News   Jul 16, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 632     2 

Thinking of buying in Cabbagetown, comments?

We had the garage at the end of the garden demolished, and the garden expanded.
The owners before us also demolished the garage behind our house. While I like the garden, I'd love to have a garage for my Triumph workshop. The city's survey still shows a garage on the back of my house, so perhaps one day I'll rebuild a smaller motorcycle sized garage and see if the city complains.

Start construction at 5 pm on the Friday before a long weekend, and finish it on the Monday evening. That's what everyone who doesn't want to bother with a permit does.

According to Royal LePage, a standard two-storey home in Cabbagetown has fallen in value by 2.7% in the past year ( to $535,000 ), whereas a standard two-storey home across the valley in Riverdale has risen by 42.9% in the past year ( to $500,000 ).

The Riverdale market seems to be bearing lots and lots of families with small children these days.
We're seeing a lot of kids our daughters' age even here in Cabbagetown. I think the entire eastern part of the core is taking off nicely. Now if they'd only get moving on Regent Park - I swear that crane hasn't moved in days.

Are any of the displaced poor being temporarily housed north of Gerrard? I assume they're not far away. Are you and your neighbours taking any of them in? They must be as anxious as you are to see their nice new contemporary homes, designed by Peter Clewes etc., built and occupied so their lives can continue as before.

Are any of the displaced poor being temporarily housed north of Gerrard? I assume they're not far away. Are you and your neighbours taking any of them in? They must be as anxious as you are to see their nice new contemporary homes, designed by Peter Clewes etc., built and occupied so their lives can continue as before.
North of Gerrard perhaps, but further north than Cabbagetown and Rosedale I imagine, and more like Jane & Finch or Malvern.

My hope is that those who return to Regent Park will not want to continue their lives as before, living amoungst drug dealers, etc.

I lived on Berkeley, S of Gerrard, N of Dundas, for 6 years. Loved it. Had to move and now in Leslieville, which I enjoy. There are things I miss about Cabbagetown (Riverdale Park is great! for dogs, Farmer's market, Jet Fuel, etc.) but I do not miss the "rubbies"... crack addicts, beggars, back alley vagrants. They are plentiful in Cabbagetown. You'll get used to it, and it's a bit better north of Gerrard. It can just get tiring after awhile. And the day I came across a guy shooting up on my front stoop ... well, that was a bit much. Make friends with the neighbors, and the rubbies, and you'll be fine. Enjoy the neighborhood and your house.

I live in Cabbagetown. The house was originally built in 1846.

It's a semi-detached, 3 stories, with a large roof deck.

I love the area, but being from suburbs, it may just be city-living I'm in love with. You'll see your fair share of crack-heads and prostitutes, but I've never had a problem with anyone. Break-ins can be common, but they are usually very amateur attempts (a crack head looking for change).

Your kids will love the quick walk to the old zoo and necropolis.

It's worth mentionning that Cabbagetown is infested with termites. It has the worst infestation in Toronto. It doesn't stop people from buying though... Make sure the house is checked for damage.

Back