News   Apr 26, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 525     0 

Throw away buildings - CBC

beaconer

Member Bio
Reaction score
(Not sure if this has been posted or not, tried to look for it but could not find a post.. Please delete if so..)

On CBC Radio Metro Morning today they presented a discussion/thesis that centres around how glass buildings (in particular condos) will be viewed in the future as "throw away" buildings and regrettable mistakes, a 'historical phenomena'. Glass buildings, ie like the likes of Cityplace, will become slums in the future due in large part to the maintenance costs (ie. zero insulating value, heat conduction,etc).

FYI CBC News and Metro Morning will be presenting this all next week..

Here is the link:
http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/columnists/mary-wiens/2011/11/11/throwaway-building/

Here is the Audio:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2166643524

First episode aired about 7:45am on CBC radio.. TV to be on tonight..

Here are two articles from the CBC site about their discussion:

Throw-away buildings:
The slow-motion failure of Toronto's glass condos

http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/condos/index.html

Over the past decade, Toronto's building boom has been dominated by tall glass condo towers.

They've transformed the look of city skylines all over the world – especially here in Toronto, where according to Emporis.comExternal Site we've built more towers per capita than any other city in North America. But it may be a trend that puts style over substance.

A small but growing chorus is sounding the alarm about the future of these buildings.

Building scientists have known for a long time that glass-walled structures are less energy efficient than the stone and concrete buildings that were put up forty of fifty years ago. But the market demand for glass combined with the relatively low cost of glass-wall construction means the building industry has been happy to oblige.

However, industry insiders warn that as energy costs climb, glass towers may become the "pariah" buildings of the future. In these stories, we explore the hidden costs of building with glass and
the slow-motion failure of window walls.

We also look at why the Ontario Building Code failed to make energy performance a priority.
Construction workers install a window wall on a new building. (Ted Kesik)

John Straube
John Straube

John Straube, a building science consultant and professor in the Department of Civil Engineering and School of Architecture at the University of Waterloo says glass condos are a "perfect reflection" of a society that's found it easier to throw things away than to build them to last.

"We have a hard time," says Straube, "thinking five years when we buy a laptop, ten years when we buy a car. With these buildings – both the skin and the mechanical systems are going to have to be redone in a 25-year time frame. The concrete structure will be there a long time but in 20, 25 years time, we are going to see a lot of scaffolding on the outside of the buildings as we replace the glazing, sealants and the glass itself."

Although falling glass from the condo balconies has attracted most of the public attention during the summer of 2011, building scientists warn that the long-term failure of the glass structures – although less sensational – is much more serious.

More: how thermal window failure happens
Window-wall systems

Most of them are built using window-wall systems which have next to no insulation value, except for a half inch of heavy gas between the two panels of glass.

As John Straube points out, what glass does really well is conduct heat. "A little experiment anyone can do at home is get a glass for drinking. Pour boiling water into it, and try and pick it up. You'll burn yourself."

Straube, along with building science colleagues like Ted Kesik at the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture at the University of Toronto, warns that as energy costs climb, the costs of heating and cooling glass towers will increase the monthly fees.

Kesik wrote a paper called The Glass Condo Conundrum (250KB .pdf) on the potential liabilities of glass towers.
The Glass Condo Conundrum

It's not just the energy costs. Glass structures require major maintenance much earlier in their life cycle than a traditional structure made of precast or brick.

A longer-lasting and more energy-efficient solution: masonry block behind a brick facade. Punched windows are used instead of windows from floor to ceiling. (Ted Kesik)

Straube warns maintenance costs will skyrocket in 20 to 25 years' time as the buildings age. The windows will begin to fog up, and the cost of replacing entire walls of glass will be prohibitive on highrise structures that can only be accessed from swing stages.

Building scientists talk about the life cycle of a building, akin to a human life cycle, language that encourages people like Straube to see a building as an organism. "It has lungs," says Straube, "it has veins, all of that stuff – it has a structural skeleton."

To Straube, a building is a living, breathing thing, enclosing the people who live inside. Building with glass walls is to miss the main point of a building, says Straube – sacrificing the protection that is a building's first duty for a beauty that is only skin-deep.

"It's almost derogatory in my world," says Straube, "to forget about everything else that's part of experiencing a building. I like to think what is this building going to be like on a dark and stormy night. In our climate particularly, we care about that. It's life and death."

Toronto's glass condos face short lifespan, experts say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/13/tor-glass-walled-condos.html

Many of the glass condominium towers filling up the Toronto skyline will fail 15 to 25 years after they’re built, perhaps even earlier, and will need retrofits costing millions of dollars, say some industry experts.

Buyers drawn to glass-walled condos because of the price and spectacular views may soon find themselves grappling with nightmarish problems, including:

Insulation failures.
Water leaks.
Skyrocketing energy and maintenance costs.
Declining resale potential.

One developer calls glass-walled condos “throw-away buildings†because of their short lifespan relative to buildings with walls made of concrete or brick.
CBC Toronto investigates condos

John Lancaster begins a three-part series Monday at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. on CBC News Toronto about the city's glass-walled condos — their short-term durability and their long-term costs.

“We believe that somewhere between, say, five and 15 [years], many, many of those units will fail,†said David House of Earth Development. He spoke to CBC as part of a special three-part series on the issue that starts Monday at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. on CBC News Toronto.

No other city in North America is building as many condo towers as Toronto, where they have reshaped the skyline, overshadowed once-prominent buildings such as the Rogers Centre and, in many areas, blocked Lake Ontario from view. Right now 130 new towers are under construction.
Not energy-efficient

Glass walls have been popular among developers and consumers alike because they’re cheaper than more traditional materials and make a good first impression. But they aren’t energy-efficient and come with a hidden price that could soar down the road, engineers say.

Floor-to-ceiling glass walls heat up and swell in the summer, freeze and contract in winter, and shift with the wind, engineers say. The insulating argon gas between the panes escapes, the seals are breached and the windows are rendered useless against the city’s weather.
David House of Earth Development calls glass-walled condo towers throw-away buildings.David House of Earth Development calls glass-walled condo towers throw-away buildings. (CBC)

Eventually, the glass walls — the skin of these condo high rises — might have to be replaced entirely, with condo owners picking up their share of the multimillion-dollar costs.

“Now is about when we should start seeing trouble with 1990s buildings, with the glass starting to get fogged up, the rubber gaskets and sealants starting to fail,†said John Straube, a building science engineer at the University of Waterloo.
Condo owners file suit

Complaints and lawsuits have already begun.

Condo owners in a tower off Front Street are suing the developer, Concord, claiming the window-wall system in the nine-year-old building near the Rogers Centre has defects and water is seeping through.

Toronto is also seeing the high cost of retrofitting a highrise. At First Canadian Place, a retrofit will take three years and $130 million to complete.

Straube said many condo owners have no idea about the expenses they’re in for and don’t ask the right questions.

“Do you want a building that is going to appreciate over the long term? Do you want a building that will be comfortable and energy-efficient? If so, you need to ask tougher questions of the marketplace.â€
Windows tempt buyers

The glass walls that undermine a condo’s durability and energy efficiency are a key part of the attraction when potential buyers first step into those sunlit spaces overlooking the city.

“To walk in and see trees, and just to see the city — it’s a wonderful thing,†said Kamela Hurlbut during a recent tour of a condo with her husband, Jason.

"We don’t have energy-efficiency ratings on condominiums and that’s too bad, because we get them on dishwashers, refrigerators, and they only cost a few hundred dollars.†— Ted Kesik, University of Toronto

For first-time buyers like the Hurlbuts, who eventually hope to own a detached house, a condo also seems the only affordable home-ownership option. Their estate agent, Linda Pinizzotto, emphasizes long-term costs as she tries to warn the couple away from glass walls.

“As time goes on, what they have to be concerned about are maintenance fees,†Pinizzotto said. “There’s certainly a lot more care and requirements in the building if they have floor-to-ceiling windows.â€

Glass-walled condos meet the requirements of the Toronto building code, although the code does not specify how long a building should last. Energy-efficiency is also a fuzzy area, since condos aren’t rated that way.

"We don’t have energy-efficiency ratings on condominiums and that’s too bad, because we get them on dishwashers, refrigerators, and they only cost a few hundred dollars,†said Ted Kesik, a professor of building science at the John H. Daniels faculty of architecture, landscape and design at the University of Toronto.

Janice Pynn, president of the Canadian Condo Institute, isn’t sure energy efficiency is a big factor for condo buyers initially — even for buyers who care about not wasting energy.

“People talk that they want it, but when it comes down to what it's going to cost them, it doesn't even come into the equation,†says Pynn, whose Simerra Property Management company manages 250 condos across the GTA.

“It really is ‘Can I afford to buy this?’ not 'What am I willing to pay to have agreen building, or a building in the long term, that will be far more economical, and cost-saving and for the environment?' They're just not asking those questions.â€

As John Straube points out, what glass does really well is conduct heat. "A little experiment anyone can do at home is get a glass for drinking. Pour boiling water into it, and try and pick it up. You'll burn yourself."

Oh boy.
Compare the temperature of the outside to the inside and then try to claim that glass is a good conductor.
High school science has failed him.

How disappointing.

No, don't get me wrong, I am not alarmed with the comments about all the glass-walled condos, that is obvious to the most common-minded. Expect retrofits en masse, sure.

It's just that I was hoping that they were referring to 10 Dundas St. E., and also the Canadian Tire/Ryerson mess at Bay and Dundas as "disposable" buildings. :p

The article makes it sound like glass buildings have only been around for 10-15 years, when we all know examples that date from the mid-1970s or earlier. I haven't noticed wholesale retrofits of the Ontario Hydro or Maclean-Hunter buildings, nor have I seen seen scaffolding on Royal Bank Plaza to replace the famous gold windows.

I'm certainly no engineer, but it all seems like alarmism to me.

I wouldnt blame the developers (they will build the cheapest product
that they can, and it is up to the consumers to either say "hey ya
this is something I want to buy" or "hey no this is shit and I refuse
to buy this"), they see a market and then they will fill the market,
it is the consumers who are oblivious to the real value of what they
are purchasing. Although one thing which does concern me is the
housing shortage, which skews the consumer market due to the lack of
choice.

Another thing, which is interesting (and often forgotten by housing
consumers), all buildings need and require upkeep- towers will also
fall into this category- and should be expected. It is a more
complicated car in some respects, everyone who buys a car knows that
they can only get a certain level of usage out of the car before it
becomes expensive to maintain. Nothing lasts forever, unless you are
talking about a solid stone block (the pyramids)- so I really have no
sympathy for these consumers who are now upset, they bought a home,
now you have to upkeep it.....its what happens especially when your
talking about windows and their seals.

Blovertis:

Commercial grade curtain wall in the examples you've listed likely have different specs than residential window walls - and I don't even know if the former is single or double paned.

AoD

Here's a bit of a comparison with a single pane glass commercial tower (if TD Tower can be considered as such):

In 2010, The TD Bank Tower just recently replaced (is replacing) their glass:

Reference here:
http://www.tdcentre.com/en/Revitalization/66Wellington/Pages/TowerPlaza.aspx

"To do this, the single pane windows were removed and replaced with thermal double pane windows along with the installation of a new roller shade system. All new windows are double paned Insulated Glass Units (IGUs). Panes are low-e and emit a low level of radiant energy - making them even more eco-friendly. In addition, these window panes are Argon-filled and will be tinted the original bronze colour to ensure consistency with the original architectural design."

TD Tower was completed in 1967. Reference Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto-Dominion_Centre). That would mean the maintenance window for a glass tower from 1967, assuming that the windows were never replaced during that time period, is actually 40+ years. (Ofcourse this point is moot if indeed the glass was replaced sometime in the middle.)

Anyhow, in this example, glass lasted twice as long as the 20-25 year maintenance window as mentioned in the feature as the beginnings of the failure point.

First Canadian Place chose what is now proven to be a faulty choice of material (i.e. marble), but regardless, the glass outlasted the marble.

Construction 1975 -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Canadian_Place
Begin Recladding 2008? ~35 years.

I know this is not the greatest example, as there are a lot of variables involved, and its a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but I think the motivation behind replacing the glass/exterior of TD was primarily due to efficiency, whereas for First Canadian it was due to failure (i.e. cladding was falling down).

Further, how buildings perform over time when they are very tall, with heavy materials hasn't been touched upon yet in the feature..

EDIT: At this point I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the feature, just a bit of devil's advocate.

Last edited:
There is also the example of the current replacement program for the windows at Toronto City Hall by C3 Polymeric:

http://www.c3group.com/documents/Case Histories - Toronto City Hall.pdf

My understanding is that the windows are 50+ years old, suffering from gasket failures (on top of being single-paned with notorious solar gain issues). Another high profile example is the UN HQ currently under renovation.

I suppose the main question is just how durable are the current double-glazed window wall units used in condo construction. Quoting a design life of 25 yrs is one thing - actual lifespan in real-world environments is another.

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto's new Condos will all be junk in 5 to 10 years!

According to this article (which mainly quotes just one source who sells something other than what he criticizes)

Huffington Post

Opinions? Are they right? Will all the new condos going up right now with glass curtains be doomed?

(This is bigger than CityPlace BTW, before all the normal CityPlace haters check in)

The only rational response to that article: LOL.

1) Toronto is NOT the first city in the world to use this construction method. If there were so many reasons not to build this way, then why is it happening in just about every area in the world? Where are the millions of complaints? Hong Kong has built many more condo towers with similar designs. Is their city falling apart?

2) The use of FCP to illustrate the cost of a retrofit proves the author's ignorance. It goes completely against what was said, and it's ironic that the windows were the only things not to be replaced in FCP's facade :/

That's right FCP's fascade was replaced because the marble not the glass was the problem IIRC.

Explain to me then why hasn't Vancouver or Hong Kong or Sydney, etc, collapsed to the ground?
What is with the fear mongering in the media these days? Does this strategy really sell papers?

Back