News   Jul 15, 2024
 263     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 401     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
To the critics of TLS is what we had before the expropriation better or worse than what we have today? Does the construction of TLS subtract from the area or simply not add as much to the area as it should?

I would say it's better than what was there before, but not good enough. They built this from scratch; anything, design-wise, could've gone there.

From this morning...I'm sure the view is / will be great!

YoneandDundas.jpg

YoneStreet.jpg

I had lunch yesterday at milestone's patio just to see what the place was like. The restaurant was practically empty although the patio was full (we got the last table on the patio). Food is what you would expect from places like this. There are definitely better and worse places to eat in the area. The view from the patio was pretty unimpressive. I'm not sure if replacement of the railing would improve things all that much. They definitely need umbrellas or an awning as it got really hot once the sun came out. I probably won't go back.

I still would like to have lunch on the Jack Astor's patio just to compare. I was there a few weeks ago, but the patio was full. My feeling is that that will be the extent of my dining in this building. Going up all those escalators in a dark dingy building pretty much destroyed my appetite both times.

We had dinner at Milestone's last Friday night - their second night open. The entire restaurant was busy and the patio was full (40 min wait). At night the restaurant looks amazing and the food is what you'd expect or better than most chain restaurants I'd say. We had a great time and really appreciated the interior design of the restaurant (by II by IV) despite the lack of interior design for the rest of the complex.

Of the two patios, I'd say that Jack Astor's, with its view over Dundas Square, is the better placed of the two. Were they to replace their railings with glass I'd probably go sometime.

BTW, Jack Astor's has possibly the most engaging website I have been to in a long while. It is thoroughly thought out and goes perfectly with the restaurants' overall theming. Next time I want a themed dinner, I'm in.

In the first picture, just to the right of the easternmost traffic light, there is a set of three canopies which are not connected to the curved, Adidas facade. The other day, I noticed that one of these panes has shattered. Aside from the pattern which the broken glass makes, it looks terrible.

Wow. Thanks for the great pictures. For the record, despite its flaws, I think this photo is proof that this project has added much to this intersection.

Yeah, it added a Future Shop, Extreme Fitness, Adidas store, Jack Astors, Milestones, Shoppers Drug Mart, and a whole bunch of other stores and even some offices. I don't think anyone will debate that.

Yeah, it added a Future Shop, Extreme Fitness, Adidas store, Jack Astors, Milestones, Shoppers Drug Mart, and a whole bunch of other stores and even some offices. I don't think anyone will debate that.

I meant it looks better. Does anyone miss this?

yonge-main2.jpg

Image credit: Cheryl Hnatiuk/Toronto Star

Go to your room.

Yonge-Dundas Square itself is a delightful and popular addition to the city, very well used by hosers of all stripes, and clearly an improvement on what was there before. But the commercial ventures that surround it aren't housed in appreciably more attractive buildings - just bigger ones - as a result of the recent round of construction.

I don't think the purpose of new buildings in that part of town should be to disguise the crass, commercial nature of Yonge and Dundas by, for instance, swathing new structures in "classy" limestone. That would be pretentious. It isn't an area that needs to be saved from itself ... or spun as something it isn't. While fully accepting the commercial character of what's already there, the new additions could have been thought out as clearly during the design process as our best new cultural or residential buildings have been. What a pity that approach wasn't taken.

That picture brings back memories...............

Anyways.... - The TLS foodcourt seems to be packed with young hipsters. They make me feel old. - I think I should go back to taking my dinner breaks at the Atrium on Bay.....

Back