News   Apr 18, 2024
 717     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.7K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

The Weather

Just to let you know that Toronto and Eastern Canada is just an island on the climate change map...
274563648_323946049779917_4329299164680399898_n.jpg
From link.

Manitoba braces for ‘worst blizzard in decades,’ with up to 80 cm of snow

And it's April.

From link.

It appears winter hasn’t gotten the spring memo, as Manitoba and Saskatchewan are bracing for a blizzard this week.

A winter storm watch is in effect for southern Manitoba and southeastern Saskatchewan, with snowfall accumulations of 30 to 50 centimetres expected mid-week, along with northerly wind gusts of up to 90 kilometres per hour, said Environment Canada on Monday.

“Do not plan to travel — this storm has the potential to be the worst blizzard in decades,” the agency warns.

The storm is expected to start Tuesday night, as a Colorado low pressure system moving toward Minnesota will bring a “heavy swath of snow” from southeastern Saskatchewan through most of southern Manitoba.

Snow will start to fall early in the evening near the U.S. border and move north overnight. Blowing snow and high winds will cause zero visibility and whiteout conditions, making driving treacherous.

“Travel will become increasingly difficult as the day progresses Wednesday, with widespread highway closures a near-certainty. By Wednesday evening even travel within communities may become impossible as the heavy snow and strong winds continue,” reads the information on Environment Canada’s website.

By Friday morning, the affected regions could see snowfall accumulations between 30 to 50 centimetres, with possible accumulations approaching 80 centimetres in the higher regions of western Manitoba and the western Red River Valley.

The weather should start to improve on Friday, as the system will begin making its way toward northern Ontario.

With any aftermath of a storm, cleanup should continue well into next week.

Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight.

Last edited:
I see a cool off is coming for the weekend, which will be nice for me working inside. We're closing in on that time of year where if you live in a building that has not done the switch from heating to AC, it can get ridiculously hot inside compared to outside, especially in the afternoon when you have west facing windows. I see this afternoon my thermostat has crept up to 24 degrees now, and that's with the heat in my unit totally shut off for the past week, and the sliding door to the balcony open all day. Unfortunately the heat is coming in from the hallways, which I see are set to 21 degrees. It's virtually impossible to get my unit temperature under the outside temperature goes below zero.

I am content to leave the balcony door open for now, but the time bug and fly season is also coming soon. I spotted the very first one today, and they can easily wriggle through the little gaps at the side and bottom of the screen door to get in the unit. I'll have to keep it shut soon and rely on the one single window I have that actually opens.

Last edited:
When I see these floods in MB and AB I think, we know there's drought coming this summer, why don't we have reservoirs to collect all this surplus water? That's what ancient civilizations did, store the water during floods and use it for crop irrigation during droughts.

Saving flood water to get through the droughts​

Last edited:
It's unbelievable how fast it hit. We were driving to Brampton, never seen so many cars come to a complete stop like that on the highway. You couldn't see out the window, it was like driving in a car wash.

Lots of damage all over Brampton, GTA, Seems Uxbridge got it the worst..

Five people killed.

It's unbelievable how fast it hit. We were driving to Brampton, never seen so many cars come to a complete stop like that on the highway. You couldn't see out the window, it was like driving in a car wash.

Lots of damage all over Brampton, GTA, Seems Uxbridge got it the worst..

Five people killed.

Uxbridge looks as though it may have been hit by an EF1 Tornado, but that's not yet confirmed. At the very least there were winds exceeding 130km/ph.

A couple of pics, credit is embedded in the images:

1653266527845.png

1653266596344.png

I sourced both images at: https://www.thestar.com/local-oshaw...idge-reeling-the-morning-after-the-storm.html

That storm - or at least the weather pattern that developed enough energy to evolve into a storm, travelled at least 1000km from west or London and on into Quebec and, at times, was dozens of kilometres wide. Although completely different in structure and origin, it had the impact of a hurricane rather than a tornado, which are relatively quite localized.

Relying on media can be a bit deceptive and sometimes leave the impression that it was series of localized events. Uxbridge got a fair bit of coverage because it was particularly hard hit and is an easy scamper for Toronto media. Peterborough has been reported on as well, and Ottawa got a lot of coverage as well, not only because of the level of disruption but because it has the media commensurate with a community that size. But the Hydro One outage map still shows a wide swath of outages from the GTA to east of Ottawa. As of Tuesday (when both they and Hydro Ottawa gave up trying to report restoration progress ) they were still reporting 150K customers without power, and this is just for their service area.

Back