News   Jul 16, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 532     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 663     2 

Thinking of buying in Cabbagetown, comments?

Forget Cabbagetown. Riverdale is magic. There were fairies dancing at the bottom of my garden on Sunday afternoon ... and in the laneway! On Monday night the fireworks in Withrow Park were so much fun. I hadn't been for about ten years and - my, my - how the thing has grown.

Forget Cabbagetown. Riverdale is magic. There were fairies dancing at the bottom of my garden on Sunday afternoon ... and in the laneway! On Monday night the fireworks in Withrow Park were so much fun. I hadn't been for about ten years and - my, my - how the thing has grown.
I like Riverdale a lot, but it wasn't in my price range back in 1998 when we bought our semi in Cabbagetown.

At one time Cabbagetown was much more expensive to buy in than Riverdale. In the early 1980's my partner and I used to stroll through Cabbagetown at weekends, ogling the nice old homes. For 100 to 140 thousand you could get lovely gingerbread houses in that pocket of homes east of Parliament and north of Gerrard, in those days. By 1984 I was ready to buy, but prices skyrocketed. Eventually ( 1990 ) we bought in Riverdale. We only looked at half a dozen places before Ambrose pronounced, "You should buy that one" - so I did. We had the garage at the end of the garden demolished, and the garden expanded. I sat out there this morning, surrounded by the fragrances of lilac and lily of the valley; the pink tree peonies are just blooming and the irises about to flower.

I have a couple of wedding kimonos I bought at that Sunday antique market near you, in the mid-1990's, that have been worn a few times - though not in the back garden while I'm weeding and pruning.

groan.gif

Back