News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto’s Waterfront

They didn’t mention the Island Airport. 🤔

Here's the economic impact statement they include:
Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 2.56.30 PM.png

I mentioned this in the Billy Bishop thread but I'll repeat here with additional thoughts

The question to ask about this is: How much of that GDP/jobs would be lost if the airlines move their operations to Pearson? Does Pearson have capacity to absorb those trips, and if so would that economic impact remain, but just arrive via Pearson?
What about the potential GDP/jobs impact of other potential uses of that land? Even in you lost 25% of the economic impact by moving the trips to Pearson, could a big destination on the central waterfront make up for that or even exceed it?

These types of numbers seem huge, but they need to be put in context of alternative uses.

Also, when you look at their principles, every single one would support eliminating the airport to achieve the stated goals.
1. Get on the water-- Billy Bishop lands currently stands between downtown and Hanlan's the best beach in the city
2. Become a true destination and 3. Create centres of gravity -- This land is the opportunity to create a car-free, walkable, attractive destination that would be a draw for tourists and locals alike away
4. Become permeable -- A pedestrian/cycling connection here would be a gateway from downtown to the islands. Billy Bishop is a barrier.
5. Waterfront for everyone -- most people aren't "business travellers," this would a free way to access the city's best asset, the islands.
6. Lead on sustainability -- air travel is a carbon nightmare
7. Redefine the waterfront -- this would become the defining element of the waterfront
8. Make the waterfront a team effort -- Can PortsToronto admit that they need to give this up for the benefit of the wider city?
9. Unify the region narrative -- a Car-free, Walkable, multi-use, recreation and tourism focused district would say "Toronto is a place you want to be"

I really think if done right this would a game changer for the waterfront and the city's image. It could be the pride of Toronto.
But some people would rather have a slightly faster way to escape. I'll never understand it.

Quote Reply

Just a few excerpts from the precursor to the City’s Cultural Plan to be released in the Fall. Of interest to me was the suggestion of increasing the use of structures in Exhibition Place and potential meanwhile uses similar to Downsview. Combined with this is the potential of increasing connections to Liberty Village to the north. Maybe we will see a few more connections over the rail corridor proposed?

Special mention was made of the Gibraltar Point faculty and expanding it to be a major cultural institution. I also like the inclusion of major parks as potential cultural spots so outdoor exhibits on the water, enlarged pavilions for events and performance spaces. Finally there are two reps from OCADU and the Cinesphere would make an iconic waterfront campus in the right designer’s hands! 🤔

More later.

IMG_3139.jpeg

IMG_3140.jpeg
IMG_3141.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg
IMG_3143.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a quick example of what a ‘meanwhile’ use can look like. This is a temporary venue for the Stratford Symphony on a beautiful farm outside town adjacent to a river.

IMG_3161.jpeg

Just a few excerpts from the precursor to the City’s Cultural Plan to be released in the Fall...
... Finally there are two reps from OCADU and the Cinesphere would make an iconic waterfront campus in the right designer’s hands! 🤔
I think it'd be neat if they could come up with some way to better utilize the outside of the Cinesphere as much as the inside. Maybe not quite like Las Vegas's "Sphere", (I'd prefer something unique), but something.

Back