News   Jun 17, 2024
 172     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Toronto’s Waterfront

Would there be any incentive for Redpath to (for lack of a better term) "jazz up" the connection between the central waterfront and sugar beach? Pulling people east would definitely be in the cities interest to show off Villiers island and potentially get the greater portlands redeveloped, and Cherry Beach isnt that far especially compared to Sunnyside.

If Redpath or the city made that connection less dreary, more pedestrians would likely continue eastward. Perhaps an LRT on QQ would help 👀

As
Would there be any incentive for Redpath to (for lack of a better term) "jazz up" the connection between the central waterfront and sugar beach? Pulling people east would definitely be in the cities interest to show off Villiers island and potentially get the greater portlands redeveloped, and Cherry Beach isnt that far especially compared to Sunnyside.

If Redpath or the city made that connection less dreary, more pedestrians would likely continue eastward. Perhaps an LRT on QQ would help 👀
The Sugar Ships need to dock, so there cannot be a continuous Waterfront Promenade but WT have well developed (and funded) plans for improving QQE. Take a look at: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/our-projects/queens-quay-east

As

The Sugar Ships need to dock, so there cannot be a continuous Waterfront Promenade but WT have well developed (and funded) plans for improving QQE. Take a look at: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/our-projects/queens-quay-east

I know that the ships cant be blocked as it is an active refinery, but like, plant some trees and open up the path between them and pier 27? Add some trees to the sidewalk on the north side? Maybe add a little sugar shack on the sidewalk like they do for the Christmas Market in the distillery? Just like, little things

I know that the ships cant be blocked as it is an active refinery, but like, plant some trees and open up the path between them and pier 27? Add some trees to the sidewalk on the north side? Maybe add a little sugar shack on the sidewalk like they do for the Christmas Market in the distillery? Just like, little things
Look at the WT plans for the right-of-way - it has trees etc. Redpath used to run a museum, it was quite interesting but never re-opened after covid and already had rather unreliable opening hours. If/when there are more pedestrians then they might re-open it and even run a sugar shack or place to get maple cookies!

Look at the WT plans for the right-of-way - it has trees etc. Redpath used to run a museum, it was quite interesting but never re-opened after covid and already had rather unreliable opening hours. If/when there are more pedestrians then they might re-open it and even run a sugar shack or place to get maple cookies!
I was looking forward to going to that museum so I do hope they re-open it!

I was looking forward to going to that museum so I do hope they re-open it!
We just went by the Redpath refinery today for Doors Open. They are open tomorrow as well (May 26). They have a few tents in the entrance area with some artifacts and information -- perhaps some of it is from the former museum? Just a guess. We also got to go into the big warehouse building with the huge piles of sugar, and on the way out, we received a free sugar cookie. All in all I cannot complain.

We just went by the Redpath refinery today for Doors Open. They are open tomorrow as well (May 26). They have a few tents in the entrance area with some artifacts and information -- perhaps some of it is from the former museum? Just a guess. We also got to go into the big warehouse building with the huge piles of sugar, and on the way out, we received a free sugar cookie. All in all I cannot complain.
Yes, it was on my list for this year, alas I've run out of time. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed they'll at least do Doors Open every year.

Published Tuesday, May 28, 2024 1:36PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, May 28, 2024 4:06PM EDT
A collaborative approach must be taken to best develop the city’s central waterfront, says a new report by Toronto Region Board of Trade (TRBOT).
Released on Tuesday, the 47-page report, titled “Ripple Effect: Unlocking Toronto’s Waterfront Potential,” was developed in collaboration with the Business of Cities and is sponsored by the Waterfront Business Improvement Area (BIA). It highlights the various roles Toronto’s waterfront plays in the municipal economy and outlines key priorities to optimize the area’s value down the line.
To do so, two fast-track recommendations are being offered: a “team waterfront” approach coupled with a series of projects that will improve its connectivity with the rest of the city.

To cement Toronto as a global hub of business, tourism, and liveability, we need to transform our waterfront from a diamond in the rough to our city’s crown jewel.

The report offers two fast track recommendations to unlock the waterfront’s potential:

1. A series of projects to improve connectivity into and across the waterfront;
  2. A “team waterfront” approach to develop this critical asset in a coordinated, strategic way.
Using research prepared by the Business of Cities, the report also outlines nine principles to transform this area based on global best practices seen in other waterfront cities.

Published Tuesday, May 28, 2024 1:36PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, May 28, 2024 4:06PM EDT
A collaborative approach must be taken to best develop the city’s central waterfront, says a new report by Toronto Region Board of Trade (TRBOT).
Released on Tuesday, the 47-page report, titled “Ripple Effect: Unlocking Toronto’s Waterfront Potential,” was developed in collaboration with the Business of Cities and is sponsored by the Waterfront Business Improvement Area (BIA). It highlights the various roles Toronto’s waterfront plays in the municipal economy and outlines key priorities to optimize the area’s value down the line.
To do so, two fast-track recommendations are being offered: a “team waterfront” approach coupled with a series of projects that will improve its connectivity with the rest of the city.

To cement Toronto as a global hub of business, tourism, and liveability, we need to transform our waterfront from a diamond in the rough to our city’s crown jewel.

The report offers two fast track recommendations to unlock the waterfront’s potential:

1. A series of projects to improve connectivity into and across the waterfront;
  2. A “team waterfront” approach to develop this critical asset in a coordinated, strategic way.
Using research prepared by the Business of Cities, the report also outlines nine principles to transform this area based on global best practices seen in other waterfront cities.
Ok, first up a direct link to the Report:

Second, the report has pages and pages of history, backpatting and general examples of successful waterfronts internationally......

We finally get Toronto itself on p.32:

1716929837627.png

1716929906528.png

1716929932181.png

1716929966913.png

1716929987958.png

1716930012950.png

I have to be frank here, I'm rather unimpressed.

I consider most of the above to be remarkably generic, non-specific and not really actionable.

I'm not a huge fan of reports like this as they chew up time and money that could have been spent doing something.

I think the odd report/masterplan is fine, to both inspire change, layout a proverbial road map, and set benchmarks you can check progress against.

But it needs to be a very good plan, one with either implementation funding attached or a clear idea who needs to be lobbied in government or in the philanthropic sector in order to get said funding.

Last edited:
I read this and keep thinking "but what about Harbourfront?" If prioritizing stuff for people to do down by the water is important, where's the funding for what we already have? We had a popular ice rink there. We have a pretty nice art gallery and event space there. Sure, new & shiny & expanded are all good, but maintenance is also important.

But so as not to be a total Debbie Downer - what's this about commuting? Do they simply mean to the islands, or is this a hint that we might get water taxis/buses permitted to go to other spots along the shoreline?

Another two points - I like the multiple references to better integrating the area under the Gardiner. I would have preferred a bigger emphasis/push for funding for the Waterfront East LRT (it is mentioned though).

Back