News   Aug 07, 2024
 422     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 381     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 298     0 

The Weather

Looks like we're in for the long haul. Predictions that we may expect similar heat throughout the summer right to Labour Day range. 🥵

Today is brutal, reminds me of the wedding I attended a few years ago in New York where the vows were exchanged outdoors...

Looks like we're in for the long haul. Predictions that we may expect similar heat throughout the summer right to Labour Day range. 🥵

Today is brutal, reminds me of the wedding I attended a few years ago in New York where the vows were exchanged outdoors...

We might have a brutal drought this summer.

That and COVID-19.

We'll get a quick "break" this weekend and next Monday where temperatures will only reach the high-20's hopefully thanks to some expected rain and thunderstorms. However, we'll be back in the 30's again for most of next week...

We'll get a quick "break" this weekend and next Monday where temperatures will only reach the high-20's hopefully thanks to some expected rain and thunderstorms. However, we'll be back in the 30's again for most of next week...

Not enough relief!!!

I'm in my home office right now.

I have a/c in this room and in my Master bedroom and Living/Dining.

The current indoor temperature is 24C with a humidity of 60% (feels like 28)

The only saving grace is that its 27/34 outside right now.

I can't imagine the people who don't have A/C

We need to take action to combat the urban heat island effect in this City! The fact that temps dont' drop overnight as much as they should is not merely weather, but all that overheated concrete and pavement.

We need to pass a by-law that all surface parking must be under 70% canopy, minimum.

We need to narrow our side streets and mandate the same goal.

We need to provide better street trees and eliminate 7-lane roads all together and at least get sidewalks under 70% canopy or more.

Then we need to set a maximum temperature by-law for landlords and make sure every long-term care home is fully air conditioned.

We also desperately need more drinking fountains in this town!

Not enough relief!!!

I'm in my home office right now.

I have a/c in this room and in my Master bedroom and Living/Dining.

The current indoor temperature is 24C with a humidity of 60% (feels like 28)

The only saving grace is that its 27/34 outside right now.

I can't imagine the people who don't have A/C

We need to take action to combat the urban heat island effect in this City! The fact that temps dont' drop overnight as much as they should is not merely weather, but all that overheated concrete and pavement.

We need to pass a by-law that all surface parking must be under 70% canopy, minimum.

We need to narrow our side streets and mandate the same goal.

We need to provide better street trees and eliminate 7-lane roads all together and at least get sidewalks under 70% canopy or more.

Then we need to set a maximum temperature by-law for landlords and make sure every long-term care home is fully air conditioned.

We also desperately need more drinking fountains in this town!

I usually try to find ways to give my A/C a break for conserving energy considerations. But that's been impossible for the past couple weeks with how relentless the heatwave has been. Majority of the evening and night hours barely provide any relief as the humidity remains keeping temperatures high.

On the topic of water fountains in the city, here's what Brad Ross recently said about them:

I usually try to find ways to give my A/C a break for conserving energy considerations. But that's been impossible for the past couple weeks with how relentless the heatwave has been. Majority of the evening and night hours barely provide any relief as the humidity remains keeping temperatures high.

On the topic of water fountains in the city, here's what Brad Ross recently said about them:

Given that we've established a generally low risk of fomite transmission of Covid (from objects); and that water coming out of a water fountain shouldn't hit any objects once exiting a pipe; there is no logic to any extraordinary cleaning requirement.

Sigh.

Somebody imposes something stupid because they don't know better, someone else goes along with it because they don't know better or care enough to say 'no'.

We need to expand deep lake water cooling in this town. I wonder if there are any good ways to use the existing domestic water supply to do it.

AoD

Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor Doug Ford sold Enwave in 2012, for the one-time funding. Which quickly disappeared. Now you want the city to expand the deep lake water cooling, which is what Enwave was doing for a profit for the city.

From link.

Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor Doug Ford sold Enwave in 2012, for the one-time funding. Which quickly disappeared. Now you want the city to expand the deep lake water cooling, which is what Enwave was doing for a profit for the city.

From link.

Nope, I am not talking about the Enwave per se - I am talking about the possibility of using the existing domestic water supply for small-scaled application (not building a separate plant with dedicated cooling).

AoD

It's going to be a long, hot summer in Toronto, Environment Canada says

Sweltering temperatures expected to stick around through July, August

Jul 08, 2020

This summer has also seen scorching temperatures take hold earlier than usual.

Southern Ontario has already had 19 days above 30 C. In most years there are about 16, and last year had just 11 days with highs above 30 C. There have also been several days with recorded highs around 29.5 C, just cool enough to be excluded from the heat wave data.

"And we're not even in the dog days of summer. That is usually in about two weeks," Phillips told guest host Jill Dempsey. "This is clearly not something that we often see."

-----------
The other "worrying" element, he continued, are drought conditions.

In the last 27 days, only a "thimbleful" of rain has fallen in the GTA. When rain has fallen, it's been sporadic.

"Everything is like a thunderstorm where it rains in your front yard but not your backyard. And that's not going to correct the situation at all," Phillips said.

"What we want is the kind of rain that would spoil your summer holiday. We need a slow, drenching, soaking rain —morning, noon and night — for three or four days" if plants and crops are to bounce back.

Finally some rain today! Probably gonna still stay relatively hot afterwards, but it's so refreshing to see some rainfall for a change.

Nope, I am not talking about the Enwave per se - I am talking about the possibility of using the existing domestic water supply for small-scaled application (not building a separate plant with dedicated cooling).

AoD

I was originally going to say not likely in our humid climate, but then I came across this:

I don't know how scalable it is.

Traditionally, the efficiency of transferring heat without changes of state of the refrigerant has been pretty low. We bought a house in Aurora back in the mid-70s that had a water jacket a/c unit which still had a compressor, refrigerant, etc. but used water to carry away the heat - no outside unit, but it ran, a lot. I had never seen one before or since. The town had flat rate water at the time so it simply ran down the drain. Folks in hot but dry climes can often get away with evaporation cooling ('swamp coolers'). Getting rid of the humidity is at least half the battle.

Alright. Who wished for rain?

Thunderstorm watch ends but sudden downpour causes severe flooding in several parts of Toronto

From link.
_1colbeck_and_windermere_damage.jpg

Toronto’s mean annual temperature is 9.4 degrees Celsius. We don’t need to reduce the heat island effect, we need to increase it!

Many of the heat island mitigation ideas created for warmer Cities aren’t really logical for us because of our generally cold weather. We really just need to get through a few months of sporadic daytime heat waves.

Plant more trees and gardens. Smarter use of awnings. Tap into natural reservoirs of cold like our lakes and the ground under our feet.

The rest of the year we need to concentrate on how to more efficiently capture heat.

Back