There's no reason at all that a bunch of towers that are a kilometre from the shore should dominate view from the water.

Won't kill the waterfront views, but I'm more upset about the view from the Gardiner. I love seeing the skyline when I drive in. Thankfully there'll still be a space over the ACC.

^You'll be in the middle of the skyline when you drive in. Much more impressive, IMO.

In some ways the picture above calls to mind Boston and how the North End felt so cut off from the rest of downtown, giving rise to the 'big dig', and it makes me wonder whether development south of the QEW/railway lands will start to feel cut off in a similar way, and all the more so with further development (when there was nothing there, there was nothing to feel cut off?). I'm not a huge fan of what has been happening in the area and can't help but feel that some master planning should have been in place to deal with these lands, the QEW and the rail corridor, to guide development and what is essentially 'city building' and tie it in all nicely with the Waterfront. What has enfolded, however, is very disheartening, except I suppose for those who love tall buildings, but beyond that there really isn't much else on offer for people who enjoy urban spaces.
There has been master planning for decades, in the form of the Official Plan, Secondary Plans, and urban design guidelines. These are exactly the documents that the city uses when planning reports recommend changes to development applications, like the 16 York proposal. Just curious, what type of development do you think would provide enjoyable urban space? Going by what's been proposed and built so far, it will feel a lot like the financial district, except with more residential and more street retail. Sounds like an improvement to me.

My only issue with 16 York is that the podium should be beefed up and the towers could be spaced out a bit more. Maybe one 100 storey condo tower instead of two ~60 storey ones.

But really, densely packed high rises of similar heights don't take away from the urban experience. Midtown Manhattan anyone?

As Toronto urbanises I'm sure the view from the Gardiner will only become more impressive.

gardiner_high_night_longshot_01.jpg

From DDOI

Why can't we tear down everything at King and Bay, dig a meg-pond (something almost as nice the one in Central Park) and install canoe taxis and trout fishing? I think this is a world class move.

Because it'd go way over budget, the city would fight about what to tax for a canoe taxi ride, and there would be fear that trout will either (a). attack children, or (b). be fished out of existence during the summer.

I'm curious as to how this will change the 18 York design. That advertising fin on the south side makes no sense now. I hope they just re-design the whole thing--the old design looks cheap beside that smart looking Aa office building. This will be Aa's first office tower, won't it?
Thanks for posting the source, ziggy. Lots of treats in there. I was surprised to see a new rendering for the Union Station (where did that come from). Though I'm not surprised that they're not building the art nouveau version they proposed earlier. I wonder if the design for the roof replacement has changed. Anyways, even if the quality of the presentation is poor, it's good to see the city is still thinking about the pedestrian problem. I'm wonder what they are intending with the 'direct pedestrian connection'(s) around the gardiner on the last page of the .pdf.

There has been master planning for decades, in the form of the Official Plan, Secondary Plans, and urban design guidelines. These are exactly the documents that the city uses when planning reports recommend changes to development applications, like the 16 York proposal.

Am I missing the 'master' plan/vision here? There is more to city planning than setting height limits on buildings, imo. What I see happening amounts to ad hoc planning and piecemeal development that is driven by private interests.

Just curious, what type of development do you think would provide enjoyable urban space? Going by what's been proposed and built so far, it will feel a lot like the financial district, except with more residential and more street retail. Sounds like an improvement to me.

But really, densely packed high rises of similar heights don't take away from the urban experience. Midtown Manhattan anyone?

Indeed that would be an improvement, but I don't think I'm perceiving the same thing you are. I certainly don't get a Midtown Manhattan vibe here, as there is far more to Midtown Manhattan than height! The areas emerging south of the Gardiner are starting to feel more like North York to me than downtown Toronto. Have you ever walked up Yonge Street from say Sheppard to Finch? Not a very engaging urban experience! I'm not an urban planner and admit that i don't know what that magic mix of planning/development is that creates a downtown Toronto vs a downtown North York/Mississauga, but I do know that I don't see it being done in the area in question and that bothers me. If you look at earlier pictures you will see that there was essentially a blank canvas down to the waterfront, one that has been frittered away because of a lack of vision and/or commitment (financial, poltical or otherwise). I'm sure things will turn out 'okay' but I'm doubtful the area will boast the same sort of urban feel you experience north of the highway.

Back