News   Aug 30, 2024
 903     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 484     0 

Tired of the Toronto box?

The only buildings pictured here that I like are that bank tower in Hong Kong and the Iceberg in Tokyo - which is amazing by the way. The rest don't impress me that much. Some are just plain ugly, and if that is best you can come up with, then I say stick with the box. IF you don't like box, you could always move to Mississauga.

The only buildings pictured here that I like are that bank tower in Hong Kong and the Iceberg in Tokyo - which is amazing by the way. The rest don't impress me that much. Some are just plain ugly, and if that is best you can come up with, then I say stick with the box. IF you don't like box, you could always move to Mississauga.

I think the fuji tv building and the triangle shaped building are interesting. It's different. As for Mississauga. I think their absolute tower is stunning. It's not as good as the original concepted curves but still impressive none the less. I would like to live there if Mississauga wasn't so far away from downtown.

uno.jpg

Though, I guess theirs is a little flashier.

Both reminiscent of Gordon Bunshaft's Grace Building on 42nd St. in NYC:
grace_conde_nast.jpg

Ahh Buny..you did us proud.

Same here--same reason I like the One Park Tower in Mississauga. I'm sure it's as cheap as everyone here says it is up close, but when looking at the skyline it stands out nicely.

I'm not crazy about boxes of concrete and glass either, but there's not really much that can be done in architecture that is 'new' and unique without looking ugly as sin. Sometimes it feels like it's all been done. It's becoming harder to be both original and appealing.

I like this one, but that's because I have a soft spot for Art Deco.

I like it because I have a soft spot for the innocent early days of Postmodern skyscraper-building as the "next big thing", i.e. I ditch the jaded specs and act like it's 1982 once again...

Step 1: Found large mulit-national corporation

Step 2: Conquer the world

Step 3: Build edifice to the greatness of your accomplishment that is a non-box

Step 4: Have access to all the box you want, Toronto or elsewhere

I'm not really tired of them, but I would like to see more variety, especially in cultural projects. The TIFF condo tower, for example, is a missed opportunity IMO.

I actually am not bored with the 'box'. I think every city has its style. If you think about Miami, you think of Miami Modernist. New York gets you thinking of Art Deco. So Toronto has created its own style. I perosnally like the towers going up at cityPlace and other areas of Toronto and I am totally happy.

But maybe that's just me...

Back